Contest #132 shortlist ⭐️

80 comments

Christian Inspirational

My daughter’s house smells like a cup of London Fog. Black tea leaves and orange bergamot kissed with vanilla. The scent permeates everything, even her clothes, so she carries it everywhere. When people ask, she excitedly explains that it’s her favorite tea. My husband and I joke that she has been called to preach her doctrines to the coffee drinkers of the world. She’s already had a number of successful conversions.

I watch as she spoons sugar into a porcelain teapot as the leaves steep. Bright purple violets decorate the body, and a thin vine curls its way around the ornate handle. 

“You’re going to love this!” she assures me.

I sit patiently at the kitchen table. She’s been after me to have a cup of tea with her for a while. I don’t know why I waited so long. She goes to the built-in shelf next to the window and pinches the rim of two saucers, carefully balancing the cups that rest on top. None of the cups make a set. They are all individual treasures she has plucked from various thrift stores and antique malls across the country to create what she calls her “Collection.” 

Today, she’s chosen the Dogwood and Sunflower cups.

Once the tea is poured, she sits across from me, the skirts of her dress fluttering as she rests in the wooden chair. Her palms wrap gently around the cup, and she raises it towards her face, closing her eyes and inhaling deeply. I watch this ritual with some curiosity, and decide to try it, myself. 

The warmth of the teacup reaches from my palms all the way to my chest. I shudder slightly as I move it just above my lips, letting the fullness of the scent reach me. I feel a tingle beneath my eyes, deep in the skin, and then I take a sip. When my eyes open, Elsie is staring at me intently.

“This is good,” I admit. Her exhale is loud, dramatic, and filled with relief.

“I told you! Isn’t it so deliciously rich?” she prods.

“I don’t know why I expected it to taste like coffee,” I reply. “It’s not bitter.”

“Exactly! And did you know…”

I drift somewhat as she begins to remind me of the health benefits, but I keep sipping on the tea. A few leaves sit at the bottom of my cup, and I swirl them amid the last drops of the London Fog before setting the cup back down on the saucer.

Elsie reaches for the plate, and her sleeve pulls back, revealing her more recently acquired tattoo along the underside of her forearm. I gaze at the sparrow outlined in deep blue ink, and the iconic phrase of “Matthew 10:31” underneath. 

You are worth more than many sparrows.

“Has Dad gotten used to the idea yet?” she asks. I must have been staring for too long.

“You know your father,” I remind her. “When he makes up his mind, it’s hard to change.”

She sighs, and crosses to the sink, setting my empty cup down inside.

“It’s a beautiful thought, isn’t it?” she says, quietly. “Sparrows weren’t anything valuable in ancient Israel. Yet something humanity deems so worthless still has the attention of God. Not a sparrow falls from the sky without His knowing. But we think somehow He will forget us.” Her eyes reveal she’s on a journey now, albeit a short one. There is a peaceful happiness that washes over her face. It gives her a glow. “So don’t be afraid. You are worth more than many sparrows.”

I bite my lip a little nervously. “Why did you have to get it on your skin?”

“What’s wrong with that?” she poses to me.

I hear my own mother’s voice resounding in my head. Something about Leviticus, and not cutting yourself for the dead or marking your body. But I don’t offer that. Elsie has heard it before. Somehow, she’s gotten past it.

“You know the type of people who get tattoos,” I say, instead. The look she gives me makes me wish I could take it back. It says you know better and here we go at the same time.

“I’m the type of people who get tattoos, Mom,” she tells me, gently. “What does that mean to you?”

A myriad of thoughts barrage me, and I can’t voice any of them. I don’t want to voice any of them. But they still come.

“It means you’re slipping away from what we taught you.”

“It makes me worry about your soul.”

“Are you unhappy? Is this for attention?”

“Did you do this to rebel against me and your father?”

“Where did we go wrong?”

But when I look at her face, it makes me question everything I have believed.

“I don’t know,” I manage.

She gives me a nod, and sits back down. I can tell we’re not done with this conversation. She’s just gathering thoughts. I’m not surprised. This girl spent two years on the debate team at school. Her brain can back you into a corner faster than you can recall what you just said.

“Did you know Jesus has a tattoo?” she opens.

I blink. This has to be some crazy, new age, mega church madness that a tv pastor pumped out. How can my daughter, who was in church from two weeks old, who led her youth group, who went to Bible classes every week, be pulled into that? How?

