0 comments

Crime Horror Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

I rolled over in my bed, sheets tangling around me and tugging off of my partner: Tristen. 

Tristen and I have been together for two years now. We moved in together last month because we both wanted to go to the same college. We wanted to work together. Partners in both senses: romantic and business. People have told me not to cross business with work but, I trust my gut often, and right now it is saying this is the right path for me. 

I admired how peaceful he looks while he sleeps. His light brown hair flowed over the pillow above his head. It always avoided his face no matter how long it got. His eyes were big and brown; I couldn’t wait to see them opened. His eyebrows were full and groomed, darker than his hair but they flowed with his eyes almost perfectly. He always had scruff for a beard, but it contoured his softly-angled jawline. 

He seems like such an ethereal creature. Breathtaking inside and out.

It befuddled me as to why he was with me. I was just average. Below average, really. Only 5’3 in height, skinny but not magazine cover skinny. My hair was short, forehead fringe and dark brown-burgundy. Boring brown irises enclosed by almond-shaped eyes.

Your average girl. 

My job wasn’t anything special either. I worked at a basic Chicago diner; I am a waitress. Tristen works at a warehouse for basically anything you could think of. Clothes, art supplies, mannequins, furniture. 

It was nine in the morning. I decided to surprise him with breakfast. He loves breakfast. He would go to the diner before work and get something. He would also leave the most amazing tips; a few dollars along with a note of how he loved me and couldn’t wait to see me. It always made my day.

I slowly slid out of bed, pulling on one of his flannel shirts and a pair of shorts. I already had a tank top and undergarments on but I wanted to cover up more. I walked into the bathroom, picking up my brush to put my hair up. I notice a few different hair colors in the brush; ginger, light brown and black. I guess it made sense because his brother will visit with his girlfriend; she has ginger hair. Our friends also have a variety of hair colors too. I wouldn’t be surprised if Dakota or Lealynd had used my brush when they came over last.

I shrugged off the worry that he would cheat on me. Tristen is as loyal and energetic as a labrador.  I’m so shy that I don’t really make much of a connection. I have a small friend group, there are three of us, but it is a tight, close friend group. We have been friends for nearly five years.

My friend Dakota ended up moving about half an hour away from me. He went to a community college while I went to an Art school. Sadly, Tristen and Dakota don’t get along so well. They were close friends but they now constantly fight over who gets to see me and what the best options are for me. Dakota doesn’t think Tristen will benefit me in any way. My other friend, Lealynd, is an hour away. She tries to visit as much as she can but she’s hammered with law school. Our group is an odd group. Lealynd is all about business and politics, Dakota wants to be a school therapist while I want to be a graphic artist. We’ve been friends since high school. I met Tristen when Dakota and Tristen were theater buddies. 

I make my way to the kitchen, making sure to close the bedroom door so I don’t disturb his sleep. I found a nonstick pan to make some pancakes. I was going to make cinnamon swirl pancakes. We had all the ingredients so I figured why not make something nice. I know he also likes smoothies so I decided to make a small smoothie bowl for the side. 

While I was making all of the food, I turned on the television to listen to the news in the background.

“This grave here is one of the odd ones. The person dug up the grave and must have realized there was nothing useful to steal then poorly covered it back up. We do not know who is committing these crimes but we think it is a group of people. We are on the lookout.” 

After the statement, they showed one of the crying family members. 

“I just…” He trailed off, hiccupping. “I hope that God is protecting my sister…” He sniffled. “While she, she is up th-there.. And…”  

I shrugged and tuned out the rest of the reports.

Once everything was finished, I plated everything and set it on the table then made my way to the bedroom. I slowly opened the door then walked over to Tristen’s side of the bed. I crouched down to be face to face with him, tucking his hair behind his ear. He started to twitch slightly and I smiled, kissing his nose. His eyes slowly opened but only halfway. I laughed softly, knowing he would be sensitive to noise. He closed his eyes again and yawned. I smiled and played with his hair more, trailing along his jawline. 

“I made breakfast, my love.” I whispered. 

He smiled slightly and nodded. 

“Thank you, I’ll be out in a little. Go start eating, okay?” 

I nodded and stood up, kissing him before walking out of the bedroom. 

I sat down and started to eat my smoothie bowl while watching the news. They were going on about how social media is now the death of the world. I never believed such things like that. 

Tristen walked out a few minutes later, sitting down and kissing me.

“What’s going on in the world today?” He questioned. 

“Well, right now they’re going on about social media and the consequences. Baby boomer stuff, you know.” I rolled my eyes. “Earlier they were talking about a grave vandal but I can’t remember too well.” I shrugged. “How did you sleep?”

