1 comment

Drama Sad

“Adiós, Sharpe!” I rolled my eyes at my coworker, Brittany, who doesn’t seem to realize first names exist.

“Bye, Britt,” There was a loud boom right after I said that. Brittany shrieked, jumping back from the door.

“It is raining cats and dogs out there!” Her native southern accent slipped through in her alarmed state. I came out from behind the counter and got a closer look through the windows.

“More like bears and lions,” I spoke, peering at the old coffee shop sign swaying in the wind. “Do you want to stay here, wait it out?” 

She seemed to internally debate it. She let out a long sigh. 

“No, Trevor expects me home soon,” she spoke, exasperated. I shook my head at her.

“You’re still with that guy?” I stared at her, aggravated at the fact she won't leave him. She bowed her head, drawing in a breath.

“He’s all I got.” 

I watched her near-broken figure carefully. I finally made a decision. I left her side and went behind the counter, digging for my jacket. I pulled it out, fishing for my apartment keys. I walked over and handed them to her. 

“Go to my place, it’s closer. Your car won't make it very far in this storm.” She started to protest, mentioning Trevor again. 

“No buts, Brittany. That guy is bad news. Make yourself at home in my place and leave him. Even over text! He doesn’t deserve the time of day!” I watched tears start to well in her eyes. I knew how much Trevor meant to her because he convinced her that she wouldn’t get anyone else. I tentatively wrapped my arms around her. She sniffled, hugging me back.

“Go ahead now, watch the road, you know where it is.” She pulled back, wiping her eyes.

“Thank you,” She whispered. 

“Of course. Now go! The storm’s only going to get worse!” I started to usher her out.

“What about you?” She asked. I still had 30 minutes to finish up and close the coffee shop. 

“I’ve got 30 more minutes on my shift. Don’t worry about me. I’ll get home.” She nodded, hugging me once more. 

“Be careful,” I spoke softly. She opened the door, allowing a wind tunnel and violent spray of rain in. She shielded her face, running to her parked car along the bare street. I watched to make sure she left safely. 

I sighed, stretching, and went to clean up the counters. I got lost in the work, humming nonsense to myself. The sharp ding of the door snapped me out of my trance. I slid behind the register to take the person’s order. She was taller, thin, with a large black windbreaker covering her upper half, including her face. I opened the program on the register and got it ready while she decided what to have. I peered at the time. 7:50. Ten minutes until closing.

“What may I get you, ma’am?” The lady jumped with a sharp inhale. “I am so sorry ma’am, I didn’t mean to startle you,” I spoke calmly to her out of fear of an outburst.

“You didn’t startle me,” a kind but firm voice spoke. It plucked at my heartstrings with a shiver. I knew that voice. 

“Not at all,” she spoke, taking off her hood. Right there I could have spit my heart on the floor. It leaped that far up my throat. Memories flooded through my mind at an unbearable speed. My hands were vibrating, shaking, pulsating through my veins. 

 “Hi, Katie,” tears were brimming in her eyes. That just made me angrier. 

“Don’t call me that,” I hissed. “My name is Katherine to you.”

Her face crumpled and I felt a sense of pride. I regained my composure and continued as an employee.

“And to drink?” I asked through gritted teeth. 

“Katie, you know I’m not--” 

“I said don’t call me that!” I shouted, cutting her off. She jumped. She closed her eyes and took a deep inhale. I shook my head at her and checked the time again. 7:55. Could it go by any slower?

While she was deep in her thoughts, or whatever she was doing, I peered outside. The storm had gotten worse. I obviously couldn’t go home in that condition. So I’m stuck here. With her. 

“Katherine, why don’t we sit here and talk. We obviously cannot leave anytime soon,” her tone was calm. She kept glancing at the window, with a look of hope in her eyes.

“No,” I growled. “I have a job to do.”

I turned my back on her and continued cleaning up. The silence was deafening. She finally spoke up.

“Your shift is over.” I whipped my head around in her direction.

"How the hell do you know? Why the hell do you care?” With every word my volume escalated. I shoved the swinging half-door open, storming out from behind the counter.

“You care so much about my job, but never once cared about my birthdays, my concerts, or even required school events! I know damn well you were out with a different guy every night so drunk you didn’t even know what your shoes were! You never cared about me, about Dad, about anyone, but yourself and your booze! Now you waltz into my job and act like you know about my life when you don’t even know the theme of my 7th birthday party!”

She was taken aback by my outburst. She hadn’t moved from her original spot, and now I was just a few feet away from her. 

“Be honest, did you ever think about what you were doing? Did you ever think ‘hey, I have a daughter and husband at home, maybe I should care for them?’ You never thought that once. Did you?” She stood there, trying to appear stoic when in reality this was crushing her. 

“Did you?” I shouted once more, causing her to jump again. 

“I tried,” she was meek, defeated. She went to continue but I interjected. 

“You tried? You tried? If you tried you would have kept your job, kept the house, kept Dad!” At the mention of keeping Dad, she gasped. 

“Don’t go there,” she threatened. 

“That’s large of you to say, considering nothing would have happened if you were faithful!”

“I tried Katherine, so hard! Do you even know what went on behind closed doors?” Fury and rage coursed through my whole body and made their way through my being. 

“What went on behind closed doors was you blowing your money on alcohol, drugs, gambling, and God knows what! The bills weren’t being paid! We lived in a one-bedroom apartment! With a family of three! You think I didn’t know that! We could have been just fine in the family house if you didn’t go and mess it all up!” The rain sprayed against the window harder and thunder roared along, with a scream of lighting, all matching my rising temper. 

“I’m sorry,” She whispered. 

“You should be,” I stomped back behind the counter, angrily throwing my apron onto its hook. I sped back out, not looking back.

“The storm--” I ignored her, shoving the door open. I was hit by a blast of wind, rain, and chaos. I ignored it. A mix of shock, fury, and sadness fueled me. I strode to my car and slammed the door shut. I flipped on the engine. I could see her running after me in the rearview mirror, but I didn’t care. Storm or no storm, I needed out. I sped off, my tires swerving in the puddles. 

I drove without thinking, my foot gradually pressing farther and farther onto the gas. Seeing a flash of red, I slammed on the brakes. My heart was nearly vibrating, sweat seeping through my pores. My car skidded, swirling, and then a pulsating horn. Darkness.


February 05, 2021 06:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Brya Wallace
22:15 Feb 10, 2021

Good story, well written! Just wish it was a bit longer!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.