My Desert Rose

Submitted into Contest #204 in response to: Set your story in a desert town.... view prompt

2 comments

Western Romance Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of sexual violence.

The sun set low over the vast, untamed land, casting long shadows across the dusty streets of Wild Gulch. The townsfolk whispered tales of a notorious outlaw on the loose, a woman with a fiery spirit and deadly aim. She was known as Belle Cassidy, a name that sent ice down the spines of even the toughest cowboys.

Belle had earned her reputation as a cold-blooded killer, wanted for the murders of a dozen madames who ran the whore houses that dotted the barren landscape. Some said she was driven by revenge, others claimed she’d gone mad. But one thing was sure, she was a force to be reckoned with.

As the town of Wild Gulch slept, Belle rode into the outskirts, her long dark hair flowing freely behind her as her horse galloped through the desert. She had her next target in sight, the Wild Rose Saloon, notorious for its corrupt practices and ruthless madame. Belle’s mission, eliminate the inception of her anguish, one scandalous woman at a time.

Unbeknownst to Belle, fate had something unexpected in store for her that night. Inside the Wild Rose Saloon, a young man named William had recently arrived in town, seeking a fresh start. He had fallen into the job of bartender, naively unaware of the establishment's seedy nature.

As she approached the saloon, the moonlight revealed her cold, determined stare. She dismounted her horse and stealthily made her way to the back entrance, her gloved hand hovering over the pearl-white grip of her trusty revolver. Making her way through the darkness toward the stairs, she collided with William, who’d come to fetch the mop.

Her gaze met his piercing blue eyes, the most handsome man she’d ever laid sight upon. There was an instant connection, an inexplicable ember that stirred something deep within her hardened heart. It was as if the world had faded away, leaving only the two of them in the dimly lit hall.

Belle’s grip on her gun loosened, and her purpose became clouded by conflicting emotions. The young man’s look of innocence and vulnerability struck a chord within her, stirring memories of a life she had long forgotten. For a moment, she saw a different future, a life she could share with someone who'd yet been tarnished by the darkness that consumed her.

William broke the silence, dragging her back to reality. “I’m afraid Madame Carmine’s already gone home for the evening. I was fixin’ to clean up and head home myself soon. But I can stay a spell if you’re needin’ a bite to eat or something to wet your whistle.”

He spoke to her with such sweetness that she recoiled, a reflex of her distrust. She thought for a moment. It had been a long ride and even longer since she'd eaten a decent meal. Plus, Belle figured, she could con this sap out of his shoes if she were so inclined.

“I suppose I could eat,” Belle replied.

She followed him to the barroom where she noticed a man slumped over at the opposite end of the long, smooth bar top. She mounted a stool as William made his way around the bar to fetch her some food and a glass of water.

“Don’t mind ol, Bodie down there. His wife passed a few months back and he just never wants to go home no more, so Ms. Carmine lets him stay. He usually wakes up about the time she opens in the morning.”

As William approached her, Belle snapped at him like an agitated rattler, “Get me a whiskey boy!” She’d learned over the years that men did what they were told when a woman’s stinging voice had a certain tone about it. This one was no different.

Startled, he set down the plate with a clatter and nearly spilled the glass of water. He reached for a bottle off the back shelf and a glass from under the bar. Failing to hide his fear, he spoke with a quiver, “Hhhhere you go, ma’am. You lllook like you’ve had a rough night. Thisss one’s on the house.”

Belle slammed back the drink before spatting out, “Don’t call me ma’am and I don’t take no pity from no man.” She flung a few coins onto the bar before demanding another pour.

William, taken aback by her coarseness, stammered out a meek apology. “I meant no disrespect. I just, I….” He trailed off not knowing what more to say.

Belle realized she may have been too rough on him. After all, he had invited her in without even knowing who she was. She snatched up the whiskey and poured it straight down her throat before taking a bite of the grisly meat set before her.

As she chewed, her host took the opportunity to introduce himself. "I'm William. It's a pleasure to serve such a beautiful lady. You're not from around here are ya?"

"No," her reply a bit muffled from the mouthful of venison. 

“Do you need a room for the night? I can’t let ya stay here but I got an extra room at my place. It’s close by.”

She hadn’t thought about needing to stay long. Normally, she burst in and out of town like a summer storm, swift and violent, but gone before morning. Belle looked him over real good. He seemed harmless, but didn’t they all at first?

Belle finished the last bite of food and polished off the glass of water before giving her curt reply.

“Reckon if I must.” 

She watched him tidy up behind the bar and waited as he checked on the old man, still sleeping. Then she followed William to the back door where their night had begun.

