1 comment

Romance Sad

 Carol was a good looking woman and at fourty she was tired of going home to an empty house. Her best friend Sandy was continuously trying to hook her up. She would go on the obligatory blind date and sometimes she would date them for a few weeks but they would eventually end up breaking up.

“Hey Carol, you and Frank want to come with me and Joe to Mary and Dan’s wedding next month?” Sandy asked one day after work.

“We’re not seeing each other anymore,” She replied as they made their way out to their cars.

“Jeez Carol. Let them get to know you a little longer before you try and tie them up,” Sandy quipped.

“Ha. We just weren’t clicking so we decided to go our separate ways while we were still friends,” Carol explained.

“That’s nice. Do you think you can get one more date out of him?” Sandy asked.

“I wish. He has already met someone new. Sorry Sandy,” she offered.

“Okay. You can just go stag. Unless you can rope another before the wedding,” Sandy jabbed.

“Stop it. I’ll be there,” Carol stated as she started her car.

“Maybe you’ll get lucky and meet some good looking guy at the reception,” Sandy offered as she started her car.

“I won’t be holding my breath,” Carol said as she slipped her car into gear and drove off.

Soon it was time for Mary’s wedding. Carol got ready and then drove the twenty minutes to the church. Sandy and Joe looked nice. Carol didn’t look to bad either. She was sitting by herself when she met Ted. He was a friend of the groom, Dan, and they hit it off and spent the evening dancing and talking. They made plans to meet for a real date later, she was as ready as she would ever be so she agreed.

A week later they were heading to Mason’s for an evening of fine dining with dancing scheduled for later at a local dance club. Ted was absolutely handsome and she couldn’t believe that she was the woman sitting opposite him at the table. They ordered and made small talk during dinner. They continued getting to know each other.

“So tell me Carol. How do you know Mary?” he asked as the dined.

“Well we met in grade school. We became friends and we would play together, and we ended up going to the same summer camp. We remained good friends throughout high school and then college,” she replied. “How do you know Dan?” Carol asked.

“Surprisingly similarly. We’ve known each other since grade school. Obviously we weren’t best friends or I would have ranked higher on his list and been offered an usher position at least,” he commented and then laughed.

His laugh was a perfect laugh. Just the right amount of volume and seemingly genuine. Carol found herself laughing with him. She was captivated by his smile and his wry wit. She found herself falling a little for this man. She felt herself wanting to swim in his beautiful blue eyes. They talked and when the meal was through he helped her with her jacket and then they drove over to “Club Nine Point Nine” (‘Because nothings perfect’). They found a table and sat down. Ted ordered some drinks. They danced and chatted more until it was late. She was a little nervous on the drive back to her house.

‘What the hell,’ she thought. ‘You aren’t getting any younger.’

“Would you like to come in Ted?” she asked when he stopped the car.

“Perhaps for a little while,” he replied. “I don’t want you to think that you’re under any obligation.”

“I’m way past thinking that. I would like it really if you would come in,” she offered.

“All right then,” he said as he walked her up to her front door.

Ted spent the night and after breakfast he headed home.

At work on Monday Sandy was grilling Carol like a cheese sandwich.

“How was your date with Ted? Spill it. I want all the details!” Sandy asked as they sat down for a break.

“It was great. We went to Mason’s and then over to “Club Nine Point Nine”,” she answered.

“Swanky. Do you think he might be the one?” Sandy asked.

“How the hell do I know Sandy? This is only our first date,” Carol remarked.

“Second. Did you invite him in?” Sandy asked.

“Yes I did. And you can’t count the wedding as a first date either,” Carol explained.

“Whatever. When did he leave?” Sandy asked.

“After breakfast,” Carol answered and then turned red.

“You vixen. Looks like you finally scored a hit,” Sandy stated and then they had to get back to work as their break was nearly over.

Carol went back to work contented with her memory of her date fresh in her mind…

… Ted saw her sitting there all alone. She was okay so he strolled over and introduced himself and then sat down. They made small talk and danced a few dances and by the end of the evening they had made plans for a date.

That Monday at work, Ted’s pal Mark asked him about his date on Friday.

“I thought she was nice when I met her at the wedding. Boy was I wrong,” he replied.

“What do you mean? What happened?” Mark asked.

“I made the mistake of asking her how she knew Dan’s wife Mary. She started in on her fricken life story. Grade school, summer camp and then college. I wanted to ask her if she slept with her too. I managed to choke down my food and then we went to the club,” Ted explained.

“How did that go?” Mark asked.

“Better after I finally got some alcohol in me and her. I took her home and then she asked me in,” Ted stated.

“Did you go in?” Mark asked.

“Hell yeah. After spending that kind of cash on her I figured I better get something out of the deal,” Ted stated.

“You going to see her again?” Mark asked.

“Hell no. She just laid there like a fish. I had to do everything. At least I got breakfast out of it,” Ted stated.

They continued with their work, the memory of his date already fading from his memory.

The End.

August 25, 2020 23:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

00:12 Aug 29, 2020

Awesome!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.