22 comments

Fiction Friendship

The cogs were turning, that was for sure. She’d serrated the edges of her doodled flowers and had begun to fill in the gaps in between. One great black swirl of ink after another. The words would come soon. They always did. And this time they simply had to…

Trust me, trust the method…

Okay, so that was a start, the kick up the butt Gertrude felt she needed scrawled diagonally across the lines of the facing page. But what next? Swirl round some more, add a spear-headed arrow…

Can’t get over this… but it’s not about me… It’s Sandra who’s lost her son… What to say, what to say…? No longer close as we were… Wouldn’t even have known if I hadn’t randomly checked her Facebook… Happened a week ago… Oh jeez…

Words scattered out of sequence, she darkened the arrow, added half a dozen more… Jagged lines. Too heavy. Crisscross…

A poem. She’d write a poem. Send it off in a sympathy card. Sandra, a bit of a bard on the quiet, liked the lyrical…

Turn the page. Find a different pen. Not black. Colour the leaves in. Like the ones her friend had described the night before it happened... 'The shades of autumn in freefall nonchalance from the trees, their branches playfully jousting ahead of the coming storm when the birch would surely whip-crack the sun from the sky...' She’d written about how she’d sat, glass of wine in hand on the white veranda her son had recently helped to build, just taking in the scene as if there was no tomorrow…

Beautiful words... Gertrude sometimes liked to dabble, pop a rhyme or two in her seldom-kept diary, but she couldn’t match those. And again, she had to check… Had they really been written on the date they were posted, one day ahead of Sandra’s tragic shock announcement…? Like somehow she’d predicted what was about to happen…

Didn’t suffer though, she’d said that later. His collapse while mountaineering was entirely unexpected, a bolt from the blue. No reviving. Instant death…

Skip back a page… Take comfort in that… The green she’d eventually chosen for the leaves because she couldn't find any gold or brown, and which she wrote with now, stood out amidst all the black, but not enough… Skip forward again…

What time was it now...? 03:23 according to her phone. Oh lord, she’d been up and down all night… Back and forward, notebook and pen in hand. The coffees wouldn’t help nor would the pacing. As for the snacks, what had she even had? She’d been good this year, watching her weight, restricting her intake of sugar. Only bought cakes and biscuits in for her daughters and grandkids, and her thirty-six-year-old ever-sweet-toothed son…. Same age as…

Oh, Sandra… How must she be feeling now? Gertrude simply couldn’t imagine. And although she hadn’t known the lad, she couldn’t just not say anything, but what if she said the wrong thing? Something that might upset her old friend even more? And was the sympathy card really such a good idea? She remembered what her neighbour, Tanya Sutherland had said about those when her first husband, John had dropped down dead at his work back in the nineties… All those people who hardly knew her, and had barely grunted a hello in passing, or who gossiped behind her and John’s backs just because he happened to be a bit older, were suddenly oh-so-concerned that they ‘simply couldn’t settle’ until they’d signed their names to some idiotic generic verse surreptitiously dropped through her letterbox… Our thoughts are with you at this tragic time, love Bob and Maisie and Chi-Chi, the dog… One had even knocked on and brought her a cake, asked why she hadn’t put ‘all her lovely cards’ up on the mantle…

No, on second thoughts, forget the card. She could write the poem and post it on her own social media. She didn’t use it much. Only had it to keep track of friends and family… Well, family really, which was probably why Sandra’s update hadn’t come through in her newsfeed. And how many months had it been since they’d texted? But a post like this, providing she worded it right, that would help. Then her friend would know just how deep and genuine her sympathies were…

Start again… Forget the green, and the falling leaves, the wind-whipped sky behind the branches… Circle round the designs. Make clockwork… Back to black… Paint it…

The words were so crossed over now, she could hardly make them out. God forbid her kids should ever attempt to read this; they’d think their mother had finally lost the plot and start making appointments for her at the doctor's. And what the hell did Amy Winehouse have to do with it anyway…? Or The Rolling Stones…? Her method had never failed her before. Doodle it out, jot down the key phrases, add the arrows, and the words would eventually flow, but then her parents’ eulogies and speeches for her children’s weddings had come a whole lot easier. She’d been there for both her Mum and Dad at the end, had cared for her ailing mother for years, and as a stay-at-home mum, had always been extremely hands-on with her children - grandkids too when they came along - taking an active interest in all of their lives. Friends, although she had them, just weren’t quite as important. Like she knew they were there, but on the outer circle somehow. Like on that spidery shape she’d just drawn which kind of resembled a dartboard, that bull-like spot in the middle looking most distinct, almost three dimensional. As for her ex-husband, the father of her children, he didn’t even figure. Nor did any of the men she’d dated in her younger years. All dots way off the board on a door long-since glossed over where a series of misthrown darts had once stuck… Sandra, on the other hand, had been widowed. And she’d only had the one son. Gay, she remembered her telling her that, so no grandkids… Had they been texting when Sandra’s husband had died? She couldn’t remember, but then there had been all sorts going on in her own life, and Sandra did have the boy…

