4 comments

Drama Mystery Suspense

It is 4:45 a.m., according to my watch. The plane I'm on now is scheduled to be struck by lightning at precisely 5:55 a.m., at which point it will begin a downward spiral and spin out of control. And then it'll fall into the ocean, killing everyone on board.

Because of my acceptance of my predicament, I am able to keep my emotions under control.

Over the last month I have had recurring dreams about this happening, so I know it is inevitable. But it is only now in less than an hour, whilst I am on this plane that I can properly recall my fateful dream.


Just a few hours ago, my colleague Brett Simms and I were together working in Bangkok. We had been closing a deal to sell shoes made in our company's Vietnamese facilities to a Thai retailer. However, due to a few contract matters, Brett will not be traveling with me on the same flight. He plans to stay in Bangkok to finalize the agreement's language and have it signed. His flight will leave a few hours after mine.


Brett is one lucky person!

This catastrophic flight he will miss!


He is surely the luckiest man alive.


Earlier today, I was checking out at the Bangkok airport: Suvarnabhumi .. many times I have passed through here. Constant activity characterizes this place. Following completion of the necessary check-in procedures, I am now in the Business Class lounge. The service staff are friendly and helpful. They check my boarding pass and greet me with the Thai greeting: "Sawatdee Kup Khun John".

Buchan is my full name, but because no one can usually pronounce my surname (the h is silent), I'm delighted the Thais just call me "John" including the respectful Khun, which translates to "Mr." in English.

But I digress....


One thing I remember about the Business Class lounge is that the employees wear predominantly purple outfits.

If only then I'd put two and two together back in the lounge!

A few weeks before this trip to Bangkok, I dreamed that the color purple was a portent of impending doom in a plane crash.

Unfortunately, I didn't understand the significance of that hue until now, when it is already too late.

The curtain will fall on this chapter of my existence very soon.


Even though my dreams had warned me that purple represents catastrophe and extinction, I ignored the signs. Or rather failed to join the dots of my dream with my current flight until it is too late.


I had a weird feeling in the lounge, but I never recognized the link between my dreams and this fatal trip.


After relaxing for a bit in the lounge, I strolled around the airport wondering about the strange preponderance of purple in my thoughts.

Alas!

The connection to my premeditated dreams had eluded me.


I explored the airport's duty-free stores before settling into a lively but inviting bar. I took a seat at the counter and saw that the passenger next to me had ordered Jack Daniels.

"I'll have the same as him." I told the bartender.

I made polite conversation with that fellow traveler, but my thoughts kept returning to the deja vu sensations I'd been having about purple and then, now the taste and smell of Jack Daniel's that was also in my dream.

Sadly, I did not then sense the obvious until right now!


I headed to the boarding area as my flight departure time approached. I was able to get on the plane after showing both my boarding pass and passport when my row was called. The Thai employee who checked my information was friendly and helpful, greeting each passenger and thanking them for their custom. Unfortunately, instead of smiling when saying farewell to leaving passengers, he grimaced every time he had to return their documents and allowed them to embark.

Did he foresee even unwittingly the impending disaster?

Is it at this time that I realize that maybe the grimace, whether it was intended or not, is a final farewell to everyone on this tragic flight as a facial grimace is also in my dream.

Now I am on the plane, less than some minutes away from my demise!


I have buckled my seatbelt. Although I am controlling myself, my worry and great sadness are hidden behind a face mask and a pair of sunglasses.

Before I go to meet my maker or whatever, I want to take one final look around. The vast majority of my fellow passengers are currently fast asleep, blissfully unaware of their impending end. A clear picture of my recent nightmares has emerged in my mind. I smell Jack Daniels and see purple and a permanent "good-bye" grimace on a face.


In a few seconds I predict a member of staff will come down the aisle and ask if I need any help. I'm in the window seat, and the empty seat next to me belonged to my co-worker Brett, who is now on a later flight.