She untethered her horse and walked alongside William. A nervousness fell upon her like a schoolgirl on her first date with a boy. Thankfully, it didn’t take long before they reached his little shack, just off the main road.

She tied up her horse and followed William inside. As he lit a candle, she looked around the meager living room and admired how neat and tidy everything seemed to be. She began to wonder if there was a Mrs. William he’d forgotten to mention. Belle decided to find out more about her new companion. 

“So, William, how’d you end up behind a bar in Wild Gulch?”

William sat on a worn-out wooden chair and gestured for her to take a seat in the rocking chair. The flickering candlelight cast a gentle glow, creating shadows on his weary face. He felt it was time to share with someone his painful story, to unburden his heart from the weight it had carried these last five years.

“A monstrous storm rolled in that afternoon, the kind that makes your heart race and your bones ache. I’d been fired for drinking on the job and injuring one of the rancher’s horses. Instead of going home to my wife and new baby girl, I stopped by the saloon.”

Belle leaned in, her eyes filled with concern and genuine interest. She clasped her hands together, giving William her undivided attention. 

“The saloon was alive with patrons seeking refuge from the tempest outside. Thunder roared like a freight train and lightning crackled across the darkened sky, illuminating the town with an eerie glow. 

“In the midst of the chaos, I sat at the bar, drinking with other men who sought to drown their troubles. I should have gone home to my family. They were my world, my reason to keep going in this rugged land.

“But fate, it seems, had a cruel twist in store for me that night. The storm raged on, and as the evening wore on, I found solace in the amber liquid that filled my glass. I couldn’t resist the numbing effect it had on my troubled soul.

“As the hours slipped away, and the whiskey flowed, I became lost in a haze of drunkenness. I stumbled out of the saloon seeking respite from the noise and the weight of my existence. The creek, along the back of my property, was my sanctuary, a place where I could forget, if only for a moment.”

He paused, his voice trembling with a mixture of grief and regret. Memories flooded back, vivid and haunting.

“While the rain poured down relentlessly, a single bolt of lightning tore through the sky, striking the farmhouse with wrath only nature possesses. The fire that ensued was a merciless beast that devoured everything in its path. Emily, and Clara, my precious angels were trapped inside, their helpless cries drowned out by the storm’s fury and I, too lost in my misery to save them.”

His voice cracked, tears welling up in his eyes. Belle reached out, placing a comforting hand on his arm.

“When I returned home, stumbling back through the mud, I found only smoldering ruins and the agonizing silence of a shattered life. My heart broke that night as I realized the magnitude of my negligence. The next morning, I started walking west, towards the desert, intent on dying. Instead, I found myself here, in Wild Gulch.”

Belle hadn’t expected such a tragic confession from this poor soul. Now, she began to question everything she’d come to believe about fairness in life. It seemed she wasn’t the only one who’d been dealt a shitty hand.

William showed her to the spare bedroom next to the kitchen, leaving her to get some sleep. Belle took in a deep, cleansing breath before lying down on the worn mattress. Her eyes fluttered closed with exhaustion while her mind continued to race.

She awoke the next morning to the smell of coffee and bacon. For a moment, she’d forgotten where she was. She'd never slept in such peaceful comfort. And William's story had softened her heart, giving her new hope.

Days quickly turned into weeks as Belle enjoyed spending time with William while laying low and contemplating her next move. But the town wasn’t oblivious to Belle’s presence. The lawmen, led by a relentless sheriff, were closing in on her trail. Wanted posters had sprung up all over town, offering a hefty reward for her capture–dead or alive. The townsfolk grew restless, fearing the violence rumored to follow in Belle's shadow.

Late one evening, while she prepared their dinner, William burst through the front door, waving a large piece of paper and talking a mile a minute. She took the paper from him, recognizing the face on the wanted poster. It was hers.

“Belle, is that really you on that poster? Tell me it’s a mistake.”

She met his desperate gaze before hanging her head in shameful defeat. “I think it’s best we take this conversation outside by the fire. I’ve heard the flames can cleanse your soul by speaking your pain out loud. Seems, my time's come”

William sat by the campfire, his eyes locked on the dancing flames. The crackling firewood echoed in the quiet night, mirroring the turmoil within his heart. Belle sat across from him, her face partially illuminated by the flickering light.

She stared into the fire, searching for the strength to unload her heart’s arduous burdens. She took in a long slow breath and began with a warning.

“There are some things in my past that I’d rather keep buried. Not because I don’t trust you, but because they’re far too painful to revisit.”

William’s eyes softened, his curiosity mixed with empathy.

“Belle, I understand that some memories can be haunting. But I shared my darkest moment with you! Losing my wife and baby girl…it nearly destroyed me. I need to know you, all of you, no matter what it costs.”