“Elsie, you’re being ridiculous,” I reply.

“I’m serious! In Revelation, John says that he sees Jesus in Heaven, and,” her voice pitches down. It always does when she is quoting scriptures. “On His thigh is written, King of Kings, and Lord of Lords.”

I blink again. I’ve read that passage hundreds of times sitting in my den. I’ve read it inside three different Bibles. My children’s Bible that my father gave me when I was in First Grade. My Study Bible, which I purchased as a college student. And my Mother’s Bible that came home with me when she left us last Christmas. But I have never reached Elsie’s interpretation before.

“I don’t think that’s what it’s saying,” I try.

“Really? It sounds like it to me. What else do you call something written on someone’s skin?” she asks. I don’t have an answer, and she knows it, so she continues. “But more importantly, why does He have it?”

She pauses to pour herself another cup of London Fog. I can almost see her pupils dilating from the caffeine that is surely hitting her bloodstream. Her enthusiasm is palpable.

“What do you mean?” I sputter. I need to buy some time to attempt a true response.

“Why would Jesus need to have King of Kings and Lord of Lords tattooed on his skin?” she repeats. Luckily, she doesn’t give me the chance to try and respond. “Doesn’t He know who He is? Doesn’t He remember? Of course He does!”

Now, she takes a breath, and stares back into her teacup. Her finger reaches up and runs over the words on her arm. Those sweet words that remind her how much she means to Him.

“The message isn’t always for the person who wears it,” she tells me. “It’s for the people who read it. And trust me, people read tattoos. They can’t help themselves.”

I had to admit, that was true. I was guilty. When the girl at the checkout line in the supermarket reached for my items and revealed a phrase across her wrist, I would pause to see what it said. Or the teller at the bank, or the stranger with his sleeves rolled up. It seemed like my eyes were just drawn to the words.

“And maybe when they read it, it’s a reminder that they needed. Or maybe they’ve never seen it before, and they come up and ask,” her voice pitches again, “Hey, what does your tattoo mean? I’ve had so many random conversations with so many random people about this verse. And you know what? I think God is just fine with that. Maybe He wanted me to talk to them. Maybe I got to be the first person to let them know, Hey! Guess what? You are valued!

I just stare at her. There’s a red mark on her neck that darkens when she gets excited. Only a few people know to look for it. And right now, it’s flushed crimson. 

Her words permeate a wall of doctrine that has stood so firmly in my mind, it had surely grown moss along the ridges of its stones. When was the last time I told someone they were valued? Not in the supermarket, certainly. But now, I imagined my daughter on the bus, or in the park, or getting popcorn at the movies, and stopping to remind someone that they were worth something to God. 

And it was a beautiful thing.

I reach out to her, and she takes my hand. I know we’re done. She doesn’t need a concession. She doesn’t want me to admit defeat. That’s not her way. But we both know, we have reached a place of understanding that we haven't explored together before. But we’re here now. And it feels good.

“I’d like another cup of tea, if you don’t mind,” I tell her.

She smiles. “I was hoping you would.”

February 10, 2022 16:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

80 comments

Story Time
17:05 Feb 18, 2022

This reminded me so much of an Updike story. So well-framed and with so much going on under the surface. Congratulations.

Reply

17:13 Feb 18, 2022

Kevin, that means so much to me that you feel that way! thanks for taking the time to read my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen Fine
15:16 Feb 18, 2022

Very well written! Great read!

Reply

16:10 Feb 18, 2022

Thank you so much, I’m glad you could enjoy it! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McCampbell Molly
22:10 Feb 15, 2022

I love the idea of having tea with your mom. What a heartwarming story. I can feel the warmth of the cup now.

Reply

01:07 Feb 16, 2022

I’m so glad you feel nice and warm 😊 I love tea, so it was easy for me to write about! Thank you for stopping to read my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Colpo
20:45 Feb 15, 2022

I absolutely loved this. You have such a talent for descriptors and forming the story to flow effortlessly. I loved the graceful slip from tea to religion! Tattoos can be such a tender topic between generations, and you captured this open and honest discussion perfectly. I very much enjoyed reading this, and I'm excited to read more of your stories!

