Teeth and Claws

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery


Ouch, my head hurts. And my ribs feel sore. Why is the bed so hard? "Wait!" This isn't my bed. Why am I on the ground? I stand up and look around, "Am I in the woods?" I am barefoot, and still have the blanket from my bed.

I am completely surrounded by very large trees. It's dark. Dark enough that nothing can be seen beyond the trees. No stars or moon to navigate by. Why am I in a forest? Where is this? The nearest woods to my house is... what, like eighty-five miles or so away? Walking with no idea which direction to go, I head into the trees.

"This is a joke right?! HELLO?!" Only an echo back, hellooo-hellooo-hellooo. It is way too quiet; not even an owl hoot or a coyote howl. "It's not funny anymore. Come on, come out. I want to go home." Who are you even talking to? Who would prank you like this? You don't even have any friends! This makes no sense. I know I went to sleep in my own bed last night, as I do every night.

"Am I sleepwalking again?" I haven't slept walked in forever! Sleepwalking doesn't explain why I’m in a forest! Boy, it's creepy out here. Why is it so quiet? Shouldn't there be nature sounds, like crickets or something? How did I even get here?

"Kidnapping doesn't make sense." What kind of a kidnapper just drops someone in the middle of the woods and leaves them there?

"I don't even like nature. I live in a city for a reason. Why is this so spooky? It's just trees. Obviously there is nothing to be afraid of out here. I'm sure if there was a boogie man I would hear it." The silence is so thick that even my quiet footsteps seem loud. There is not even a breeze to rustle leaves. I hate this silence. Fill the air with something. Talking to myself outloud sounds crazy. Because doing it in your head is sane?

SNAP!

"What was that?!" I sowly spin around, straining to see through the darkness. If there is something out there it is too dark to see. Wait! What is that?! Floating in the blackness are two glowing orbs. Are those eyes?

"Oh heck no!" Too afraid to move, I just watch as the shining eyes slowly move around and around the way a predator stalks its prey. The only sound is the thud, thud, thud of my too loud heart beat and the breath of fear. Its circle gets tighter and tighter as the beast gracefully gets closer and closer.

Don't run from a wild animal. Instinct will force it to give chase. Be bigger. Be scarier. "Oh, I really do not want to do this." As if it heard me, it suddenly stops. I’m still unable to make out the creature who possesses those eyes, even at only fifteen feet away.

Here goes nothing. "AAAAGGGHHHH!!!" Running full speed ahead, arms raised, I have to suddenly skid to a stop. Mistake. It doesn't even flinch. Now five feet apart, standing eye level with each other, close enough to see the feline features, huge clawed paws, muscles rippling under tawny fur, the huge cat stands tall from its prowler's crouch.

Oh great, I'm fixing to be eaten by a giant mountain lion!

I’m frozen in fear as the graceful cat resumes its slow circling. "Really?" It's voice is smooth and feminine. "What were you going to do? Chew me to death with your tiny flat teeth?" It sounds amused.

What in the nachos? It talks! Run-run-run!

"Don't run." Dust fills the air as it flops down on the ground like a pancake and rolls onto its back. "I need you to quit filling up my forest with the reek of your fear." It sounds annoyed.

Oh, this is a dream. That's weird, I have never been aware during a dream before.

"Oh deary, this isn't a dream." It sounds condescending.

"Wait, can you read my mind?" I’m starting to feel a little scared again.

"Why are you here?" Now it sits eye to eye with me.

"It has to be a dream. I just woke up here. Shouldn't I be waking up now that I know I'm dreaming?" Pinching my skin changes nothing, just causes pain. "Ouch!"

"I told you it isn't a dream. So why are you here?" Annoyed.

Something feels off. You know this isn't a dream. Deep down you know. Then what the heck?! I'm becoming even more afraid.

"What did I tell you about that fear? It attracts a sort which I don't want to deal with tonight." It stands back up and starts pacing back and forth.

"How am I supposed to be not afraid? I just..."

"Too late! Stay out of the way!" A huge claw swipes through the air, the breath is knocked out of lungs and the skin ripped from my back by the bark of a tree. What plays out next is epic enough that the pain is not even noticable.

It is silhouetted against the dark sky, blacker than the night, it's wingspan must be twenty feet across. Huge gusts of wind blow up dirt and leaves with every powerful thrust. It gracefully maneuvers the giant spruce trees as it descends toward the great cat.

