8 comments

Romance Science Fiction

The aisle stretched longer than the last time Savarin had stood at one’s end. It’s exponential scaling was a testament to the enduring power of the love he shared with Destry; the radiation of which had encompassed so many others in its warmth, that they had needed several extra rows of chairs brought in. Each and every one of these people deserved their seat at this new ceremony. Savarin surveyed the distance between him and the double doors at the other end of the carpeted runway, forged between the walls of white folding chairs and adorned with stands of purple roses. He marveled at the steady stream of friendly faces that poured from the opening and dispersed into the room to hunt down their positions, each one dropping him a knowing nod as their eyes met his. He shifted his feet in his new, slippery, black dress shoes and locked his fingers tightly together to stop from fidgeting. The butterflies in his stomach broiled in a mass frenzy, only to be matched by the living creatures caged to his side, waiting to be released on the completion of his vows. 


They had worked so hard for this day, he and Destry, labouring through so many issues and overcoming so many differences to craft what many would consider the perfect relationship. It was a union based on trust and truly honest communication of their needs. One where they held nothing back and bared every facet of their being to one another in unfiltered reciprocity. Finally on the other side of all that committed labour, he could honestly say he loved her all the more; there was not a single part of her character he did not cherish.


This fortification of their bond over the past decade, to which they had devoted all of their efforts since their original marriage, was the only reason they had been offered a linking at such a young age. They had surpassed every test and checked every box, proving to the selection committee that they were eligible and willing to undergo the procedure, despite the concerns raised over their supposed immaturity. As Savarin waited at the linking dais alongside a silent minister, he patiently ruminated over the past ten years of uncomfortable conversations, intimate experimentation, loving perseverance, raging arguments and peaceful resolutions. All of which had led him to this penultimate moment, standing under the extravagantly carved ceiling of the linking chamber and facing the scrutiny of all their loved ones. He wished he could bottle and keep this fraction of time forever preserved, sitting on the cusp of a new life, but he knew the only option was to carve into memory as many little details as possible, hoping most would stick.


The orchestral music started up as soon as the last guest was seated, startling Savarin out of his thoughts and laser focusing his attention to the open doors. The silent anticipation that permeated the room broke with a universal caught breath, as Destry stepped into the frame of the entrance way, beautiful beyond measure. She wore a purple flowing gown that was intentionally in direct contrast to the white of their first wedding day. It matched his shirt and cuff links in perfect unison. He kept his eyes trained on hers, noticing the creasing at their edges as she awkwardly smiled under the attention of so many. He considered how nervous she must be and how much control it must take for her to glide so effortlessly down the full length of the room under the vigil of hundreds of staring eyes. When she finally reached him, he wrapped his hands around hers and the flowers they grasped, in an attempt to offer her reassurance and support in exchange for her bravery.


She mouthed a silent ‘Hey you’ around a cheeky grin and he reciprocated using the same soundless words to tell her how beautiful she looked. She laughed bashfully, turning her eyes to the ground as the minister began his address.


“Welcome one and all to this special day of linking!” The ageing minister projected out across the echoing chamber in a surprisingly strong tone, considering his frail frame. “This is an unprecedented event! Never before have two people so young, reached such a level of intimacy and intertwined consciousness that they qualify for this ceremony! I am proud to be the one today to perform this union, one that will make history and provide a guiding light to all for what is possible with love!”

Once the polite applause of all present abated, he reached a liver spotted hand into the large pocket of his white robes and pulled out a ragged tome. He began by reading several passages aloud, then led the room in reflection and finally, asked the two for their vows.

“Do you, Savarin Magellan, consent to a union of souls with Destry Magellan?” He asked loudly so all could hear.

“I do.” Savarin replied, with two of the simplest but most important words of his life. He winked playfully at his wife and then place his hand inside the device mounted before the minister on it’s white dais, just as they had rehearsed. The machine was outwardly nothing more than a white box, with two holes for each of their hands, although it was supposedly, infinitely more complex within. Inside he found a metal bar, which he gripped tightly and then waited patiently.

“Do you, Destry Magellan, consent to a union of souls with Savarin Magellan?” The man asked of his beloved. Savarin’s breath caught for a moment, the unbidden thought of her saying no flashed in his mind, before his reason was able to beat it back down as nothing more than an anxious illusion.

“I do.” She said and placed her hand into the space next to his, her arm contracting with what must have been a strong grip on the bar inside.

“Then with the power vested in me by the Institution of Soul Merging, I now pronounce these two blessed beings, linked for eternity!”

A blinding orange light burst from the seams of the white box, bathing the entire room in a warm glow and forcing the happy couple to shield their eyes with their free hands. Simultaneously their favourite pop song blasted out of mounted speakers and a torrent of white and purple butterflies took to the air from below to mix amongst a sea of balloons gently flowing down from the ceiling. The audience broke into uncontrolled applause and celebration on behalf of their now fully recognised love and devotion.