Reply

21:39 Feb 15, 2022

thank you, Michelle! that really helps me so much, I need all the feedback I can get! I'm glad you felt the story didn't "lag" between the topics. Tattoos are a very contentious area for my family, and I wanted to write about something personal, so here we are :) thank you for reading, and I will be sure to check out your writing as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mister X
19:46 Feb 15, 2022

Top notch work. Definitely professional grade.

Reply

21:25 Feb 15, 2022

I feel extremely flattered, thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:42 Feb 15, 2022

I absolutely love the imagery in the first paragraph. The interpretation of the Bible quote and how people just want to be valued instead of judged. I never had a tattoo and I often wonder why people get them but that's me. I should, like the mother come to value the message instead of the canvas the message is etched upon. Great story!

Reply

18:28 Feb 15, 2022

Kathryn, thank you so much for reading my story. I was having a rough day, and this made me smile ❤️

Reply

18:37 Feb 15, 2022

Keep your chin up kiddo. We all have rough days. Keep writing. You are very good at it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
16:32 Feb 15, 2022

Hannah, I really loved the imagery and the dynamics of mother daughter duo. And the story left me with a warm fuzzy feeling. I smell a winner in this. Best of luck!

Reply

18:20 Feb 15, 2022

Thank you, Suma, I am happy to bring you the warm fuzzies! :)

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
03:06 Feb 19, 2022

Yay! Congratulations! 💐 I knew it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
16:10 Feb 15, 2022

Hannah, first of all thank you for taking the time to read my story and comment so sweetly. I must tell you that I am a huge fan of your writing style. You have a gift for description that I admire not only because you do it so well but because it's a gift I don't have. There are storytellers and there are writers and occasionally there people who do both. You do both. Ironically this story also hits very close to home for me and in some senses gives me a peace I didn't have before. Thank you for that as well. I plan to read you more. I'm...

Reply

16:58 Feb 18, 2022

Lee, your comments just made me so very happy ❤️ I’m glad you enjoyed the story, and I’m grateful it could be something special for you. I look forward to us getting to read each other’s work 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Abigail Frost
02:55 Feb 14, 2022

Hi, I really enjoyed this story! I think the dialogue is good, and I enjoyed Elsie's argument for the tattoo. The difference in viewpoints between generations was handled very nicely. I would love it if you could check out my story and give me some feedback!

Reply

03:10 Feb 14, 2022

Abigail! Thank you so much for reading 😊 I definitely will look at your work! I enjoyed getting to think about the Mom’s perspective (I tried to step inside my own mother’s thoughts)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
21:59 Feb 13, 2022

Phenomenal writing all around, Hannah. Your story from last week too. I had to come back and read this one again. You are immensely talented. I love how normal the situation is in the story - just a mother and a daughter having sharing tea and a conversation - and how you transformed that into something magical and profound. My favorite stories are the ones that find the extraordinary in the ordinary, and I believe you succeeded. Great characterization (I love the little detail about the daughter not having a matching pair of teacups), gre...

Reply

22:45 Feb 13, 2022

Aw, thank you, Zack! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I’m excited to get to read more of your work as well! My bestie and I have a term we use called “gut punch” to describe some of my stories. I think you are also part of the “gut punch stories” club 😁 I’m glad to get to share each other’s work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angela Guthrie
13:57 Feb 12, 2022

Good job Hannah! What a beautiful message.😊

Reply

15:48 Feb 12, 2022

Thank you, Angela! I’m here to spread some love 😁❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Marlow
03:20 Feb 11, 2022

The inter-generational discourse is handled well on both sides. Faith can be contentious, your honesty shines. 'it had surely grown moss along the ridges of its stones' was my favorite phrase.

Reply

11:54 Feb 11, 2022

Thanks, Kevin, that means a lot to me! This was a difficult piece to write (for so many reasons Lol) thanks for taking the time to read it! Funny enough, I debated about leaving that line in there. I guess I made the right choice by leaving it 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Barrett
16:32 Feb 10, 2022

This is wonderful, Hannah! At first I thought we'd be exclusively exploring the worship of tea (or coffee - worthy worships, both; pick your poison), but you pivoted to actual, religious worship so deftly. I just loved what you did here. Well done!

Reply

17:19 Feb 10, 2022

THANK YOU ❤️ this weeks prompts are very personal to me (my Mom’s family are Jewish immigrants, and my Dad is a Christian pastor Lol) I was nervous submitting this one, but you have reassured me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.