It's close enough now that the rough red skin of it's long powerful legs are visible in the dark. On each of its long, slender, reaching fingers is a footlong talon and on the inside of each ankle a three foot long spur.

The cat slips through its grasp last second and pounces, wrapping herself around its neck, teeth piercing skin, claws scratching and tearing. The giant bird gnashes its curved serrated beak, ripping at the cat with its talons. Fur and feathers fall to the ground.

"I smell it! It's mine! Give it to me, or I will take it." It's voice is gravely and sounds like multiple voices over-laying each other.

"Over my dead body Crowley!" They tossle, rolling around on the ground and sometimes in the air.

Suddenly the bird grips the cat by the scruff of her neck and throws her down to the ground and is on top of her, talons around her throat. They are both panting, chests pumping up and down, exhausted from the struggle.

"That could be arranged, Roara." It's yellow eye flicks to its prospective meal.

"You know what will happen if you eat that? And especially if you kill me?" She isn't fighting back.

"One day Roara, you're father won't be around to protect you, or them!" With four huge pumps of its wings the monster bird leaps into the sky and disappears into the dark.

The giant cat rolls to her feet and sits there cleaning the blood from her claw.

"A-a-are you ok?" Getting up stretches the skin, causing my back to scream with pain. "OW!"

"What did I tell you about that stench!?" She spreads her paw wide to better get between her toes.

I shiver and wrap my blanket tight around my shoulders.

The cat slams her paw down on the ground, "Stop being afraid!"

"Well how in the blue moon am I supposed to not be afraid?! I just woke up in these dark woods, got stalked by a giant, talking, mind-reading cat, and then some dinosaur bird tried to EAT ME!?" I stomp my foot mirroring her actions.

The cat starts laughing.

"What is so funny?" I cannot believe I am being laughed at by a huge talking tiger. She stops laughing.

"Not a tiger. And you know what, don't call me a cat either, it's so belittling. Just call me Roara. Now tell me your name." She switches to licking the other paw.

"Tell me why I'm here." My arms crossed.

"Tell me your name." She stops grooming and makes eye contact.

"Tell me why I'm..."

The cat launches forward, putting her face one inch away, "Tell. Me. Your. Name." Her tail twitches with each word.

Gulp. "Tony." I'm shaking again.

"Oh crap, stop being so touchy. There is nothing to be afraid of. Come on Tony." The cat starts walking into the darkness.

I try to catch up, "Wait! Where are we going?" The sudden movement causes the burn of the scrapes to come back. "OW!" Twisting to try to see that damage only hurts more. "OUCH!"

"What is wrong with you?" Her tone is irritated, but she returns with a flick of her tail.

"My back hurts." I'm still trying to get a look.

"Why?" Said as if she is placating me.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe because you threw me into a tree?!" I’m surprised by my tone. I more surprised that I am talking to a giant cat.

"Don't be such a baby, turn around and lift your coverings."

"Why?" I’m not comfortable turning my back to this thing.

"Just turn around." Teeth gritted.

I lift my shirt and turn around, then I feel a long painful scrape along the length of my spine. Is it licking me?! "What are you doing?!" I turn around and yank my shirt down.

"Come on." She's walking again.

I'm following. "Where are we going?" The pain is gone.

"You're welcome." Her front shoulder blades take turns teeter-totting up and down as her hips gracefully swing back and forth with each step, tail gently swinging from side to side. "Now be quiet so I can listen."

"Listen for what? Where are we going? You never told me where I am? And how do you know this isn't a dream?"

Roara spins around with a growl. "I don't have to answer any of your questions. You follow and be quie..." She crouches and her ears go back, "Stay down, get behind that tree."

"Why?" I manage to whisper while trying to see where the threat is?

"Do you want me to help you get over there again?" She unsheathes her claws to emphasize her point.

From behind the tree it is easy for me to see the huge cat crouch lower and then spring straight up twenty feet into the sky. Suddenly two monsters land with a huge thud, shaking the earth. The cat rolls around with a sleek, shiny, squirming, serpent. It curls itself around her body, her rear claws ripping and tearing.

"If you break me S'ven you will regret it!" It sounds forced, like there is no air in her lung.

"Oh Roara, I wouldn't dream of it." It speaks very smoothly, slow, and sarcastic. It starts to unwrap itself and she quickly springs out of it's grip.

It knots itself up and she prowls in a circle around it.

"How long have you been following us?" She sounds like she is still trying to catch her breath.

"I would've had it, if it wassssn't for that pessssky pecker." It is big enough to swallow a human with little effort.

