12 comments

Romance Contemporary Friendship

Jill leaned on the dashboard as Noah pulled into the parking structure.

“I can’t thank you enough for driving me today.”

He said, “You know I’d do anything for you. We came together.”

Noah retrieved the ticket from the machine and watched the gate rise. Red lights on the tally board displayed available parking spaces. The first twenty-one floors read ‘FULL.’ A line of cars idled up the incline ahead of them. The glow of hundreds of brake lights lit their faces.

Noah couldn’t believe how long it had been since he’d seen Jill. Friends since grade school, their lives diverged after graduation.

Their mutual friend, Beverly, asked them to be in her wedding. Jill called Noah for a ride.

“Hey, Jill…! Haven’t seen you since…”

“Graduation. I haven’t been hiding…”

He drove out to her family’s ranch to pick her up. As always, she looked great.

She smoothed her bridesmaid dress and stole a glance at him.

“We won’t be late, will we? Bev will kill us.”

“Don’t worry. I won’t let bridezilla touch you. Or me, for that matter.” He straightened his tie in the rear-view mirror.

She laughed. “She hasn’t been bad considering she planned everything herself.”

“Word is, she refused any help.”

“Weddings are such a big deal.”

He smiled. “A little secret? Anyone can get hitched. The big deal is staying married.” She nodded. Noah continued. “Too many people treat marriage like parking a car. Easy come, easy go.”

“From here, it looks like getting married is way easier. Far as parking’s concerned, any spot will do. You think we’ll find one in time? Look at this traffic. Should we look someplace else?”

“We’re here. Let’s stick with the plan.”

She looked out the window at a row of unused spaces. “These are marked for EVs, but they’re empty.”

“Yeah, installed down here so they don’t lose their charge climbing ramps.”

“Take one. No one cares.”

“Willing to split the fine with me? Don’t want to get towed.”

Jill pouted. “Didn’t think of that.”

“Upper floors have spaces.”

She pointed at the line ahead of them. “Can you pass this bunch? What’re they waiting for?”

“For someone to back out.”

“Go for it.”

Noah lurched left and passed several cars. People honked. He kept going. When he came to the bend, an oncoming car forced him to stop. He signaled to merge right but no one let him in. Upward bound cars crawled forward, and a gap opened. Jill leaned out and waved a thank you while Noah merged. The line advanced slowly.

Noah said, “Wow… We’re cruising. Got ahead of a half dozen cars.”

“That was fun. Parking lots are the worst. How’s the clutch? You get out of first gear yet?”

“It’s okay. But no. Not yet.”

“Don’t see manual transmissions anymore.”

“I like them. Thieves can’t drive a stick.”

Jill laughed. She yelled at the line of cars. “Get a move on! Giddy-ap!”

“I forgot. You’re a cowgirl.”

“No cows. But lots of horses. Do a little training. More boarding. We’d all be better off if we’d stayed with horsepower.”

“Except for tons of road apples.”

She looked at him. “Speaking of which, could you close your window? Someone’s diesel needs an enema. It’s always something. On horseback, we’d be there by now. Let these idiots eat our dust.”

“Things are moving. We’ll find something. You know this is the biggest parking structure in the world?”

“So, why haven’t we parked?”

“The sign said it’s parked up below level twenty-two.”

“This’s got twenty-two levels?”

“Twenty-five.”

She shook her head. “Whew! Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. What level we on now?”

“Seven. Look! Pedestrians ahead. Are they leaving?”

“No. They ducked down the stairwell. This place have elevators?”

“Well hidden. Some of them work.”

“Sheesh! Can’t take the stairs in this dress.”

“And don’t forget where you left the car. Lose the ticket, pay the max.”

“Less hassle buying a new car than ransoming the old one.”

Her phone beeped. “Bev’s worried we’re late.”

“Tell her we’re parking. Almost there.”

“You want me to lie?”

“’Course not. Look! A spot.”

Noah tried pulling into a space but slammed his brakes. The cars on either side were parked askew.

“That’s why things backed up.”

“Damn! Too narrow.”

“You sure?”

“Who parks like these idiots…?”

“Let me...” She got out and stood in his lights. She gestured to ease right, then left. Cars revved by. Noah inched forward until Jill shook her head and waved him back. She got in.

“Surprised someone hasn’t spiked his tires. Never have to worry about that with a horse.”

Noah veered away and headed up the lane. He caught up with the taillights.

Jill glanced back. “Someone’s following us.”

Noah laughed. “They came to park. Just like us.”

“Losers. We’ll get to ours first.”

He laughed again. “So, Jill, you been riding horses long?”

“My whole life.”

“I remember. You had a riding party in high school.”

“You were there.” She paused. “Had a crush on you.”

“You did? You’re kidding. I had one on you.”

“No way.”

“I wouldn’t lie. Not about that.”

“Let me answer Bev.” She texted the bride and put her phone down. “That makes no sense, Noah. Why didn’t you say something?”

“You were with… so and so…”

“My cousin, Josh? And no, we weren’t kissing ones. Just friends.”

Noah watched the car in front of him ride its brakes. His mind raced.

Jill filled the silence. “So, mystery man, where’s life taken you since graduation?”

“Oh, rabbit holes. Bouncing from job to job. Staying above water. I do alright.”

He didn’t elaborate.

Jill looked at her phone. “Bev’s in panic mode. Seems everyone’s running late.”

“Her fiancé? Tom?”

“Tim. No word.”

Noah said, “I used to park close to my destination. But everyone does that. No openings. Just waste gas driving around, searching. Now I go where I’m sure to get a spot.”

“Timbuktu.”

“But I can park.”

“Heard of that but haven’t seen it.”

