The Forgotten Princess

Submitted into Contest #30 in response to: Write a story in which someone finds a secret passageway.... view prompt

6 comments

Mystery

By: Michael Speicher

Chapter 1 :

   Mary Masters was only 10 years old when her life changed forever. See mary was a normal little girl that lived a normal life. She went to public school and had to do choirs at home. She got grounded and had a bedtime. She was normal, well at least she thought, until that one crazy night. Mary kissed her mom goodnight like she did every other night. Then she went to her bedroom to lay down. She was tired but for some reason could not sleep, she laid there for what seemed to be hours, tossing and turning. She missed her dad, she hadn't ever met him; even though she still felt like she knew him. but he couldn't live with her because her mom said: "their personalities clashed." Mary did not think this was fair at all, what did their personality have to do with her. Eventually, mary drifted off to sleep. She awoke in the middle of the night to what she thought was chatter. But she looked around the room and could not see anyone there. She sat up on the edge of her bed, she noticed light shining through the crack in her closet door. She got up, feeling kind of groggy from just waking and trudged over to the closet. Before she could open the door, someone from behind her said. "No Madam don't open that door!"

Chapter 2 :

  It was too late she opened the door and could not believe her eyes, the floor of her closet was gone and there were steps that lead way down into the dark she gasped and covered her mouth. "Your Majesty I told you not to open the door!" She turned around startled, she could see her room pretty good with the light coming from the closet but she still didn't see anyone. Her desk was against the wall in her room with various books and papers on it, there was also a box of Crayola crayons she used to draw; Mary loved to draw. "Who is there?" she called out to the dark. "Why it is I, your Majesty, Catherine is my name or Cath but your more than welcome to call me Cathy or Cat." A beautiful white cat came out from behind the desk its eyes reflected the light from the closet door, they were a marvelous green. The cat said, "King Goldcraft sent me to get you right away your kingdom is in danger, Madam." Mary didn't understand; not just the fact that the cat was talking but the fact she said "your Kingdom." "What do you mean my kingdom?" she asked, in a shocked voice. The cat merely walked over and went between her legs purring, "I don't have time to explain we must hurry, you will find out when we arrive." The cat Catherine as she calls herself headed down the steps and disappeared into the dark. Mary was intrigued and didn't know what else to do but follow her.

Chapter 3 :

Mary descended the steps which seemed to go for miles she was at 52 steps before she finally stopped counting. Torches lit the way after they were about halfway to the bottom. It was a twisty staircase that seemed to spiral the whole way down. Once at the bottom, finally, she thought. It was a dungeon with cells that lined the right wall which was made of grey bricks. The wall to the left had torches on it for light and chains and shackles hanging here and there. Catherine said. "Follow me, your Majesty, I will take you to your father King Goldcraft." My father Mary thought that isn't possible my father lives in Ohio. She followed the cat up another flight of stairs these ones thankfully were straight. The huge red door opened at the top of the step and Mary and the cat stepped into a great big hall with red carpet with gold trim going straight through the middle of the room. Mary said. "This is beautiful Catherine!" Catherine, however, continued walking and purring along. There was a humongous table in the middle of the room that seated more than 20 guests it looked like to Mary; she didn't count though she gave up on counting after the stairs. Finally, they got to the King's chambers. There were guards posted on both sides of the doors, they had on gold plated chain mail and swords hanging from their hips; she had no idea what kind of swords she didn't care much for them. Catherine did a circle kinda like a dog chasing its tail Mary thought. Then she said, "her Majesty is here to see the King!" The guards hurried and opened the chamber and Mary and Catherine walked the red carpet to the King.

Chapter 4 :

The King was very pleased to see Mary, he jumped up out of his seat and ran to her. He picked her up and started spinning her around and around kissing her cheeks. "My have we missed you Mileena; I've been worried sick about you." The king said. Mary looked at the King puzzled. She said, "My name is not Mileena you must have me mistaken for another girl sir." The King circled her looking her over and said. "No, I'm sure I know my daughter when I see her and you are Mileena Goldcraft I am positive." He gave her another look over. She had a million and one questions for The King, but she pushed that aside and asked. "So why have you called upon me know after all these years?" The King looked sad and replied, "I sent you away to live with your mom; she wanted a normal life for you, so I granted her it because I loved her and you dearly." The King touched Mileena's cheek, his hands were rough like someone who had worked hard their whole life. "Anyhow someone broke into the castle and stole the Royal Scepter and the Queens crown which was your Mothers." He looked down at the floor depressed then back at her and continued. "That is why I need your help, we need to get that Scepter it holds Magic that in the wrong hands could destroy the Goldcraft Kingdom!" Mary looked at the King and asked. "My mom knows about this place?" The King looks at her and for the first time, she notices his eyes are a beautiful baby blue, he says, "well she did; my head wizard wiped her mind of the memories so you two could try and live a normal life." Mary/Mileena looked at him with her big blue eyes and said, "I don't understand, why to live a normal life if we aren't normal?" The King laughed and said, "I asked your mom that same thing, my dear, and she replied, she felt you would be in danger." The doors to the king's chambers opened again; walking through the door was a man in a cloak carrying a big staff with what looked like a gold eagles talon on the tip, it had a silver ball in the center of the golden talon.