Just as I was resigning myself to my impending death, the helpful staff comes along and as predicted asks me:

"Pardon me, sir, are you all right?"

I answered her question immediately by assuring her that I was alright. I was having a quick nap before touching down.

It's pointless to be honest.

There's no hope for any of us.


I took out my wallet and, thankfully, found some powerful sleeping tablets.These may help alleviate the blow during my impending death.

In my mind's eye, I can recall Brett urging me to take this flight and he'd catch a later one.


Due to him I am about to expire.

I do not blame him...

My fate is sealed!


What a lucky guy Is Brett! 

I'm divorced, but he's married to the lovely Julie, and they have the cutest twins, Micky and Maisee.

Since my divorce, Brett and especially Julie have been nothing but supportive and kind to me. They deserve their luck.

I think I do too, but destiny seems to have other plans.

I check my watch, and its' almost 5.55am My mind keeps going back to the number 555 as the time my life will be at its' end, and I can now clearly recall the number 555 arising in my dream.


The medication is starting to work. Purple hues are all around me. Jack Daniel's whisky aroma is permeating my entire body. Here comes the finality of death for me and the rest of my unfortunate fellow travelers. A powerful, lethal crack of lightning flashes inside the plane; we immediately descend; screams and shouts of pain spread throughout my body and in the aircraft; the jet plunges to the ocean floor and in my final moments, I see Brett's wife looking into my eyes with sadness and grief. I'm holding her and her children in my arms...

I pray for God's blessing, and then there will be nothing.


                              *******************



Is this really it, though...?... The pills I took earlier are blocking me from opening my eyes, but I can feel my body trembling as someone tries to rouse me awoke. More and more of my body is shaking. At last, I'm able to open my eyes. My airplane seat belt is still on.

Two members of the crew are hovering over me. I wake up after being shaken even more vigorously.

"Excuse me sir, but are you all right? The plane has touched down, and you're the only one still on board."

Despite my lingering sleepiness, I'd rather not cause a scene or offer an honest justification.


I apologize but then explain that I needed the sleep.


My explanation appears to have satisfied them.



My God, I made it!

Yes, I am still alive.

So, then it was just a dream, that one about my death? I'm groggy and disoriented, but I manage to get my briefcase from the overhead compartment and exit the plane.

I don't want to scare anyone or make them uncomfortable by trying to describe what I've been through, so I won't say or do anything that would give away my true emotions.

I collect my suitcase at baggage reclaim and proceed through customs and arrivals with no problems. There appears to be an event taking place, since there are numerous television cameras and reporters in the area, but my sole worry is evacuating the airport as quickly as possible.

I am secure.


The meaning of my dream is unclear. Why the color purple? The whiff of whisky? The gloomy farewell expression on the Thai man's face?

People are waiting to meet incoming travelers as soon as I exit the arrivals area. 

But then:

A woman in full purple attire catches my eye. I'm going in her direction. There was a permanent grimace on her face, and as I get nearer, I can smell Scotch on her breath.

As we face each other, I recognize her as Julie, Brett's wife.

We lock gazes.

Her voice is filled with an unbearable mix of desperation and despair as she seems in urgent need for help.

Before I had a chance to respond, Julie sobs, "Brett's flight went down in the sea shortly after take-off...hit by lightning... seems there are no one left alive," uttering her words barely above a whisper.

With no father figure now for her kids, we lock eyes and simultaneously wonder if there is any hope for her and the twins.

The airport Tanoy keeps announcing:

"Will all those awaiting arrival of flight PWG 555 please report immediately to the main desk."

















May 12, 2023 01:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Ravi Srivastava
15:46 May 18, 2023

Very well told. Nice build-up and a great ending. Great job!.

Reply

Robert Radcliff
00:25 May 19, 2023

Thank you,,,,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Robert Radcliff
04:46 May 16, 2023

Jeannette, Thank you for the nice comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jeannette Miller
04:44 May 16, 2023

Robert, A twist! A god take on the prompt. Good job! Thought for sure he was toast :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.