2 comments

Christian Science Fiction Inspirational

This story contains sensitive content

(Contains different aspects of faith, may not be suitable for all religions)

Mark was always fascinated by the supernatural. As a child, he would stay up late watching horror movies and reading books about ghosts and demons. He was convinced that the world was filled with dark forces that were just waiting to take over.

But as he grew older, Mark began to distance himself from those beliefs. He became more rational and scientific, as rejecting the idea of supernatural forces and embracing a materialist worldview. He believed that everything in the world could be explained by science, and that there was no need for any kind of supernatural explanation.

But that all changed one day when he found himself in a strange place. He was no longer in his apartment or his city, but in a vast, dark void. And he wasn't alone. There were other beings there, dark and twisted creatures that seemed to be staring at him.

Mark was terrified, but he also felt a strange sense of familiarity. It was as if he had been here before, or at least something like it. And then he remembered.

He had signed up for a new kind of virtual reality experience, one that promised to take him to the edge of his fears and beyond. He had heard that the technology was so advanced that it could create an entire world, complete with its own laws of physics and its own inhabitants. And he had been curious, despite his skepticism.

But he had never expected this.

As he looked around, Mark saw that the world around him was like something out of a horror movie. The sky was blood red, and the ground was covered in bones and skulls. The creatures around him were grotesque, with twisted limbs and sharp teeth. And they seemed to be watching him with hungry eyes.

Mark tried to run, but he found that he was unable to move. He was trapped in this place, with no escape. And then he heard a voice.

"Welcome, Mark," the voice said. "I am the Creator of this world."

Mark looked around, but he couldn't see anyone. The voice seemed to be coming from all around him.

"I have brought you here to teach you a lesson," the voice continued. "You have denied my existence for too long, and I am here to show you the truth."

Mark felt a cold sweat break out on his forehead. He had never believed in God, or in any kind of divine being. He had always thought that religion was a tool used to control people, to make them afraid and submissive.

But now he was face to face with something that he couldn't explain. He was in a world that seemed to defy all the laws of physics and nature. And he was hearing a voice that seemed to be coming from nowhere.

"I am the Creator," the voice repeated. "And I have created this world to show you the truth."

Mark tried to protest, to argue that there had to be some scientific explanation for what he was experiencing. But the voice didn't listen.

"You have always been interested in demons," the voice said. "So I have created some for you to meet."

And with that, the creatures around Mark began to move. They closed in on him, their claws and teeth gleaming in the red light. Mark could feel his heart racing, his breathing becoming shallow.

He tried to close his eyes, to shut out the horror around him. But the voice wouldn't let him.

"Open your eyes, Mark," the voice commanded. "See what I have created for you."

Mark obeyed, and he saw that the creatures around him had changed. They were no longer twisted and grotesque. They were beautiful, with soft skin and perfect features. And they were smiling at him, inviting him closer.

Mark felt a strange pull, a desire to join them. He had always been fascinated by the dark side, by the power and the secrets that it held. And now, with these creatures beckoning him, he felt an irresistible temptation.

But then he heard another voice. A voice that was dark and seductive, but also menacing.

"Mark, my friend," the voice said. "Do not listen to the Creator. He is a liar and a deceiver. He wants only to control you, to make you into his obedient servant."

Mark looked around, trying to find the source of the voice. And then he saw him.

A figure was standing in the distance, watching him. He was tall and imposing, with dark wings and glowing eyes. He was like nothing Mark had ever seen before.

"Who are you?" Mark asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"I am the Devil," the figure said. "And I have come to offer you a choice."

Mark looked at him, unsure of what to do. On the one hand, he was terrified of the Creator and his power. On the other hand, he was drawn to the Devil's charisma and his promise of freedom.

"What choice?" Mark asked.

"You can join me," the Devil said. "I will give you power beyond your wildest dreams. You will be able to control the world around you, to make it bend to your will. You will be free from the Creator's grasp, and you will be able to create your own destiny."

Mark felt a rush of excitement. This was everything he had ever wanted. Power, control, and freedom. He had always felt trapped, limited by the constraints of the world around him. But now he saw a way out.

"And what about the Creator?" Mark asked. "What will he do?"

The Devil laughed, a dark and chilling sound.

"The Creator is powerless," he said. "He cannot control you, unless you let him. But if you join me, you will be invincible. No one will be able to stand in your way."

Mark hesitated. He knew that this was a dangerous choice. The Devil was not to be trusted, and his promises were likely to be empty. But at the same time, he couldn't deny the lure of power and control.