There was no pain in that moment for Savarin. Only a strange, light headed feeling and momentary dizziness. He held on tight to the bar inside the machine and focused on maintaining his balance until the feeling dissolved. He blew out a breath he hadn’t meant to hold when the the light faded from the machine and his disorientation quickly cleared. The release of tension he felt was accompanied by a…second feeling. One of matching and equal relief but it was an emotion that was…not his. It had worked, they were one.


He looked over to his cherished Destry at the same moment her gaze rose to meet his, both of them ignoring the chaotic revelry surrounding them. Pride and overwhelming joy caught in his throat, so intense tears welled unbidden from the corners of his eyes. Her matching feelings echoed through his body; he was sensing every emotion she experienced in real time and although prepared in theory for what that would be like, he could not have imagined how her identical surge of elation would compound with his own to produce an indescribable intensity. He explored the emotions while staring into her eyes, as they had trained themselves to do, rather than suppressing or avoiding the internal sensations. Her feelings were separate, he could discern the difference from his own, but they were still there within his mind and body, adjacent to his reactions, partnered and parallel. It was surreal…yet incredible.


He took Destry’s hand in his. Her soft skin pressed against his rougher callouses and a shot of electricity sped up his arm, exciting the very blood within his veins. Whether that was normal for their touch after linking or a localised effect from using the machine he had no idea. He almost hoped it was the former. Savarin raised her arm into the air and turned to face the gathered crowd who cheered and whistled them along the aisle, as they danced into the party beyond.


The shared feelings of happiness, excitement and joy permeated the next hour, both of them riding high on the events of the day as they greeted their guests and socialised their way to the head table. The only break in their unified reactions was a momentary disgust he felt from his wife, which he understood immediately once her elderly aunt moved to kiss him next, wafting her cloying levels of ancient perfume down the back of his throat. Destry smirked at him over her shoulder, sensing that he had become victim to the same instinctive reaction. They had barely spoken a word to each other the entire time, thanks to the tradition of not seeing each other overnight and then being held hostage by the ceremony and vast numbers of friends and family demanding their individual attention. What was wonderful to Savarin was that even before today they would have still been communicating with looks and a primal understanding of each others mannerisms. Now, this was enhanced with a fully empathic connection.


He dropped himself down into his chair at the centre of the long table, which was draped in expensive linen and dressed with finery, exhausted from only the short burst of well wishers. Destry, already seated next to him, turned and placed a hand on his.

“It’s okay sweetheart, we get to eat and refresh before another round of relatives”

She had known. She hadn’t asked what was wrong, or if he needed anything, she had simply responded to his inner emotions.

“Incredible isn’t it?” She said, again reading the wonder emanating from him through to her consciousness.

“It really is” he answered “It’s also going to take some getting used to!”

Rather than being offended or misinterpreting his humour as having another meaning, which had occasionally happened before, she simply chuckled along with him at the light comment.


Their meal was promptly served and as they began to eat, Savarin’s soul mate turned and stared at him, fork suspended half way to her mouth.

“You said you were fine with the chicken, that it was the better choice” she stated, her irritation sizzling in the back of his mind.

“I know and I am fine with it”

“No you’re not, I can sense the regret pouring from you. You want the beef.”

“Sure, I mean I would have enjoyed the beef more, but this was the sensible option. Everyone likes chicken right?”

He didn’t need to see the pursed lips or narrowed eyes that usually gave Destry’s displeasure away, it was hammering at the door of his mind clear enough.

“I just wish you had said what you really felt, that’s all” she said, the anger resolving to a smaller, simmering bubble. “We are both going to need to be completely honest, more than ever before. There will be no hiding behind pleasantries Sav.”

“You’re right, I’m sorry” He said, hoping she was receiving how much he meant those words. Her comforting smile said that she did.


The familiar ringing of cutlery on glass drew the rooms attention to Destry’s father, who was standing as expected to begin the speeches between courses. He opened with a joke, that luckily his daughter also rolled her eyes at and then began in earnest with a heartfelt message filled with praise and respect for their achievement. After fifteen minutes of adoration, when his father-in-law broke into the third story of his wife’s wild teenage years, Savarin outwardly remained motionless and plastered with smiles, while secretly working hard to prevent his impatience turning to frustration. A swift kick from her high heeled foot told him that his beloved did not approve of his reaction to the drawn out proclamations from her dear old dad.


Once everyone had been heard from, they both shared the mutual satisfaction and excitement from cutting an impressively tiered cake; it had been a long afternoon and he could feel her craving the dose of sugar as much as he did. The white hot flash of anger that lit up her emotions like an inferno when someone suggested Savarin smash a fistful of the frosting into her face, told him immediately that it would be an insane idea. His mirth at the image did not help matters, further fueling her outrage.