Chapter 5 :

 " ah, just in time to meet the great Princess Mileena." Said the wizard. A closer look at the silver ball in the center of the talon and Mileena could tell it was an eagle eye, and it was moving around or rather looking around. "I am Nathaniel, the great wizard of Goldcrest, at your service milady." "Any news from Haven?" The King asked giving the wizard a very interesting look. "No, I have not your majesty, I'm still looking into it." The wizard said in a very serious tone. "Catherine show Mileena to her room and finish filling her in." The King said, then he turned his attention toward the wizard. Mileena followed Catherine out of the chambers and into the hall. "Your room is on the second floor, it is also my room," Catherine said. "It has been my room since before you and your mother left." Mileena looked at the cat with curiosity. They finally arrived at Mileena's bedroom, it was everything she imagined a princesses bedroom to look like. It had a huge canopy bed and a big vanity with a mirror, a huge walk-in closet she bet could fit half her house in, she smiled as she thought about this. Right beside her bed was a beautiful canopy bed for a cat. Must be Catherines she thought. Mileena sat on the bed, she had a lot to take in, how could her mom not of wanted her to be a part of this life. How selfish of her mother to make that decision. Catherine walked over and laid on the floor in front of her. She was looking at Mileena with wonder. So it seemed. 

Chapter 6 :

  Mileena was feeling homesick. She missed her mom, I wonder how long I've been here she thought. Catherine was still looking at her when she said "I believe the person that stole the scepter and crown were from another kingdom, the evil kingdom of Vile. There is an evil princess born on the same day as you." Mileena couldn't help noticing how green the cat's eyes were. Cathy continued, "her name is Santanah Vile, make sure you keep your distance from her she's dangerous." Mileena never heard of an evil princess before. Catherine said, "take your time to adjust and then come to the throne room to talk to the King." Catherine turned and left the room purring all the while. Mileena couldn't believe it her actually a princess. This was crazy, she needed to head back and talk to her mom and what about her best friend Monica, what would she tell her? She left her bedroom heading for the dungeon. She had to get back home and speak with her mom this is real... Unbelievably real. She quietly opens the dungeon doors and heads down the spiral staircase into the dungeon, half way down she grabs a torch off the wall.

Chapter 7 :

  Mileena had to dash behind some barrels as soon as she got to the bottom of the stairs. They're where two guards holding what looked to be a girl, she had on peasant rags and looked filthy. The great wizard Nathaniel was present talking to the guards, she listened quietly, "this girl is to be locked up in the secret room with the other threat, only four more to go. What a splendid day it's been." The great wizard headed up the steps passing right by the barrels on his way. The guards continued down the dark narrow dungeon. Mileena followed silently, she watched as the guards turned one of the torches on the wall and a door was revealed behind the brick wall. She snuck through the door behind the guards and hid behind a crate. They opened a cell to the left and threw the girl in. The guards then turned a torch on the wall in this room to open the passage again, they left and the door sealed shut. She got out from behind the crate and ran to the cell. "Hello, who are you? and what have you done to get locked up?" Mileena asked with wonder in her eyes. From the cell on the other side, she got an answer. "She won't be able to answer you for a while, are you from around here miss?" Asked the man in the cell. Mileena looked at the man again and noticed he could only be around 16, hardly a man at all. She said "no I'm not... Well not really. What have you done to be locked up?" The boy looked at her his brown eyes were studying her. He replied, "I'm the prince of The kingdom of Silvern. I'm the future King, they have kidnapped me."

Chapter 8 :

  Miranda was staring at the boy in disbelief, truly this could be no future king. Is King Goldcrest going to kill me? Or is this another plan of his to get riches?" The boy asked. Mileena studied him and said, " king Goldcrest is a good fair king so I highly doubt that!" The boy started laughing hysterically and said, "he is the worst and most hated King in all the Kingdoms in the world!" Mileena walked away from the boy turned the torch and headed to the steps that lead her to her closet and back home. She finally got to the place where the stairs to her room were but to her dismay, they were gone. Where are they she thought, at this moment all she wanted was to hug her mother? All of a sudden she was scared. From behind her, she heard movement, she spun around fast and noticed it was Catherine the cat. Catherine was staring at her with her glowing green eyes. "Where are you going, your majesty?" Asked Catherine. "I'm going back home to check on my mom!" Mileena demanded. All of a sudden Catherine transformed into a beautiful woman in a Black and gold dress. "I am Goldcrests Queen, I am also your aunt, and your mother's sister," Catherine called for the guards. They came to her side and placed shackles on Mileena and placed her in the cell with the girl in the rags. "It's a shame Mileena that you will rot in this dungeon." Then Catherine let out a wicked evil laugh and stormed off with the guards. To Be Continued...

February 25, 2020 10:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Amanda Mitchum
18:36 Mar 06, 2020

I like the flow of your story. It was easy to follow, but without paragraph breaks it was a little hard to read. I'm ready for the rest of the story!! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shirley Medhurst
12:11 Mar 05, 2020

I love your style of writing, so reminiscent of a fairy tale and really well done. I was totally immersed in your story. I do have a question though. Why did you swap from the past to the present tense on a few occasions? Was that intentional? or just by error? (I found it jarred me back to reality, which was a shame). Like Amanda, I also wondered about the grey font - but I guess that's just the way things are...... Anyway, Bravo! - I look forward to the next instalment.

Reply

13:21 Mar 05, 2020

Glad you liked it, some of it was intentional... Not going to lie though some might of been in n error 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Chan
21:37 Mar 04, 2020

This story took me on a whole journey and I thought it was clever how you managed to craft these short chapters. They made me feel as if I really was reading a story book, especially with the chapter titles. As for content, I was expecting a secret passageway but what you gave us is even richer than I’d imagined. I love the whole idea and your wide imagination really shines through. The only thing I would say be careful with is after dialogue it’s normal to put a new paragraph, so it’s not all bunched together and easier to read as well a...

Reply

21:54 Mar 04, 2020

Thanks I appreciate the feedback, I honestly have no clue why it's gray lol

Reply

Amanda Chan
22:16 Mar 04, 2020

Oh, haha! Hopefully Reedsy can fix it then if it’s not you who changed the color :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.