0 comments

Kids

I peered out the window, listening to the faint conversations behind it. Wondering what they're talking about, being homeschooled is boring. Always going to my Aunties house, when I can go to school and make friends. I mean like how hard can making friends be? You just go up to a person and say “ Hi, wanna be my friend?” and they are instantly your friend, right? I wish I could go, but my parents keep saying “ You can get hurt and it’s too expensive!”. I mean come on if we could afford a two-story house then I bet we could afford school fees. I would make friends, go to an actual class and meet teachers. But instead, I go to my Aunties house, she doesn’t even have a job, yet she teaches me. Though she is a bit old to teach me, she always is sleeping and I can see grey hair strays growing on her. So I taught myself, using the internet, I am pretty good for my age. But I don’t want to learn on the screen, I want to learn in an actual classroom. 


Every day I pass Stone Brook High School, to my Aunties house. When I got to her house, I immediately helped her to get her medicine. Then I opened my laptop and started reading on the history of pi. Suddenly the doorbell rang, “I’ll get it!,” I exclaimed. When I opened the door, I saw the last person that I wanted to see: my mum. “ Hi sweetie, how are you doing? Uh! Your Auntie needs to clean this place up. The dust is going in my nails and I just got a pedicure!”. I rolled my eyes, “ What do you want Mum?” I questioned, annoyed. “ Well, don’t get too excited but your dad needs your Auntie for business. I don’t know why, something about how old ladies need better care and all that. Since she can’t teach you, you will go to that awful school across the street” she muttered. My eyes felt like they were bulging out, “ Y-You mean Stone Brook High?” I stuttered. My mum, disgusted, nodded her head and sashayed away. I don’t get why my Dad spoils my mum so much, I just really don’t get it.


The second I closed the door, I squealed so much that my Auntie’s next-door neighbour screeched “ Hey! I am trying to mow the lawn here! It ain’t easy ya know!,”. But I didn’t care, because I was officially going to Stone Brook High School! The next day, I wore my lucky socks, pulled a nice and practical dress out of my wardrobe. I stood in front of the mirror gushing to myself on how great I look. Until my mother opened my bedroom door, without knocking. “Gosh, what year is it 1940? You look like you just came from the past, Grandma!” My Mum snickered.


 I felt a wave of embarrassment and anger rush through me. “ Okay, that’s it! It’s my first day of school, I am trying to make friends and yet my very own mother says that I look like I came from the past! Well, guess what I think you just did because you don’t know how it’s like to have no friends and a very selfish mother. I practically have the most selfish mother that ever has entered this country” I raged in anger. When I finished shouting at her, boy, was she shocked! I felt like a mountain just lifted off my shoulders. “Well, I am shocked, I bet your mother has raised you better than that!” she shot back. I looked at her like she just got confused between a racoon and a crocodile. “Aren’t you forgetting? You're my mother, you have not raised me better than anything because all you care about is yourself!” I shot back. She gave me a stern look and sashayed out of the room. 


I hopped in the car and hoped for the best, I am going to school for the very first time. What if my mother is right. Do I really look like a Grandmother? Or do I need to cut my hair, is it too long? Why does this have to be only my first time at a school? I am totally not prepared for this!


I looked outside and saw my new school, people were looking at me! What do I do? I hid under the window hoping they wouldn’t notice me! Why does this have to be so hard! After a minute I opened the door and put my leg outside. I can do this!  I said in my head. I looked out of the window and saw someone smile and wave. I immediately put my leg back inside the car and closed the door. I can’t do this! I thought I peeked outside the window, “Are you sure you want to go to school Amelia, you know I have some experience as a teacher, I’ll homeschool you?” Asked Tunisia, our housekeeper. “No, I can do this!,” I exclaimed. I opened the door and stepped outside, I then saw a sign with my name on it. I went to the person holding the sign and uttered: “ Hi, I’m Amelia,”. I extended my hand to shake hers, instead, she hugged me. I was beyond confused, is this how friends are? “I’m Michelle, I am your new official BFF and Ambassador. 


I smiled at her, and we walked inside the school together. I looked at all the groups of people they are. I bet they are talking about cool teenage stuff. The school must be so exciting! “ So how is going to school like?” I asked Michelle. “Well, you know it’s like” She replied. “Actually I never went to school before so I guess I don’t” I uttered. Michelle looked at me like I just won a Superbowl ring. “ You mean you never went to school before, boy, are you lucky being homeschooled.” She remarked. And that was how I officially made friends.

The End.



May 02, 2020 06:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.