“You never really did care about the news.” He mused. “But I slept okay. How about you? You’ve been working so much.” 

I shrugged and smiled. I was exhausted.

“I’m okay.” I lied. “I slept pretty well. I mean, I wouldn’t make breakfast if I wasn’t up for it, right?” 

“Very true.” It wasn’t true. “When do you go to work?”

“I work this afternoon around three. Three to ten, I think. You’re off, right?” I quizzed him. 

“Yes, I am. Maybe I’ll surprise you with dinner tonight.” 

I grinned. He was thoughtful. We both were. Always wanting to just take care of each other and be there.

After breakfast, I started to clean up the apartment a little before I took a nap. While cleaning I found a couple pieces of jewelry that were not mine. I went to Tristen, who was doing some of his projects for class.

“Hey, love. Who’re these?” I questioned.

He turned around and eyed up the jewelry. I could see him become tense when he registered what it was. Why was he tense?

“Oh! My sister was looking for that stuff. It was something she borrowed from a friend!” He chuckled. 

He reached over and grabbed it then kissed my hand. I bit my lip and rolled my eyes playfully.

“You’re a dork. They were under the couch just so she knows.” I told him.

He nodded and turned back around, setting the pile of silver on his desk. I turned back around and walked into the bedroom, laying down and checking my phone. I had a message from Dakota that asked if we could hangout. I replied and suggested that we hangout on Wednesday. I finally had time off and I could just stay over at his house. 

I set my alarm then passed out for a couple hours. 

When I woke up, I quickly got dressed then said goodbye to Tristen. He wished me luck on my work shift and I thanked him then left for the subway station. While I was in the elevator I realized I forgot my name tag. I rode the elevator back up to the apartment. I opened the door slowly to not disturb Tristen while he worked on his assignment. 

“I think I have to do it tonight. I have to tell her tonight.” Tristen’s voice carries through the bedroom door. “I can’t keep this secret any longer. I love her so much. I think she’s questioning things and I don’t want her to leave me before I can tell her what I have been doing.” 

I stare at the door while processing what he said. Who is he talking to? 

“She found your jewelry and I don’t want her thinking the wrong thing. I can’t wait. I just love her so, so much. I’d be dead without her. She is the light in my life and I want to show her how much she means to me.” 

I glance at the time, realizing I will be late if I stand around any longer. I need to catch the next train to the city. I grab my name tag off the living room table and quietly rush out the door. I closed the door as quietly as I could. I don’t want him to know I came back to the apartment and heard his conversation. The entire way to the subway station was filled with dark thoughts. Who was he talking to? Was it his sister? If it’s his sister, maybe it’s a proposal. That has to be it. He wants to propose to me. That’s why he’s been secretive. He said he loves me and wants me to be with him forever. He doesn’t want me to think he wants to break up because he actually wants to marry me. 

When I got home after my shift I was exhausted. I walked into the bathroom immediately to get a shower. I stepped out of the shower and grabbed my toothbrush, noticing that there were two extra. Too tired to question, I had an essay due in the morning and it was nearing midnight. 

I went into our office space and sat down, blasting some upbeat music to keep me in the groove as I wrote an essay about the importance of graphics in advertising and how businesses are created.

As I was finishing up my essay, I heard the apartment door open and close. I started getting anxious; who would it be? I decided to sneak into the bedroom to wake Tristen to have him investigate. As I walked into the bedroom, I saw Tristen sigh in relief. I stood there, head tilted and an eyebrow perched. He turned around and jolted. 

“Holy shit!” He shouted. He took a deep breath, shaking his head. “I’m sorry, Mand.” He released a deep breath.

“Where were you?” I questioned.

“There was an emergency at the warehouse.” 

He started to get undressed, walking to the drawers to search for something to change into.

“Passed midnight?” I quizzed.

He was lying. He had to be lying.

“Well.. Yeah..” He trailed off.

“Don’t lie to me, Tristen.” I was irritated. “Tell me the truth.”

“Mandy… I am telling the truth.”

“Oh, bullshit! I keep finding things that prove you’re up to something. Tell me.” I growled.

He turned around and sighed, sitting on the bed. He put his head in his hands. 

"I've been cheating on you!" He cried out.  

My breath caught, tears welling up. I never thought it'd happen.  

I thought I trusted him, but I never really did. I had been prepared for this to happen. The signs all made sense. Finding the brush with different colored hair, different toothbrushes, clothes that would never fit me. 

"What?" I whispered.  

Tristen sniffled, his eyes filled with tears as he looked into mine. He stood from where he sat.  