Belle raised her gaze from the lapping flames and briefly locked eyes with William before confessing her greatest sins. 

“She always told me how beautiful I was when I was a child. My little desert rose she’d call me. How I’d come to despise that name.

“She'd said it would only hurt a little and would be easy money. Lying bitch is what she was. Only thing she was ever good at.

“A hairy beast of a man nearly tore me in two as he ravaged away my innocence. I screamed in agony which only excited him more. Once he’d finished, he laughed at the sight of me, blood seemed to pour from between my legs.

“Tears streamed down my face as I crawled to the washroom to clean up. My mother came to check on me, not because she cared but because I had another customer waiting. She changed the sheets and told me to put on a little makeup this time. Said I’d get better tips.

“Before long, I became numb to the pain and humiliation I felt but my anger at her betrayal grew voraciously. Just before my 16th birthday, I found myself with child, but the beating I took from a regular fixed that problem. As I stared into that busted mirror, blood trickling down my leg, I knew something had to change.

“That night, filled with rage and a little whiskey courage, I snuck into my mother’s room. I stood over her, watching her sleep, a smile upon her lips. I grabbed the first thing I laid eyes on, the iron poker for the fire, and beat every inch of her body, starting with that wretched grin.

“Covered in blood and dripping with sweat, I ran from her room and didn’t stop running until I got to the river. There, I cleaned up and built a fire to stay warm. I fell asleep, exhausted by my fury.

“The next morning I awoke thinking it had been some horrid nightmare. But my blood-stained clothes were all the proof I needed to know it wasn't a dream. I was free but at what price? I had no one and nowhere to go.

“Ever since that night, I vowed to destroy every madame who steals the beauty and innocence of others to fill their purses. Then, I ran into you and my whole world flipped on its head.”

Belle looked over to see tears streaming down Williams’ face, revealing the ache in his heart from the horrors she'd just shared. He reached out for her hand before he spoke, barely above a whisper.

“You’ve endured more pain than the world should ever allow. You’re a strong woman to have survived as you did. Stay with me and you’ll never have to suffer again.”

Her eyes welled up with tears, a mix of gratitude and vulnerability shining through. They sat in silence, the crackling fire providing a comforting backdrop. Through their confessions, they'd discovered a glimmer of hope, a chance for healing the wounds of the past and embracing the uncertain but promising future that lay ahead.

The following night, as Belle and William shared a timid kiss under the star-filled sky, a posse arrived at the Wild Rose Saloon, their guns drawn. The sheriff led the charge, fueled by a sense of justice and a desire to be famous for catching the notorious outlaw.

Belle’s heart sank as she heard the commotion out on the street. She knew her time had run out. She turned to William, her eyes filled with love and regret. “I’m sorry William, I never meant for any of this to happen.”

But William, his eyes filled with unwavering devotion, took her hand and said, “I won’t let them take you.”

Together they raced toward the men set on capturing her. Guns blazed and the echoes of bullets ricocheted through the night. The odds were against them but their love burned brighter than the fires of hell. And for a fleeting moment, they believed they could escape the clutches of their tumultuous lives. 

And then, a bullet found its mark, striking William in the chest. Belle’s heart shattered as she watched him crumple to the ground, his life slipping away before her eyes. Time froze and her anguished scream silenced the gunfire.

With her love lying motionless on the ground, Belle’s grief turned into a furious rage, unleashing a final barrage of bullets. Outnumbered and wounded, she knew her fate had been sealed. With tears streaming down her face, she dropped her guns as she raised her hands in surrender, her fiery spirit subdued.

Belle Cassidy, the infamous outlaw, was apprehended and brought to justice. The townsfolk rejoiced, relieved that her reign of terror had ended. But amidst their celebration, whispers of a tragic love story began to circulate.

In the years that followed, the memory of Belle and William lived on. Some spoke of a fierce, unbreakable love that defied the boundaries of the wild west. Others saw their tale as a cautionary one, a reminder of the dangers of crossing paths with a vengeful heart.

And though Belle Cassidy’s name became a legend, forever etched in history, it was the memory of her love for William that lingered in the hearts of those who dared to remember. A love that blossomed amidst the darkness, and ultimately had become both her salvation and her undoing.

June 30, 2023 01:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

David Sweet
16:17 Jul 03, 2023

Is this based on a true story? It sounds like Western Pulp Fiction, which is a fun genre. Good job capturing that essence. Good luck in all your writing endeavors.

Reply

Carrie Van Hoose
02:55 Jul 04, 2023

I'm flattered at the Pulp Fiction reference, one of my cult classic favorites. As for based on a true story, only just slightly with lots of extra drama for the cameras. Thanks for the thumbs up and generous compliment. ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.