Didn’t suffer… That’s the main thing… Okay, no more doodling, work from that…

For those who are left behind when the dark, unseen tornado strikes at speeds beyond both sound and light/ to leave the landscape bare, stripped/ take comfort in the absent ones not knowing/ the loss of their smile, and the freshness of the earth and air surrounding/ the paths they trod with pride/ for they shall always remain…

Schmaltz. Complete and utter dustbin-drivel schmaltz. And with this, her final contemptuous word on the matter, spelt out in block capitals across the entire page, Gertrude threw down her pen. No way would she be posting this for the world to see. Like some pathetic attention-seeking child, making it all about herself in her friend’s time of grief…

5am… Her middle daughter was due at nine once she’d dropped the kids at school. Lindsay always came on a Friday as this was the school’s half-day. Not worth her going home when Grandma’s house was so much closer. Sleep, she needed to sleep, or she’d be in no fit state, and even though they did call and text throughout the week, and she always made a point of following all her children’s social media, Gertrude did so look forward to their regular catch-ups. She’d have to tell Lindsay about Sandra’s son as well, even though her daughter probably wouldn’t have much of a clue who she meant. It was news, after all. News she hadn’t yet heard.

But before she turned out the light, Gertrude picked up her phone and opened her Facebook app. She may have sadly neglected her, but when all was said and done, Sandra was still her friend, and there was the tick at the top of her page to prove it. She scrolled down through her week's worth of updates, clicked the ‘care’ reaction on that terrible heart-wrenching post, and at the end of an extremely long list of near-identical comments, added the only words she could think of which now felt in any way appropriate… Sandra, I am so, so sorry. You know where I am if you ever feel the need to talk…






August 31, 2024 02:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Helen A Smith
08:10 Sep 13, 2024

Really well written and poignant. You say so much about the way things are rather than the way we’d like them to be and you bring to life just how difficult it can be to say the right thing to people in grief. I liked the way you worked through the character’s thought processes.

Reply

Carol Stewart
16:28 Sep 13, 2024

Thank you, Helen :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nita A Mozzi
20:46 Sep 11, 2024

I love the way you write. This felt so alive

Reply

Carol Stewart
16:25 Sep 13, 2024

Thank you, Nita :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:06 Sep 10, 2024

It is hard to think of the right things to say sometimes. The kindest thing we can do at this time is to be a listening ear. Sometimes a simple message can mean a lot. Sometimes the mind struggles, and doodling is an excellent way to distract as well as make sense of our thoughts.

Reply

Carol Stewart
16:28 Sep 13, 2024

Partly inspired by a notebook with patterns to colour in included! And exactly that, listening is usually better than talking at times like this. Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
06:06 Sep 09, 2024

This evokes the feelings and struggles we have when our thoughts keep struggling to find just the right thing to say. Well done!

Reply

Carol Stewart
22:16 Sep 09, 2024

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KA James
15:45 Sep 07, 2024

You have captured the dilemma of expressing concern and condolences so well here, and from so many angles; family members, casual friends, and the dreaded workplace cards and awkward encounters, you described those particularly well. And it is just a wonderfully unique take, walking through a ritual for writing in the background, but connected to an everyday kind of task.

Reply

Carol Stewart
00:08 Sep 09, 2024

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
19:48 Sep 04, 2024

You have a great voice here, Carol. Really well done. You really captured the angst that we all (well, maybe not the sociopaths among us, but most of us) feel in situations like this and I really liked the simplicity with which you brought it to an end. Great writing.

Reply

Carol Stewart
13:35 Sep 06, 2024

Thank you !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
12:18 Sep 02, 2024

How we are often our own obstacle. Thinking, guess, second guess, re-thinking, rejecting, letting our thoughts drift away and go into free-fall, trying but never stepping in the other's shoes.

Reply

Carol Stewart
20:47 Sep 03, 2024

Though one size never fits all so best leave the door ajar for their rightful owners. Thank you so much for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:17 Sep 01, 2024

So completely true. Stressing over what to say, how to say it. Somehow it comes out it's all about you when you want it to be about them. Even masters at words fail.

Reply

Carol Stewart
03:32 Sep 02, 2024

...Maybe even more so than others. Or it can feel that way. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
13:43 Aug 31, 2024

Hi, Carol !!! I think you encapsulated here the difficulty expressing emotions in the face of tragedy. You're always second-guessing if what you want to say is appropriate or not. The details were also really lovely in this. Lovely job !

Reply

Carol Stewart
22:32 Aug 31, 2024

Thanks, Alexis :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raelyn White
13:28 Aug 31, 2024

This is such a good approach to the prompt, woah! You capture such an intricate dance of emotion in a very authentic way, and it inspires me a lot. I absolutely love your writing and feel any praise would be insufficient. Thank you for sharing, Ms. Stewart! <3

Reply

Carol Stewart
22:33 Aug 31, 2024

I'm flattered. Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:17 Aug 31, 2024

ITs such a difficult thing to do. Put heartfelt emotions about tragic events into words that really convey what you feel. I am terrible at it. What can you really say? Sometimes you cant say anything. you just have to be there when you are needed.... lovely story

Reply

Carol Stewart
22:36 Aug 31, 2024

Exactly. I think most people struggle when it comes to this. Thought this the perfect prompt to try and explore it. Thank you for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.