The Jackpot

Submitted into Contest #180 in response to: Set your story in a casino.... view prompt

3 comments

Fiction

In a dark and empty casino, perched up along a dark red wooden support pole, sat a slot machine. The machine glinted gold against the dust and darkness. And it was clear, with their white backgrounds, the dominant crimson red numbers that repeated across the three single frames. Seven. Seven. Seven.

    This slot machine was surrounded by a set of flashier slot machines with exorbitant names that could be seen in the darkness by the allotment of glitter and designs  to draw the eye. 

The rows of slots would never end if they could. At the end of them, they stared into that center support pole that was circled overhead by a staircase, tucking this machine in its own little corner.

All was quiet in this unnamed casino. No sound. No movement. Empty and dead.

A strange hum came from that center support pole, beneath the stairs and at the base of the slot machine. Clicking latches. A groaning breath of mechanical awakening. And the slot machine began to blink awake, each individual light bulb along its square box frame igniting before interweaving between the numbers. The frames that housed the numbers began to illuminate with a burning, unbound white light, igniting the red numbers a devil neon. The lever, gold and shimmering, held a translucent orb that changed in constant iridescent waves within.

The final lights cracked on with a loud hum, requiring massive energy from its generator to explode the lights over the machine. A banner read the red glitz and gold glamor  words “JACKPOT” spelled out by small, individual light bulbs.

The rest of the casino floor was lifeless. The simple slot machine burned its shining light over all, who appeared desolate and unresponsive. Alone the jackpot slot machine burned its siren glow. The numbers across remain the same. Seven. Seven. Seven.

In an instant, the casino clicked to life around this slot machine, no powering up. People were bustling across the aisles and rows of machines, of which they now flashed their endless lights that possessed the eyes of every person walking past, keeping them from blinking. 

Hands were being thrown in the air, cries of triumph, of defeat, all clamoring over these very machines that galvanized around them, their ringing alarm that would send most running for an exit instead brings people around. Utter chaos as blinding flashes of bountiful colors. 

Coins shot from the machines and people circled  to gather it up. They fell on top of one another, spilling drinks, and then clumsily getting each other up, rushing into the next machine, gloriously happy. 

There was a haze of smoke over the clientele throughout the casino floor. At the edge, peeking above it all, the jackpot sign glowing, a pulsating hum ever present beneath all that was going around. The numbers presented as they always have been. Seven. Seven. Seven. 

“Seven, seven, seven.” A figure stepped into view of the slot machine. They approached, dark pants and a matching black vest over a white collared long sleeved shirt, which was rolled up sloppily. “Hey Dig!” He turned, revealing his face framed by greased black hair that swung. “This what you’re looking for?” 

Another young man approached. He too wore the same clothes. His hair was buzzed short, red, and the glow of the slot machine lit up his green eyes the closer he got. He pointed at each number individually. “Seven. Seven. Seven.” Then clapped his hands together. “I can’t believe we found it.” 

The first man leaned against the machine. “It’s a casino, Dig. It’s not that hard to find.” 

“Don’t lean on that, Yun!” 

Yun adjusted, rolling up the sleeves that would not stay. “No need to freak. It’s a slot machine.” 

“It’s not any old slot machine,” Dig said, turning to admire it. Though the machine only stood a bit taller than the man, he appeared dwarfed by the sheer illumination. His eyes were wide and starving. “It’s the only one that has the three sevens.” 

Yun sighed. “Ok, I get it, we’ve been looking for the three sevens in I don’t know how many casinos. It's every job with you, run the rows looking for these numbers.” 

“And you found it!" Dig said. “I can’t thank you enough.” 

Yun regarded his partner. Unlike Dig, he tore his attention away from the slot machine. “It wasn’t anything special. You. You and your numbers.” 

“Don’t you get it?” Dig said. “It’s twenty one. The number of the casinos! Three sevens equals twenty one. A blackjack is twenty one. These numbers are not just numbers. There is a reason that they are sevens and not sixes.”

“Because three sixes would be the devil.” 

“Don’t start that with me, alright. But you have the point. Why, in all of the numbers and symbols of the known universe, do they provide us with the sevens. And most important, look,” he pointed to the sign, “the jackpot. The only three numbers in the world that together mean hedonistic reward!” 

Yun shook his head. “You can get your hedonism out in the back alley. Probably for a lot less.” 

“You don’t understand.” Dig looked at the stool, presented by the slot machine. 

