1 comment

Historical Fiction

Sonni was helping her step mother wash the dishes and clean their house which didn't require much physical exertion as their house was petite but immaculate. Always as immaculate as a newly bought mirror the primary reason for this is that their special focus lied on cleaning which in Islam is described as a law.

However in subcontinent Muslims were given a status of big Oasis of uncivilized people. Now according to the Britishers they have enough information to prove that the statement that they make is correct. That Muslims refused their English education system and the rest of their lives will be toppled already . Sonni wasn't was not aware about any of this I wish I could tell her that the next week of her life will not be favourable for her or her future.

Sonni was a musical genius often people did not regard her for her talent as they considered her an illiterate Muslim. However she had feverish and burning love for music which she never experienced in any other hobby cleaning and cooking was obligatory as she didn't want to displease her abusive step mother. Her step mother Sultana didn't appreciate Sonni's talent but at the moment she had to as it was one of the two sources of income. "Hurry up you insolent sloth look at me how briskly I complete the work and everything is in order, thank God I am not Like you who is a work-shy. You know that you are going to be married soon?" Sonni contempted her when she talked about marriage as Sonny was only fourteen years old. "Please can we drop this subject right now?"She asked in as respectful tone as possible in fear of being beaten by a rolling pin. Sultana didn't reply but averted her eyes. And walked away. Sultana headed out the door though Sonny had no idea where she went probably to one of her idle friends house to gossip about their families. That was the only thing she was adept at. But Sonny didn't mind a bit but was contended that she went away for a little while. Sonny took out her archiac flute which according to the history belonged to her grandfather. She was a big fan of Quantz Flute or Frederick the great King of Prussia died in 1786 one of the best musicians in history. Sonny heard about him when first she read about him in grade seven when she used to go to school but after this Britishers had stopped finding Indian Schools as they refused to study English. Sonny has also heard that many Indians including both Hindus and Muslims are starting a war of Independence. Another rumour which had been circulated throughout the subcontinent is that the new cartridges which the British military had introduced its end has to be bitten before using it the rumors are that the end is made of cows and pigs fat. This is a big issue in case of religion as pigs are Haram for Muslims and cows sacred for Hindus. Sonni's brother Ali was in the army as well that's why she also strongly hoped that these rumors are just a false otherwise big uproars can be caused. To calm her mind Sonni started to play with a sense of embouchure that in terms of music was elegant and what we can describe as vivid and colourful in sense of notes and music she played containing frequencies and pitches from high to low.Each note a complex wave which brings the melodious music to be heard seen and relished by people.The mixture of frequencies not as a separate sound but as the color of the sound. The variations in timbre between specific notes were played with feverish enthusiasm appreciated by many. Because of her Focused, resonant and mellow notes earned her place in the several weddings or functions in which she played flute and in return she was paid. Playing flute made pride swell in Sonni's heart as she considered this as the baby-steps of her career. Strident and harsh voices were coming from outside probably an other protest. Sonni went to her window and swipped the curtains to take a closer look. The protestors appeared belligerent and infuriated at the same time. THeir fists were raised in the air and in coherence were shouting "We WILL NOT LEAVE MOTHER INDIA."