As he weighed his options, he heard a new voice. A voice that was gentle and comforting, but also stern.

"Mark, my child," the voice said. "Do not be deceived by the Devil's lies. He seeks only to destroy you, to take you away from me."

Mark looked around, trying to find the source of the voice. And then he saw a figure standing next to the Creator. It was a man, with kind eyes and a gentle smile.

"Who are you?" Mark asked.

"I am Jesus," the figure said. "And I have come to offer you a different choice."

Mark felt a wave of confusion. He had never believed in Jesus, or in any kind of religious figure. He had always thought that they were just myths and legends, used to control people and enforce morality.

But now, as he looked at Jesus, he felt something different. He felt a sense of peace and calm, a sense of love and acceptance.

"What choice?" Mark asked.

"You can choose me," Jesus said. "I will not give you power or control, but I will give you something far greater. I will give you love and grace, forgiveness and redemption. I will take away your fear and your doubt, and I will show you the way to true freedom."

Mark looked at Jesus, trying to understand. He had always thought that religion was just a set of rules and dogmas, meant to restrict people's actions and thoughts.

But now he saw something different in Jesus' eyes. He saw a genuine kindness and compassion, a desire to help him and guide him.

"Why should I choose you?" Mark asked, still unsure.

"Because I love you," Jesus said. "And because I know what you truly need. You don't need power or control, you don't need to be feared or obeyed. You need love and acceptance, you need to be understood and forgiven. You need to find your true purpose and your true identity, and you can only do that by choosing me."

Mark thought about what Jesus had said. He thought about all the times he had felt lost and alone, all the times he had struggled to find meaning in his life. And he realized that maybe Jesus was right.

Maybe he didn't need to be feared or obeyed. Maybe he didn't need to be powerful or in control. Maybe all he needed was love and acceptance.

But then he heard the Devil's voice again. A voice that was angry and desperate, a voice that was trying to win him over.

"Don't listen to him!" the Devil said. "He's lying to you, just like the Creator. He wants to control you, just like the Creator. He wants to take away your freedom and your power, just like the Creator. Choose me, and I will give you everything you ever wanted."

Mark looked at the Devil, and he saw the hatred and the envy in his eyes. He saw the desperation and the fear, and he realized that maybe the Devil was not as powerful as he claimed.

Maybe the Devil was just like him, lost and confused, searching for something he couldn't find.

And then he looked at Jesus, and he saw the love and the hope in his eyes. He saw the kindness and the compassion, and he realized that maybe Jesus was the answer he had been looking for.

Maybe Jesus was the way to true freedom and true identity.

So he made his choice.

"I choose Jesus," he said, his voice clear and strong.

And then something strange happened.

The world around him began to shift and change, as if it was breaking apart. The creatures and the simulations vanished, leaving only darkness and silence.

And then he saw a bright light, shining in the distance. It was warm and inviting, and it filled him with a sense of peace and joy.

He walked towards the light, and as he got closer, he saw that it was coming from a figure. A figure that was standing in the middle of a vast and beautiful landscape, with trees and flowers and rivers all around.

It was the Creator, but he looked different now. He looked kind and gentle, with a smile on his face and a hand outstretched.

"Welcome home, Mark," the Creator said. "I have been waiting for you."

Mark walked towards him, and as he did, he felt a sense of love and acceptance that he had never felt before. He felt forgiven and understood, and he realized that maybe this was the true power and the true freedom he had been searching for.

He reached out and took the Creator's hand, and together they walked into the light.

As they did, Mark felt a strange sensation. He felt like he was waking up from a dream, like he was coming back to reality.

And then he opened his eyes, and he saw that he was back in his own world. The world he had always known, the world of technology and science and rationality.

But something had changed. Something inside him had shifted, and he realized that he could never go back to the way things were before.

He had rediscovered something old that he thought he'd lost. He had rediscovered faith, and he knew that it would guide him from now on.

April 05, 2023 12:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Timothy Rennels
14:05 Apr 13, 2023

You certainly exposed a lot of the objections to organized religion, showing that faith and acceptance aren't found in just churches.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jennifer Fremon
12:32 Apr 13, 2023

I thought this story was a very creative way to bring a person's internal struggle with faith to life. I like how you described the classic angel versus demon conflict. I did wish there was a bit more explanation about the virtual reality experience he signed up for. In the end it sounds like he just wakes up from a dream. Maybe the person who sold him the experience could be there at the end asking if he got everything he was looking for? Just a thought. Anyway I really enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.