0 comments

Fiction

The Cenote Journey

It was still just barely morning, the sun shone brightly on the turquoise blue waters and the jungles of southern Mexico. World renowned Marine Biologist, Wildlife Photographer, and Ocean Conservation Blogger from Quebec City, Canada, Jacoby "Jake" Lasteau stood on the very edge of a dock jutting out of the beach and into the sea, all decked out in his Scuba gear, GoPro camera on his head, and a professional photographer's camera in hands.

"Now then, let's see what wildlife this beautiful place has to show us!" He thought to himself.

Jake then dived off of the dock and into the water and snorkeled at a leisurely pace. Seaweed, Corals and Anemones of every color, size and shape dotted the landscape under the water's surface. Jake was able to take photos of Snapper fish, Parrotfish, Groupers, and Blacktip Reef Sharks above and around the Coral Reefs. From the seabed, Jake was able to take photos of Mobula Rays gracefully gliding the floor of the ocean.

When Jake surfaced just at the edge of the lagoon, he saw a cave entrance in a cliff wall to the west, and swam over. 

Right by the Cave was a group of Manatees sunbathing and grazing casually on Sea Grass in a shallow crevice. Jake took photographs of the group of sunbathing Manatees.

Once he was right in front of the Cave entrance, Jake switched his snorkel for his Scuba mouthpiece and went in. The inside of the cave was so dark that it was pitch-black, so Jake turned on the flashlights on his oxygen tank. He also grabbed a hook, jabbed it into the cavern wall, and tied line around it. He then proceeded to swim forward, unrolling the roll of line as he went, until the path forked three ways.

Jake tried to navigate the path that was on the right, only to find a dead end. The path that was on the left lead to a large, empty cavern where Sea Grass flourished under the water, and Fish and Sea Turtles thrived. The path that was dead in the Center of the fork lead to a massive Cenote.

In the ceiling, there was was a small limestone sinkhole, just small enough that Natural Light from the afternoon sun could illuminate the center of the chamber, but no more than that. The light from Jake's flashlight helped Jake to see the intricate rock formations in the Cenote in greater detail. Bats hung from the ceiling, fish and Green Sea Turtles swam below the turquoise water of the surface in fields of Sea Grass, and stalagmites and stalagtites dotted the landscape. Jake had explored the Cenote's massive chamber, taking all the photos of interest he needed, then he climbed on top of a rock column just barely jutting out of the water's surface, and then sat and took in all of the natural beauty. 

The inside of the large Cenote truly felt like it was a unique place not of the earth, like it was an alien realm inhabited by the Gods themselves. Jake Lasteau could see now why the Mayans had revered these places as sacred. After taking it all in for just over an hour and a half, Jake Lasteau navigated the darkness of the cave, following the Line, this time to leave. When he exited the mouth of the cave, Jake was greeted by the sight of a Pod of Common Dolphins that were traveling north for the summer in the distance in front of the light of the setting sun.

Jake took a quick photo of the traveling Pod of Common Dolphins, headed back on to dry land, and then returned to the hotel.

In his room in the Hotel, Jake first took a shower and got changed into some casual clothes, uploaded photos and Gopro footage to his laptop, and updated his Ocean Conservation Blog by posting a Blog entry about his most recent expedition.

"Bonjour, my fellow Water lovers! Today I've visited one of Mexico's most beautiful Natural Landmarks and Biodiversity Hotspots, the Cenotes! The Mayans believed that the Gods combined their Wisdom, their Dreams and their love of Natural Beauty to create a scenery that mixes together the greatest aspects of Natural Scenery, when the Cenotes were created, the Mayan Gods were so proud with their results, they decided to share in their splendor with us lowly mortals! Mexico is famous for it's seaside Caves, naturally formed by Limestone Deposits. Geographically speaking, these caves are all unique from one another, and are also home to many flora and fauna. Always have Hooks and Line with you when Spelunking at all times! Never lose sight of the Cave Entrance, or survival will NOT be guaranteed! But if you are experienced enough, and if you come prepared with the right safety equipment, it will be worth it, as you will be rewarded by finding a Cenote! Exploring a Cenote is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience, I had discovered a Cenote that was teeming with Coral, Sea Grass, Snapper Fish, Green Sea Turtles, Bats, Queen Conch, Parrotfish, wandering Stingrays and even a pod of Dolphins, to say nothing of what it's like to see the light of the sun beaming down from the hole in the cieling. It's like staring up into the faces of the Mayan Gods themselves. This is why we advocate for protection of the Natural World, so never stop being a voice for the Oceans of the world, after all, if YOU won't stand up to save our Oceans, then WHO ELSE will save our Oceans?

 -- Jacoby "Jake" Lasteau." 

To celebrate, Jake ordered some Room Service and opened a bottle of wine...

Author's notes: Jake Lasteau was inspired by the legendary Marine Biologist Jacques Costeau.

If you took in anything at all from this short story, I must ask that you please take in the last two sentences of Lance's blog entry. After all, like Jacoby Lasteau said, if YOU or I don't stand up to preserve the Natural World, then WHO ELSE WILL stand up to preserve the Natural World?

As always, thank you very much for reading!

May 07, 2021 05:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.