0 comments

General

He stood surveying the damage, with no idea of the time. The blackened earth was still hot, and Dan was exhausted. Behind him, Phil stood, his face was streaked with tears his normally pale skin blackened by the ash. The devastation still evident, there were enough embers and sparks against the darkness to show the reason for the exhaustion.

“Phil?” it was Dan in a hushed tone

“Yeah, mate!”

“I can’t believe this.”

Phil touched Dan’s shoulder lightly.

“It might be too early Dan, we don’t know the damage, wait for the call”

Dan knew in his heart what needed doing. Tears ran down his dirty face too.

EARLIER

It was four o clock, and mighty hot. The guests were due around seven just after milking. Dan surveyed the newly tidied room resembling a motel room; every book on the shelves stood like soldiers before an inspection, the furniture was dusted, empty coat hangers in the wardrobe, and suitcases sitting side by side next to the desk at the window. He had a peek at the sky something did not ring true; only Dad would know if it was something ominous. Meanwhile, he looked out the window again, surveying the surrounding landscape, dotted with ghost gums spoiled by ancient farm equipment, along with the enormous milking sheds and barns. Occasionally as though to create an authenticity that amused him. the silence was broken by a cow possibly telling her calf to behave.

Dan Street was about to leave all this, venturing to the city to begin a degree in Commerce and Economics. At eighteen he felt it was a new adventure. He would stay with a couple of mates at the campus and life was going to be a hoot. He had done well at his grades given he was a country yokel, and from time to time his Aunt and Uncle would have him over for meals at his Aunt’s insistence. Yes, Dan was looking forward to spreading his wings, to discovering what kind of man he would be, as opposed to what he was.

“My goodness.” it was Mum behind him scrutinising his handiwork with a critical housekeeper eye “what a difference Dan. Your room is usually a plurry mess.” she giggled “Could you get me something down from the top shelf in the pantry, love?” He followed her into the kitchen.

He was going to miss Mum, her cooking, her advice even when he felt it was not warranted. In just three days, he would venture to Melbourne but right now the country yokel had to be ready for the milking and clean himself up before dinner, and the send-off.

“Here he is.” it was Dad, “Mum tells me you’re moving out and she might take a lodger in.” they laughed” “it ain’t gonna happen, Dan. Mum is just pleased as punch about the new chapter and your bed will always be here for you, you know that don’t you mate?”

Dan just smiled. They had really wanted him to take over from them and were disappointed that he wanted university. He was sorry, but the decision was his to make and was made, fortunately, they respected that, though it meant that his brother may have to take over when he too reached the impressionable 'right to vote' age.

“That sky looks odd.” said Dan “oh well this is not getting the milking done; thank goodness for technology.”

Most of the cattle were attached the automatic milking machines, though some cows were still milked manually, it saved time and energy. Dan was glad he had persuaded Dad to invest in these machines, it meant that there was a less physical strain on a man in his early fifties, the age where health concerns could start, even for someone who appeared to be “as fit as a Malley bull”.

By the time they entered the house, the salads were made and the meat was ready to be placed on the barbeque. Friends from the community were coming, including Phil, the mate driving him to Melbourne. Suddenly a wave of sadness came over Dan which he hoped might only be the jitters.

Soon the glasses were filled and people were standing around, their plates fairly groaning with the weight of food, sharing old times and mate stories, as only the Aussies can do. Dan hardly knew what they did in Melbourne far less the rest of the world, but he was going to make the most of it anyhow. He jutted his chin out in determination.

He could not believe this was all for him, who was he to deserve a send-off like this? He was Daniel Raymond Street, eventually the title ‘Bachelor of Commerce’ would follow his name. Doors would open that a farmer’s son would not know unless he was prepared to try chapters new. Yes, the decision was made.

Amid the chatter, Dan became aware of that acrid smell of smoke then saw sparks from the milking shed roof. Fortunately, Phil saw it too and yelled “Fire.” Together they ran, leaving plates and glasses on the table. Others followed suit. In another shed, buckets were pulled out and filled with water from the nearest tap. Dan was grateful that it had not been a drought year, sufficient rain had filled the dams, they would get this under their belts quickly. Nice thought until…

He could hear Dad’s voice “Look at the sky. I hoped I read the signs wrong.” So, Dan’s jitters were more akin to that sense of foreboding, for lightning erupted, nothing was hidden; this was not a Beethoven sonata gone mad, this was the thing farmers dread. The thunder made mincemeat of conversation, scaring the cattle, causing panic. Mum and the ladies packed everything away, quietly almost solemnly, while the menfolk fell into line doing what bushmen do in a fire. It was eerie, it was treacherous; it was inevitable. The thing they dreaded most, that the fire would scorch the dry earth began. Unless a miracle happened, the next thing would be the beautiful ghost gums. The main milking shed was gone, destroyed in its entirety. Dan could only think that things would have been different if they waited and continued to milk manually.

“Dad I’m so sorry.” he thought he was talking to himself, but Dad was beside him.

“No mate, don’t blame yourself. I noticed something wonky in the last machine today you know nearest the door, Foolishly, I thought it would be okay. Problem is the insurance won’t cover it probably won’t cover anything.  Just as long as the house…”

More lightning, trying to protect the cattle was useless, though attempts were made to send them, guide them, coerce them to move to another paddock. Betsy and Dora the dogs barked out commands like a headmaster in assembly.  Slowly they moved and someone locked the gate.

Dan joined the team who were hosing the house trying to protect and salvage it Suddenly without previous warning he heard Mum’s cry of anguish so unlike her natural calm voice.

“Ray!  Ray! What are you…? Oh, Golly, someone help. Ray, Help”

Galvanised into action Dan and Phil ran, through the kitchen, down the hall. Ray lay on the floor, deathly pale gasping. 

“Dad?” Dan’s expression was a mixture of concern and exhaustion.

Ray trying to breathe was protecting his chest.

“Bloody sore,” he said

Phil ran to the phone, calling the ambulance, getting through. It was not long before a siren could be heard.

The guests were just a sea of faces, though two of the ladies were with Mum. Some asked if they could help, most just wandered away as though exhaustion made them scared. Soon Dad with Mum beside him was taken to the local hospital. The long wait for news had begun.

“Would you like me to stay, mate?” Phil’s voice was gentle “I can sleep on the couch if you will lend me a shirt for tomorrow.”

Dan nodded his smile was tired

“Yes Phil, that would be great.”

“As I said, we won’t know…” Phil did not quite know what to say.

“It won’t matter, Phil "                                                                       

 “Eh”

“I won’t be going to Melbourne with you, my place is here,”

“You feel responsible,” said Phil

“Maybe that’s part of it, maybe I have discovered what kind of man I am, country born and bred". said Dan.

Just then Dan’s mobile rang He answered a little anxiously

“Mum? A mild heart attack?’ he was flabbergasted “Oh okay” she was chattering nineteen to the dozen. Phil was trying hard not to laugh.

“Mummy!” that title silenced her it always did “I ain’t going anywhere, the decision is made.”

August 05, 2020 04:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.