With all the formality over and the bar open, many of the more extroverted guests took to the dance floor. Savarin stood grasping Destry’s hand and doing another round of people pleasing small talk, during which he found his mind and gaze wandering to the revelry under the party lights. He saw Raile then, dancing with abandon in a skin tight and bordering on inappropriately short black dress. She moved as if commanding the attention of the room, her long blonde hair enhanced her bronze skin and her dazzling green eyes were lost in her own world. Her soft firm thighs, tantalisingly close to revealing more under the close cropped hem of her dress were temptation incarnate.

Fury.

The pain in his palm woke Savarin from the sirens trance, as Destry dug her fingernails deep into his hand and dragged him outside into the cool evening air.

“What the hell was that!? I could feel your arousal inside me and it was…sickening”

“I thought we both understood this?” He said “Both of us will look at others in lust on occasion, it’s perfectly normal and unavoidable. We are supposed to focus on and trust that neither of us would ever act on it and how little it truly means in the face of our commitment…”

“Raile. is my. Best. Friend.” She said. Her inhumanely quick anger blazed behind his own emotions making it hard to stay calm himself.

Before they could continue, his own long standing friend bounced over and grabbed hold of his arm in a bear hug.

“Congratulations you two!” She squealed “I’m so happy for you both! Hey Destry, you’ll have to fill me in on how this knucklehead really feels about my cooking next time you both visit! Oh this is going to be so handy!”

“None of that Bonnie!” Savarin said, smiling and radiating the comfort and happiness his childhood companion instilled “I’ll not have you two ganging up on me, I’d be at even more of a disadvantage after today!”

His smile faded as he looked past his own feelings and noted Destry’s. Was that jealousy? He excused them both to Bonnie’s giggles and acknowledgements that they needed some alone time. They wandered further from the lights of building, hoping for some privacy before he asked,

“You always said that you liked Bonnie…that you recognised our bond was platonic and supported our friendship? You clearly don’t really feel that way?”

“I do! Oh I do Savarin! It’s just, sometimes it just feels like it comes so much easier between you two. We’ve always had to work at our relationship to get to this point, you two are just so happy around each other. It doesn’t seem fair!”

He could sense that this upset her, her turmoil evident from within his own mind.

“Well of course its easier with her!” He said, feeling her confusion and spike of fear before he even finished the words.

“My relationship with Bonnie is nowhere near as deep as ours. So of course its easier! Friends are about lighter times and when things do get tricky, we can go our separate ways for awhile. With us things are so much more connected, which is worth every ounce of hard work if you ask me” Her relief and love was palpable in response to his words. He pulled her in tightly and they shared a familiar embrace, fitting into each others arms somehow even more perfectly than usual.

“This is clearly going to be harder than we thought” He said, his lips brushing her hair as he spoke. “It can only bring us closer in the end though and that will only make me happier, which I didn’t think was possible…I’ve never wanted anything more” He didn’t need her tightening grip, to know that she felt his sincerity and love channeling through their link.

“I love you Savarin” She said “I know we will succeed at this next level of our relationship but you’re right…I do think it will be harder than we imagined. We will also be talking at length about Raile. Tomorrow.” 


A rustling turned them both toward the nearby bushes. A man Savarin did not recognise emerged, dressed in normal jeans and t-shirt rather than the formal wear of the ceremony guests.

“Destry!…am I too late?” He asked.

A torrent of emotions poured into Savarin’s body and mind; it was a tidal wave of different feelings that mixed and swirled underneath his own. He found it hard to focus, to pick out what they all were. Guilt blanketed all others, which once identified allowed him to begin picking out the ones below. Shame, anger, jealousy, fear and…love? Love that was warped, unrecognisable against what he felt directed toward him.

He pushed his soul mate away to arms length.

“Who is this?” He asked her.


August 18, 2024 23:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Gil Harris
12:30 Aug 29, 2024

Good job building the suspense.

Reply

James Scott
14:31 Aug 29, 2024

Thankyou Gil!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lonnie Russo
19:08 Aug 26, 2024

I enjoyed this very much. Excellent, classic science-fiction at its best, revealing the cracks and implied horrors of technology meant to make us better,

Reply

James Scott
21:36 Aug 26, 2024

Thank you Lonnie! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
19:14 Aug 21, 2024

Yeah, so. I think just me in my brain is more than enough. Thanks just the same. Great concept. well played.

Reply

James Scott
23:57 Aug 21, 2024

Thanks Trudy! Yes my original concept was based on how awful it would be! Haha!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keba Ghardt
03:14 Aug 19, 2024

Yep, that's the 'brutal' part of honesty. Great world-building in this!

Reply

James Scott
06:16 Aug 19, 2024

Thanks Keba! Certainly a double edged sword!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.