“Doesn’t look like anyone has played this in awhile,” Yun said, looking from the stool to the machine to Dig. “You might be the first one to play since someone got the jackpot.” 

“I’m not going to play.” 

“What? After all this time, you’re not going to put in a dollar?” 

Dig tilted his head towards Yun, regarding him with a sincere and paling face. “I need you to play.”

“What? Why?” 

“I’m too nervous!” Dig looked back to the machine. “You were the one who spotted it. Maybe you are the twenty first person to see the slot machine? I just need you to pull the lever and put in the money, alright?” He pulled out his wallet from his back pocket. “Look, I’ve got the money. You don’t have to think about it that way. Besides, I’ll split the winnings with you.” 

Yun looked at the money Dig presented, his hand a slight tremble. A twenty and a single. “That’s all you brought to gamble?” 

“It’s a dollar a spin. Twenty one is all we need.” 

“I don’t think you get what it means to gamble.” 

“Of course I do! I do it every damn day when I get out of bed and take to the streets. Do you have any idea how many accidents happen out there? I mean look at all the people here. They willingly come to these places just to hope they might win. They are chasing the reward so they can ignore the odds that they catch cancer from all this cigarette smoke or trip and snap their neck or get stung by a bee and have an allergic reaction. Or how about the odds of an asteroid coming to end this planet all in a matter of seconds, without any of us being the wiser?”

“That doesn’t seem to be the point at all.” Yun shook his head and began stepping away from the machine. “Come on. If you’re not going to play it, we better get going. There is still one last job to do before we get paid.” 

“If you play this game, we may never have to do a job again.” 

Yun froze. He regarded the slot machine, his skin reflecting the gold allure of the lights. In that light, he appeared sober. Then his eyes narrowed and he regarded his associate. “Well, there is something you should know about me then. I don’t gamble.” 

Dig handed him the twenty one dollars, practically shoving it in Yun’s hands. When Yun looked up at Dig, his attention was on the slot machine. “This isn’t gambling.” 

With the money in his hands, Yun could only look at the machine, the red numbers that illustrated all he needed to accomplish. What a simple task. He sat in the barstool, feeling the release of pain that was coming from the bottom of his feet. He hadn’t realized a stool that looked this worn could sit so comfortably. 

He slid in the twenty dollar bill and the machine began to coalesce in patterns that gave dynamic life to its otherwise frozen allure. The hum began to grow louder from the machine, a sputtering within. He placed in the final dollar and the light show continued and grew louder. 

“Pull the lever.” 

Yun reached a tentative hand to the cold steel arm. The circular shape fit comfortably in his hand, melding with his flesh. He pulled. 

The three frames spun wildly with clanging that reverberated as chains being pulled deep within the slot machine. The symbols blurred into confusing identities that it was difficult to tell where one would land. All aside from the burning red sevens that would flash across their faces as they spun and spun. 

The left side slowed, settling into place the word “Bar” in white and framed in black. The center followed suit, the same symbol as the left. Then the right came to identical halt, the exact same frame as the previous two. 

Bar. Bar. Bar. 

The slot machine punched out a ticket that made Yun jump at the sound. He pulled the receipt, looking at the elegant words. His face furrowed. 

“What’s it say?” Dig asked. 

“Bar, bar, bar! You’ve won free drinks for the night! Present this ticket to the bartender to receive your voucher. Sincerely, Lady Fortune.” 

“Pull the lever again.” 

“Shit, come on Dig,” Yun said. “That’s the luckiest spin I have had my entire life. I don’t gamble because I never knew when I was up. Right now, we’re up! Let’s finish our job and get plastered tonight, huh?” 

“Twenty more spins, Yun. Twenty more spins. And don’t you dare cash out.” 

Yun quietted and lost his excitement. “I’ve never seen a prize like this. What are you expecting when you get the sevens?” 

“We’ll find out in twenty more pulls.” 

Yun readjusted himself. He grabbed the lever, far easier this time, and pulled, releasing the same internal mechanic sounds deep from the gallows.

And again. And again. For twenty pulls, welcoming the sensation that came with every clunk that released when the lever reached its apex point, signifying the new bet, the new spin, the new chance of winning everything. 

At multiple points, a series of three icons would appear and a new ticket would appear, most listing as vouchers.

Yun reached instinctively up for the lever, but stopped. “Is this even a real slot machine?” he looked over his shoulder at Dig. “This seems more promotional than what an actual slot would dispense.” 

Dig’s eyes were set on the jackpot sign. They lowered to the symbols in front of him. “Pull the lever.” 

