2 comments

Romance

Work was hectic today. As I strolled back to my apartment with a bottle of Wine in one hand and pepper spray in the other hand, I couldn’t help but think that everyone forgot my birthday. Not even my best friend Perry remembers, she actually didn’t even call me throughout the day. I feel hurt.

I stop in front of the building and inhale. I am going having a good time nevertheless. Nobody does it better than Netflix. Two turns in the lock and I am inside. It’s dark, so I use my mobile phone to navigate through the darkness. I set my coat on a chair, the wine in the fridge and proceed to yanking off my trousers. Wow, so free! I turn on the lights.


“Happy Birthday!!!”

The strong cheers of happy wishes suddenly become cold. Only mixed expressions of shock, horror, sympathy and grief stare back at my face. The lights goes off and I struggle to pick back my dignity and I turned the lights on again. A deep breath.


“Happy birthday!” Mum and Perry scream. My heroes trying to salvage my situation.


“Thank you Mum and Perry.”

And then quiet mumblings of happy birthdays ensued after.


“Thank you Everyone for the unexpected surprise. Ha-ha-ha-ha. There’s no need to explain what just happened right? Ha-ha”. Damn the laugh.


“No!!!” Everyone chorused.


“Honey, you better go change.” Mum advises as she directs me to my room. Perry follows suit.


“Someone put on the music. Let’s the party get started. (Pause) Oh! I’ll do it.” That was Dad.


I am beyond shattered. Everyone that I knew, literally just saw me in a pink lingerie. Dad, Mum, Mr. Richie, the next door neighbor, my boss, colleagues, friends and even mom's book club members.


“I’m so sorry dear. I didn’t realize you still had that habit.” Mum sympathizes. I don't want her to feel bad.


“Um, it’s okay mum. I am not angry with you. I just… How am I supposed to go out there? I am so embarrassed."


“Fayette, it’s not that bad. I mean your shirt did save your ass.” Perry inputs, smiling. I cannot believe she’s smiling. Urghh!. Come on, I bought you a dress. You are going to wear it and look good for me.”


“ It’s your 25th birthday, Faye. Bad things always happen but it how we react to it that matters. I’ll go help with the guest.” Mum hugs me and leaves.


A few minutes later and I’m all done. The dress looks expensive buts worth it. “Perry, I love the dress.”


“You’re welcome.” She says, smiling.


The next day at work was hilarious and unnerving. Mr. Derek just kept staring at me. I couldn’t just tell him off, he is my boss. At the end of the day, he calls me over to his office.


“Fayette, I umm…yesterday was a bit (pause) interesting. Honestly, you are not my type. He did have type a though, redheads with long legs and tiny brains. I wouldn’t want that to affect our relationship. So, I’d love to invite you to an art exhibition.

His secretary comes in to drop a few files. It’s a formal event and many of our major clients would be attending. Unfortunately, Clara’s schedule is a bit tight, right?” He looks at Clara .


“Yes Sir.” She replies.


“I’ll pick you up at 6:30pm. Wear something like last night."


Clara looks at me incredulously. Of course she wouldn’t understand. She wasn’t there last night.


" I personally think it’ll be good for an editor like you." He adds.


Perry came over with a new dress she picked. I did pay for it though. At exactly 7pm, someone knocked at the door.


“That must be him.” I say. She opens the door and Mr. Derek stays there looking like a frozen tomato. I forgot. She’s a redhead but with wits. Perry didn’t give room for introduction. She shut the door on both our faces.


The ride to the event was smooth. Some compliments here and there but we mostly discussed about work. It was a huge art exhibition. I have never seen so many high society editors in one place. I got introduced to a few persons and soon Mr. Derek needed his privacy.


“Would you please excuse me, Miss

Fayette. I will be with you shortly.”


“I don’t mind, Sir.”

I took my time on each art piece. They were up to a hundred, I guessed. I came to love a particular artiste, Mendes. His works are ethereal . There were a few popular names but most were new to me.


“Longtime, Miss Fayette Adelaide Orlando. You look beautiful, I must say. ”


I turn in surprise. Who could have possibly known my full name in this place.


“Salvador Perdua! Is this you? "


“One and only! Ha-ha. It’s nice to see you again. I didn’t know you liked art.”


“ It’s actually interesting. Wow! So what brings you here?”


“ Well, I actually organized this event.”


“You own SOBEX? I thought…”


“ That’s my assistant. He does the public work. I just had to be here today. So, I saw you walk in with Mr. Derek Dickson. Is he your boyfriend?"


“No, he’s my boss.”


“That’s a relief.” He says with his hands over his chest.


“Why?” I am suddenly curious.


“ We haven’t had contact since high school and you know, we ended on a rather confusing note. I just felt it was irony that the first time I see you in years, you are with Derek Dickson, a popular Playboy”


“Salvador, that was um… a decision I regret till today . Sherry told me, you and the guys had a bet that you’d sleep with me before prom night ended and when you had requested for sex later on that day, I was convinced she was right. Then that rumor started going round that you had sex with Gwen on our final school trip. I was angry."


“Then you just cut me off right?”


“You didn’t exactly have a good reputation before we dated.”


His eyebrows furrows.

“Fine! It’s all in the past. I am currently single though.” He says with a smirk.


“You still don’t have a good reputation. I’ve heard stories about the CEO of SOBEX.”


“ You mean my assistant?”


“ Salvador, I don’t know. Like you said, we just met for the first time in years.”


“Which is a good thing. Isn’t this what they call fate. I don’t want to miss this opportunity, not with Derek around you. So give us a chance.”


“I’ll think about it.”


“Good, here is my contact number. I’ll be expecting your call, Faye.”


“Alright!”


He holds my hands a bit. “Promise me, Faye!”


“I promise.”


“Even if you don’t call, I’ll find you.” And with that, he takes his arrogant fine ass and leaves.


“I see you have made an acquaintance.” Derek voice booms from behind me."


“He’s actually an old friend.”


“Salvador Perdua?” He looks at me and smiles.


“Yes Sir.”


“Well then ,follow me please. We still have many clients to meet.”



The Story Continues…

August 14, 2020 14:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Roland Aucoin
17:34 Aug 20, 2020

Nice story, Favour. Easy flow for reading. I liked your word choices

Reply

Show 0 replies
Estelle Westley
12:17 Aug 18, 2020

That was well done. I enjoyed and look forward to more. Please will you have a look at my "Jealousy Makes You Evil. I tried to continue my M & M story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.