0 comments

Holiday

Sometimes you get stuck in the future, you shouldn‘t forget the past. Maria is a secretary women, everything about her life screams “normal”. Her husband wants her to become a house wife but she’s been refusing. New years eve they have a big argument and she actually thinks about it. ‘If it will make him happy‘ she starts to think to herself before bed. She goes to sleep miserable before waking up. She decides to start things off right. So she gets up. before realizing that she’s not in her home. So she slowly walks towards the living room only to hear a grown man scream like a squealing pig. Then she sees her, her grandma. She can tell from the old pictures, is her grandma threatening to curse that man? He runs and she turns towards her with a piercing gaze “who are you and why are you in my home”. For a split second Maria freezes before explaining the situation. “I see...” her grandmother turns and points a knife at her grandchild,”do you think I’m crazy?” she asks which scares Maria quite a bit. They go back and forth for a while and eventually grandma accepts it. “Why are you here” She ask, knife still in hand. “I don’t know” Maria admits. her grandma has a seat “what’s troubling you?” She asks softly before Maria describes the husband situation which earns her a slip upside the head “you don’t need a man. Him having you is a luxury he doesn’t need. You need to draw the line, preferably with a machete“ she declares. Maria still felt unsure, her grandma has always been a bit crazy but powerful and unrelenting. “Drop him sweety” she says seriously. Maria nods but how will she tell him if she isn’t there. She spends new years with grandma which isn’t to bad. It was actually kind of fun. She goes to sleep happy and wakes up back in her own bed. She checks her phone and it’s New Year’s Eve, again. She gets out of bed and buys that machete to draw her like. Three years later she’s the ceo of the company. She wakes up, makes a coffee, takes a nice hot shower, gets dressed, and eats breakfast with her wonderful girlfriend of two years. She smiles as she hugs her “thank you for everything, and happy New Years“ she whispers in her ear.


December 30, 2019 21:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.