In the crowd she saw a familiar face worried and she recognized him. Ali was coming towards the house, Sonni's heart did back flips of joy and she hastily opened the door to greet her anxious brother. He looked as if he was shaken by fear after couple of minutes he began to explain. "Sonni I came here because I wanted to tell you that the war will be started and that the budget will be tight." He breathed and started again. "Just find a safe place to stay until this war ends and don't worry about anything I will provide you with the food." "But you said that the budget will be short and if you are siding with the Indians in this war you will not get your salary." "I know but we can't give up hope I don't care about Sultana or even father he never did anything t0 improve our position." " I agree but we will go to that safe place after i attend a wedding tonight you know to play my flute." " Ok but just tonight." Sonni nodded but she was confused. Than from that four am till the seven am she kept pondering over her brothers fate and their economical situation. Finally when the time came for her job. She took out one of her elegant dress which was of red crimson and wore it and plaited her hair into a braid. She picked up her flute as an accolade and told Sultana that she was going to the wedding. "Be back on time" she said and averted her eyes. Sonni ignored it and went her way which wasn't very far. Her palpitations were getting more rapid. The hall was ostentatious and luxurious. Majority of the people were happy and contented with  the lively environment filled with the aroma of delectable foods and melodious music. Sonni did not heed to her surroundings although for some it might be a memorable evening but for her, her own problems were enough to pressurize her mind. Due to this factor her music wasn't that much lively as it used to be but to cover it she played some complex notes. The time seemed to pace at a snail's speed . Finally when the time came and the organizer seemed to have a soft corner in his heart he gave sonni one rupee though they agreed on two Anas. But one rupee can keep her standing for couple of days. As soon as she received the money and rushed outside to see her brothers slitted throat and warm blood gushing out from it. 


                              The commence of the struggle 

Sonni couldn't believe her fate. How could it be so barbaric? Now she wasn't having any of the heroic thoughts about avenging her brother because it can possibly result in reverse. Ali was the only hope she had in the world both of her parents didn't even bother to care about her. She felt a vibe of solitude like it was with her at every step of her life but now it felt painful to her like she had not experienced before.

All she had was one rupee and uncertainty. She had to pull herself together she did had a talent and she had to use it in the most productive way possible and earn as much money as possible before the war commences.  The wars starting was evident but its ending was unpredictable. Now what hope was left. “Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.” Although she was still in shock but she tried to uplift her spirit with some of the inspiring thoughts. Life had tentative terms or at least that what gullible humans think in the end they have to comply with its rules. Finally Sonni checked her brothers pockets and clothes in the hope of some money. All she could find were two rupees. I want to find more work before the war commenced but it won't be easy, she thought.  A whim seized her mind. She looked at the direction of wedding hall it was still luminous. Although what she was thinking of do had a little chance but she had to try. Despite her shock she gathered her might dried her tears with her bare hands. And went inside the hall and darted her gaze at all the sides until she spotted the organizer, She gathered her courage and went to him. “Excuse me sir, my father is infected by a fatal disease and if he wont get treated soon there is a chance he might die and I dojnr want this to happen and I came here to ask for your favor that if you cant get me work somewhere it would be a big favour.” He looked at her with a sign of puzzlement on his face as he was unable to interpret her Urdu. Sonni disappointed and ashamed rushed out of the hall humiliated. Now she was truly lost. She didn't want to go back to her house as her step-mother will take all the money from her. But what choice did she have? She was stuck in a dilemma. The night was dark, the zephyr was friendly but her instincts were hurt and broken. The best option was to go back home and give her step-mother one rupee next morning wake up early and steal it again and conceal the rest of the two rupees in the soil of plants. She went forlornly to her cottage or petite house.


The British Army

Commander Dyer copy I think I found the assassins house.

 ‘’Now what should I do?” although he was well aware of the General Dalhousie's orders. “What do you have to do plant the bomb and conceal it well that no one can find it  and note that the plan should be executed. The family of assassins should die and present it as an important lessons for others, that if they will dare to kill any of our men they will deserve the same faith as this Ali!” “Note that the bomb is to explode in ten minutes so get away from here as much as possibleNNM                                                       The english militarian obeyed and concealed the bomb in one of the two plants and then went back to his destiny.


Back to the struggle

At an ungodly hour Sonni went back to her house and with great precaution buried the two rupees in the rich soil. If only see can take heed of the second plant after ten minutes she would have still been alive! Like her grandfather who had an innate talent but died before he could experience the inner beauty of that talent. Like her grandfather Mohammad Hassan she was regarded as a martyr or shaheed.



January 31, 2020 16:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Shifa Asif
11:15 Feb 07, 2020

great narrating of the events of war of 1857

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.