0 comments

Science Fiction Adventure

The dragon had perished. Lost in a sea of gleaming gold, a hoard that had once given it great pride and joy but now seemed to offer nothing but emptiness. As the dragon grew older, it discovered that its hoard no longer held the same allure, that the thrill of acquiring new treasure had faded. As the dragon's physical strength diminished, so too did its material possessions.

It was a solitary creature, and yet it accepted companionship from those who were brave enough to journey with it. The dragon could not be found. Lost in a sea of glittering gold, a hoard that had once brought it immense pride and joy, but now seemed to offer nothing but emptiness as a reward for its ownership. Because as the years went by and the dragon continued to age, it realized that its hoard did not hold the same allure as it once did, and that the excitement of acquiring new treasure had diminished over time. The dragon had been looking for something more significant, something that could bring it genuine fulfillment, but so far, it didn't appear that anything had been able to meet the dragon's requirements for happiness and contentment.

This tedium and this feeling that nothing could be done were very peculiar sensations to have. Because a dragon is supposed to take pleasure in its wealth, power, and status, it should be proud of its hoard. But the dragon was unique, as it was unlike any other creature of its kind that had ever been seen. It had come to realize that a hoard was not a suitable replacement for companionship, and that true power and prestige could not be acquired by amassing a collection of valuables such as gold and jewels. With this knowledge, the dragon felt a profound sense of loneliness and ennui, as it understood that these possessions could not fill the void in its life that had been created by the absence of others with whom it could share its experiences.

It was a genetically engineered dragon that had been designed to be the ideal hunter and the most dangerous predator possible. Its genetic make-up had been tampered with, and its code had been modified, so that it would be superior to all other dragons in terms of speed, strength, and intelligence. Its treasure consisted not of precious stones and precious metals but rather of knowledge and comprehension. It had come to be understood that knowledge and understanding were more valuable than material possessions, and that having a true companion was more powerful and prestigious than having a hoard of riches.

But as it lay among its treasure, the dragon realized that all of its enhancements and all of the genetic manipulations it had undergone had left it with a hollow feeling. It had lost the thrill of the chase and the fulfillment of the kill, and as a result, it was at a loss as to what to do with the wealth it had amassed. It was a dragon devoid of any goal or objective, devoid of any significance. Because of this, it ventured out into the world in search of something—anything—that could satisfy the void that existed inside of it. It traveled through the woods and the mountains, it probed the depths of the ocean and the expanses of the sky, but it was unable to find anything that could give it the same sense of satisfaction as its hoard had in the past.

It continued on its way until, one day, it came across a village, a small hamlet at the base of a mountain. The inhabitants of that region were wretchedly impoverished and perpetually starving, and they lived in constant terror of the dragon that had made the mountain its home. And as it gazed upon them, the dragon realized that it had discovered something that could give it purpose, something that could fill the void that it felt within itself.

It came to the conclusion that it should keep watch over the villagers, using all of its strength and wit to protect them from the dangers that awaited them in the wider world. The dragon felt a sense of pride and belonging that it had never felt before as it watched over them and continued its never-ending patrols. This was something that the dragon had never experienced before. It became an integral part of the village, and the villagers soon began to recognize it as a guardian and protector. The dragon found solace in its newfound role, taking pride in the knowledge that it was providing a service to the villagers and protecting them from any potential danger.

Because it had not discovered its treasure in glittering gold and priceless gems, but rather in the love and gratitude of the people it had chosen to protect, it had found its hoard. And as it lay there among the grasslands and trees, the dragon realized that it was indeed a king, one who ruled not over a kingdom filled with riches but rather over a kingdom filled with love and protection. For the first time in its life, the dragon experienced a feeling of contentment, and as it looked out across the village that it had come to call home, it knew that no hoard could compare to what it had found.

And the dragon, as it gazed out over its domain, realized that it had finally arrived, that it had become a creature worthy of power and prestige, and that its ancestors had endowed it not only with physical prowess and mental acuity, but also with a heart and a soul. It had found its calling, and it was more than happy to serve the villagers for as long as it lived. With a newfound sense of purpose and pride, the dragon began its journey to spread love and protection throughout the land, taking solace in the fact that it was not only a powerful being but also one who truly had something to offer the world.

February 14, 2023 02:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.