"S'ven, you know the rules. Now I am giving you five seconds to get out of my sight or I'll turn you into floss!" She stops walking and crouches like she is going to pounce.

"One day Roara, one day I will have you in a hug sssso tight you won't be able to sssspeak of your father to me." And faster than imaginable it slithers away and slips up a huge tree into the darkness above.

I find myself once again shaking with teeth chattering. This has to be a dream!

"It isn't a dream, and we talked about the fear."

"How many things are going to try to eat me?"

"Everything! Come on." She's walking.

I'm following. "How do you know it isn't a dream?"

"Because I'm real, and if I'm real this must be real. Now be quiet, we are entering dangerous territory."

I whisper, "As if this entire place isn’t dangerous territory."

"Ssshh."

Trying to walk as quietly as a feline is difficult. When her feet hit the ground there is no sound, but each of my steps sound amplified. It feels like we walk forever, my bare feet blistering on the ground, I wrap the blanket more tightly. The silence goes on so long my ears start to ring, which doesn’t drown out the pumping of my pulse in my ears. 

After awhile I can’t take it anymore, “Roara, please, I need to rest.” I am not prepared for what happens next. She spins around so fast I don’t even see it happen, just suddenly she is on top of me pressing me into the dirt. 

From the ground I see her eyes leave my face and start darting around the trees and looking up into the sky. She is hunched low, her body heat causing me to forget the fear of having a giant cat on top of me. “Don’t make a sound, and try to reign in your fear.” She whispers quietly enough I barely hear her. What is going on? “Get in that hole.” Hole?! “Do not argue, remember last time? Go now.”

She lifts her paw from my chest and I slip into the alcove under the huge tree roots. Her voice echoes in the silence. “Ok Vlad. Let’s get it over with.” At first I think maybe she has lost her mind, but the voice that eventually responds is deep and strong.

“Roara, Roara, Roara, Princess of Queen Emplora. Your daddy would be proud, your sneaking is too loud. We heard you a mile away, this must be our lucky day!” The sing-song rhythm of the way it is said gives me chills, but what really makes my blood run cold is the plethora of laughter from many that follows. 

“Vlad, I am not here to cause problems. I am just passing through. I am in a hurry and this is the quickest way by a long shot. Please don’t start this. My father agreed to this truce because he respects you. Let’s not mess it up. I’m almost to the other end. Just let me go.” This is the first time I have heard Roara sound scared. If I didn’t know better I would think she was.

“She wants to pass, stupid lass! As if I have a heart. Faster than a wink, gone before you blink, I’d much rather start!”

I jump when a dark blur whooshes down from somewhere above and slices across Roara’s back, disappearing into the darkness as quick as it appeared. The cut is small, but I can see the blood from in my hiding place. She cowers low and growls. The laughing starts up again.

“Vlad, you don’t want to do this. Just let me go.” The laughing gets louder.

“Here kitty, kitty, kitty, you think you’re so witty, isn’t it a pitty, that dad avoids the nitty gritty.” More laughing. “He should’ve killed me then, instead I’ll take his kin.” SWOOSH!

This time Roara jumps, teeth bared, and latches onto the wing tip of a giant bat. His eyes are crazy and sharp teeth are protruding from his upper lip. She slams him down on the ground, claws pressed against his neck. Suddenly there is a loud rustling sound building in the air.

“Tell ‘em to stand down Vlad. Or I ground you for life.” She lightly drags a sharp claw across the thin membrane of its wing. 

“Hang on guys, let's hear her lies!” Then the rustling starts to settle down. “Not alone, not your throne, bossy cat, want to chat?”

“Yes Vlad, let’s chat. I am passing through, and you will stand down.” She sounds so scary.

“Yes you are, already this far, but that stays and we plays.” And it turns its creepy little eyes on me.

She starts to push her claw into its wing. “NO! No! Stop. Stop. Hippity hop. Hop away, there be no play!” 

Then she lets go and he disappears into the darkness again and the laughing resumes. “Come on.” And she starts walking again.

I’m afraid to come out of the hole, what if it changes its mind and swoops down. I’d be gone before she even knew it happened. But I don’t want to stay here alone either. I slide out of the hole as fast as possible and run after her, heart pounding. 

“Why am I here?!” I am so sick of things trying to eat me. I want to go home. 

"I want you to go home as well. Dad will know what to do. I just have to get you there alive." And we keep walking through the dark, quiet, creepy forest.

April 10, 2020 20:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.