"Why did you do it?" I asked quietly.  

I wanted to know. Where did I mess up? Why wasn't I good enough to satisfy him? Where did he stop wanting me for me, and, instead, wanted others? 

"I couldn’t get close to you, Mand." He sighed. "I didn't want to mess you up." 

I forced out a laugh, shaking my head and wiping the tears. 

"So... You cheated? As a way to not mess me up?" 

He looked down, shrugging.

"Bastard."  

As I walked past him, he grabbed my arm. 

"Please.. Meet them. They should know what I've been doing... How you were hurt by them, and they by you."  

I ripped my arm out of his grip. I stood and glared. He didn't deserve to hear my voice any longer. I continued making my way to the door but he ran to block it.

"Please!" He begged. 

I narrowed my eyes.

"What is wrong with you? You want to hurt them, too? By showcasing me off like a damn mannequin in a shop display?"  My voice was far from calm.

I wanted to hurt him with everything I had. But I know it wouldn't do anything, and I could never really hurt him.  I loved him too much. And I knew he wouldn't give up on me meeting the hags. 

"Fine." I grunted. 

He sighed in relief, turned around and opened the door. I walked past him and into the hallway. He grabbed his keys and closed the door, locking it behind us.  I motioned for him to walk in front of me. He nodded and led the way. We made our way to the elevator, getting in. He pressed the lowest level. 

The basement.  

"Why-" 

"Shh." 

I shook my head. I don't know what he was planning. Maybe a romantic dinner to reveal he was lying about this whole thing? I would rather that than for it to be true. Maybe that’s what he was talking about earlier. He needed to tell me the truth. Maybe the truth is he wants to marry me! I’ll walk off the elevator and there will be a trail of roses leading to a table with candles and my favorite food.

The elevator stopped moving and the doors opened. He stepped into the basement, turning to the wall right outside of the elevator to flick the lights on. 

"They're right over here." He smiled anxiously.  

I followed him. I was ready to pounce. 

He opened our storage room and turned the light on. 

"Here." He stepped aside.  

The room had a queen sized bed. Girls were stacked on the bed, some sitting on the floor, a few in chairs.  

They were dead. 

I took a step back before storming in the other direction. It was disgusting. 

"Mandy! Wait! I didn't introduce them!" 

I stopped just in time for him to catch up. I turned around, my fist striking his jaw.  

"What in the Hell is wrong with you?" I shrieked. "They're all dead!" 

"No, no. They aren't. Some of them are a little quiet but you've got it all wrong. Here. I'll introduce you." 

He grabbed my hand, dragging me to the room. He stood in front of one of the bodies in the chair.  

She had obviously been taken from a grave. Her dress was stained in dirt and blood, torn at the end and at the short sleeves. The shoulders were stained with blood the most. She had makeup poorly done, her hair neatly curled. Lipstick was smeared around her lips, her breasts were almost exposed and lingerie was showing.  

"This is Hailey. She was my first." He smiled. "We met in high school." 

I remember her. We went to her funeral last year. 

“You’re so sick, Tristen. You need help.”

I immediately rushed towards the elevator. He ran after me, grabbing me and holding me. 

“Please don’t leave me! I need you. You help me!” He cried. “Mandy, I’ll stop. I won’t ever touch them again, okay? Just you and me. I will never ever cheat on you!” 

“Tristen… You really need help. I can be there for you. I can work with you while you better yourself. But you stole dead bodies to… Do.. God knows what you did with them. You made me worry for the longest time. Then I find out that you’re the bandit stealing graves, robbing stores. You lied to me so much! I was going insane. This is a whole ‘nother level of screwed up. You really, really messed up because you are messed up!” I snapped. “Get help. Get psychological help immediately and let me go.!” 

He let me go, taking a step back. He looked down at the ground, running a hand through his greasy, matted hair.

“I will get help… Please… Don’t leave me.”

I sighed and nodded.

“Tristen.. I’m going to go stay with Dakota while you get better, okay? I think you need time for yourself. I’ll just get in the way. We had plans anyway. I’ll just take time off work. Explain what happened.”

I turned around and walked to the elevator, watching Tristen. He looked up at me, his eyes telling me to wait. I didn’t want to wait. I wanted to run upstairs and call the police.

“Please wait, Mandy… I want one last hug…” He sounded defeated.

I nodded. He walked over, engulfing me in a hug. He hugged tight, kissing the top of my head, crying into my hair. I hugged back, crying into his chest. I whimpered in pain as something pierced my back. I tried to step back to get away but I was immobile, limp. 

“I don’t want you to leave me, Mandy.” He cooed.

May 16, 2024 20:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.