“Always joked about buying cheap land. I’d build a parking lot and wait for the city to come to me. Well, they beat me to it. This is it… Endless parking spots.”

“Filled with endless cars.” She noted the level they’d reached. “When we finally do park. What then?”

“Grab an elevator, zip down and a quick walk to the church.”

“Uh huh. The way things are going, we’ll arrive in time to see Bev’s high dive from the belfry.”

“I certainly hope so.” He smiled to let Jill know he was joking. She got it. “Odds are we’ll beat that deadline.”

“At least there’ll be flowers.”

Noah laughed. They drove in silence past rows of parked cars. He wheeled around another turn.

Jill pounded the dashboard. “I don’t believe it. I’ve never seen so many cars. What’s happening?”

“Almost there.”

“Who knew there were this many cars anywhere?”

“I’ve heard some people take a spot and claim it.”

“To live?”

“Camping’s cheaper than rent.”

“Charming.”

They emerged from the gloom onto the parking structure roof. Squinting into the sunlight, they saw countless open spaces.

Noah said, “You have a preference? Take your pick.” He swung into a spot and set the brake. “Eagle has landed. Where were we going again?”

Jill said, “Not a wedding. Bev just texted it ain’t happening.”

“And I found the perfect spot.”

“Tim never showed.”

“The cad… All of this, only to turn around and head back down? ‘Hey, Beverly, pony up for the gas and my burned clutch.’”

A car passed and parked nearby. Noah shifted into reverse and backed out.

Jill said, “Wait. Stop. Isn’t that Tim?”

She got out and waved. Tim waved and approached.  

“What’s going on, Tim? Bev texted me. The wedding’s off?”

“Couldn’t find parking. I tried calling her but had no signal.”

“I’ll call.” Jill dialed. “Bev! Hi! We found Tim… Yeah, no parking… right. We’re coming. Okay, we’ll drop him... He’ll explain. See you soon.” She disconnected. “We’re heading out. Ride with us.”

She pointed to Noah’s car.

“Get in. Noah? Tim. Tim? Noah.”

Doors slammed and Noah pulled into the exit lane.

Jill said, “Hey, Tim. If things work out, you can hold the wedding at the ranch. Parking’s never a problem. Ever.”

Outbound traffic moved well. Noah coasted and barely used his brakes.

The whole ride out, Tim whined about screwing up his life. Noah said nothing. Jill gave his hand a squeeze. He smiled.

They exited within the grace period, so had no parking fee.

Noah pulled up before the church. Beverly sat on the steps, surrounded by friends.

Tim bolted. “Thanks!” He ran to his fiancé.

Feeling liberated, Noah looked at Jill.

“Dressed up with no place to go… What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. Frustrated. Not with you. Everything.”

He reached out. “We did the best…”

“Of course. You got us here. It’s more than that.” She nodded toward the couple on the steps. “Everyone gets so caught up doing stupid stuff, they don’t do what really needs doing.”

Noah nodded. He switched off the car.

Jill continued. “I mean, how much time got wasted parking to celebrate our friend’s wedding?”

“It seemed endless.”

“Which, by the way, is not happening…” Jill pulled at her dress. Noah feared she’d tear it. She turned to him. “I’m for doing what we want to do. Now. I hate endless delays and distractions… You know what I mean?”

“I do.”

Sobbing, she took his hand. They embraced. Jill looked up at Noah and they kissed.

Noah said, “Hungry? Let’s stop someplace.”

“No. I can’t wait to get out of this dress.” She gave him a glance. “I mean back into jeans.”

“I got that.”

“Yeah. Take me home. I’ll whip something up for us. Cool?”

“Sure…”

“We’ll take a sunset ride through the hills. We can go forever - trails or not.”

“Sounds fun.”

Noah started his car and pulled out. Jill sang a favorite song.

The open road felt good.

February 29, 2024 22:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Holly Gilbert
22:20 Mar 06, 2024

I love the metaphor. It's also really annoying trying to find a parking spot. The story also kind of flows naturally. I would like at least a little description on the dress. Other than that, It's a neat story.

Reply

John K Adams
22:38 Mar 06, 2024

Thank you, Holly for reading and commenting. Parking spots are a universal bane on our society. Thanks, also for the dress comment. I could have gone further than just saying it was a bride's maid dress. I'll fix that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen Spencer
12:57 Mar 06, 2024

I liked the progression of your story, and how you told a simple love story in a metaphorical kind of way... sometimes it takes a lot of parking garages to get you where you need to be. What a pleasant story. :)

Reply

John K Adams
15:34 Mar 06, 2024

Wow, Kathleen. That is an amazing comment. Thank you for reading and giving me your astute comments. Glad you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Kathleen Spencer
18:29 Mar 06, 2024

:) You are welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
12:18 Mar 01, 2024

Adorable story ! I can feel the frustration of trying to find a spot. (Probably why I don't drive. Hahahahaha !). Great job !

Reply

John K Adams
14:41 Mar 01, 2024

Thanks, Stella. This challenge was fun to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
05:09 Mar 01, 2024

Sunset ride in the hills sounds better than endless parking.

Reply

John K Adams
14:43 Mar 01, 2024

Thanks, Mary. I would hope so. I always appreciate your reading and comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Truth
22:27 Mar 02, 2024

Your pacing is just so cool but lyrical all at the same time. It’s so distinctive.

Reply

John K Adams
00:01 Mar 03, 2024

Thank you, Happy, for reading and the high praise. I liked the challenge of this prompt and had fun with it. It's always great to get feed back.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Truth
19:39 Mar 02, 2024

Man your flow is so smooth. Its like music.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.