0 comments

Coming of Age Sad Romance

“We’re just too different.” It just won’t work out. 

I’m not trying to be mean, but I don’t want to be in a relationship with someone too different than myself. 

I wish I had dated my best friend, Carter as we are the same and not different, freaks like you are gross and different. 

I’m sorry but it’s for the best. 

As I closed my eyes, I knew I didn’t want you to be in my life. 

I blocked Alex and messaged Carter without any thinking. 

I pulled out my phone to see if Carter was free to hang out at my place. 

Carter responded a few minutes later. 

He was free so I tried making weekend plans with him. We are super closer and have been friends for 3 years.

I met Carter on my hockey team, and that’s when we got to know each other and began really good close friends. 

Carter and I planned to hang out on Sunday when he was going to come over to my house. 

Hours later before Carter was on his way, I unblocked Alex. Without saying anything at all to Alex, I sent a photo and blocked him again. 

Once Carter arrived at my place, I couldn’t be happier for things to happen. 

As my parents were home, I directed Carter to my basement. Slowly, I was starting to get disappointed when Carter started to set a boundary and wanted to take the relationship slowly, as we were getting started.

It was okay after all, I continued to have the thought of wanting to send Alex flattering pictures of myself and block him again.

For that reason, I tried not to let it bother me in front of Carter. As I was thinking positively by changing my mindset, and in that way, I told Carter how grateful I was to see him as well he complimented me on my red dress. 

Afterwards, I took Carter out for dinner and we went on our first-ever date. The two of us have been seafood lovers forever, especially for shrimp and fried octopus. 

We ordered Strawberry Cheesecake for dessert and I asked for the bill.

The bill was pretty high, but at the same time, it made it worse having to tip the server for the service. Dinner and dessert were $95.00 exactly plus a $5.00 tip came to $100.00 exactly just for dinner. 

After our visit, we took a ten-minute walk to my house as we didn’t have a car to even drive. At home, we made chocolate chip cookies for a movie. It took thirty minutes to bake, we watched a two-hour movie and Carter packed up to leave for home. 

When Carter left, it was 11pm at night. 

I unblocked Alex, but he was online and wanted to know why I was sending him pictures, even though he knew I have a boyfriend. 

I refused to tell him why I was by mentioning that I can’t say anything at the moment. 

Before I blocked him, he threatened to tell my boyfriend and not keep it a secret as it was considered cheating. 

I had a long day and was exhausted crazy. I was too tired but quickly was able to brush my teeth before I fell asleep. 

The next day, I woke up later than normal. Thankfully, I didn’t have any plans so I wasn’t so concerned or worried.

It was exactly 9:30am in the morning and I was still pretty tired, and just grumpy for no specific reason. 

When I got out of bed, I reached out for my phone and headed to the kitchen for breakfast as I saw a text from Carter sent to me a few hours ago. Right away, I responded no time apologizing that I was sleeping and that I wasn’t just ignoring him at all in any way. 

I went into the drawer and reached for the Lucky Charm cereal. As I poured the cereal into my favourite handmade bowl, I had the biggest smile on my face. I was surprised and shocked at the messages and emojis Carta sent me. 

Carter sent me a lot of different heart emojis like the lips and heart eyes. I felt really good about this relationship. 

Afterwards, I ate breakfast and I picked out an outfit to wear outside while I left the house for some shopping. 

The first place I stopped at was a dress store that recently opened a few weeks ago in the neighbourhood. I looked at all the blue sparkly dresses when I got in that were all on clearance. I ended up choosing three of them that were my style to try on.

I thought this would be the perfect opportunity in case I plan to go to any parties anytime soon. After trying all three dresses on, I ended up paying for the second dress that had more of a low cut which I was pleased with. 

After I left that store, I went into a Sephora that was not far by. Everything was an overall experience and there were no sales. Anyways, knowing that I still ended up buying the red and pink lipstick on purpose knowing I’ll be needing them soon.

As I was leaving the store and walking back home, I texted Carter multitasking at the same time as walking. 

Of course, I made plans with Carter for that evening to go for dinner together the two of us. That gave me the opportunity to wear my new blue dress and get his thoughts before I wear it anywhere else.

I promised Carter that I would book reservations and meet him at the restaurant at 5:30pm. That’s exactly what happened.

Carter was wearing a very handsome suit that looked great on him, and he loved my blue dress. We sat down across from each other and ordered Chinese food for dinner. 

Everything happened so fast that I was getting overwhelmed, I was really happy to see Carter and knew how much I wanted to marry him.

I ran to the washroom and threw up. I was so nervous and excited.

January 28, 2023 03:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.