Down he pulled and off the frames went spinning, quicker than it had appeared before, the lights cascading into a pattern unseen in the previous spins. Faster and faster the symbols rotate, turning into nothing but flashing lights in constant spinning motion. So long that they went that Yun looked over his shoulder at Dig, whose eyes were wide in the display of these spinning lights, completely memorized, jaw set. 

Then the first frame slowed, crawling and revealing every possible option that could be revealed again and again, taking its time as it creaked deep within before coming to an end.  

Seven. 

The number rocked within the frame as it locked. As it did so, the center frame began its deceleration. And its symbol set into place, a powerful break pounding as it stopped. 

Seven. 

Yun and Dig both turned their eyes an inch aside to focus on that last frame, where it slowed and came to a final, triumphant, end. 

Seven. 

Together, the two associates' eyes grew wider than possible, and their mouths opened to unbelieving smiles. 

The jackpot sign began to pulsate and a golden glow from within the machine manifested. And then it flashed across the casino as a beam spinning and spinning. 

“Looks like you’ve won the big one!” A woman came around the corner, adorned in feathers and scantily dressed, leaving most of her body bare. She placed her arm on the slot machine and caressed it. “What’s your name, handsome?” 

“Yun,” he said, shaking his head. “And this is Dig.” 

“Oh, he doesn’t matter here, Yun.” 

Yun blinked. He looked over his shoulder to see Dig smiling, frozen in the glow of the pulsating slot machine lights. A red hue struck into his eyes from the sevens that spread across the machine. 

“I am curious about your boss’ name though.” 

“My boss?” he returned his gaze. “Why? What is going on here?” 

“Come on, handsome. Let me in on a little secret and I will let you in on one as well.” 

“My bosses change time by time. I go by the client.”

“And who is your client tonight?” 

“Someone who probably wouldn’t be too happy that I am talking to you and gambling.” He attempted to move, to remove his hand from the slot lever, but looked at it disparagingly as he found he couldn’t let go.

“This client. You like killing for him?” 

“How do you know about that?” 

“Come on. Who is the client?” 

“Who are you?”

The woman rolled her eyes and stepped away from the slot machine. “I’ll tell you when you tell me your boss’ name.” 

“Harrington,” Yun said, surprised at the confession. 

“Well,” the woman smiled, one worth a jackpot itself, “Harrington is no longer your boss. Lady Fortune is your boss!” Out of her hands appeared sparklers that were lit and extinguished in a matter of seconds.

Yun blinked at the presentation. “Lady Fortune?”

“That’s right. And I’ve got all you could ever want. Something your clients wouldn't be able to match. The jackpot,” she said and presented the slot machine with her hands. “Can you guess what it is?” 

“Money?” 

“Handsome, but simple.” 

“What about Dig?” he asked. “We were supposed to split this prize. He’s the one who wanted to find this slot machine.” 

“He may have given you the money, but you are the one who pulled the lever. That is true gambling. That is how the real prizes are won. Those who don’t are not welcome to these rewards.” 

“He said it wasn’t gambling though. The twenty first spin would be the jackpot. Seven, seven, seven, just like he said.” 

Lady Fortune rolled her eyes again and walked around Yun, putting her silk fingers on his shoulders and across his back until she stood next to Dig. She gently reached with a single finger, and lowered his eyelids, as if blinking instead of seeing. “He won’t be able to trust what he saw ever again, but that’s the price to pay. Not for being cunning enough to find a loophole in the games, but for trying to win without playing. These three sevens presented on your twenty first spin were the same chance as any other spin.”

“You’re saying it was just another spin.” 

Lady fortune stepped back into view, closer than she had been before. “And you pulled it.” Her scent was intoxicating. 

“What did I win?” he asked, almost salivating. 

There, Lady Fortune kissed him.

He closed his eyes and was washed away by the embrace. He was left with the chill mint taste of her lips upon his as she vanished. 

“You now have my blessing. You are a paramour to Lady Fortune. And will you believe it, you are my twenty-first one.” She laughed, intoxicating. 

And the casino was alive again. The slot machines slamming and blaring their alarms and the people clamoring about, rushing to find the next way to win. 

“What the fuck?” Yun heard Dig say behind him. He was pushed up from the stool by his associate who looked dumbfounded. “I could have sworn I saw the jackpot! The lights looked to be on and everything.” 

“You didn't see anything?" Yun asked, looking to where Lady Fortune had been and then to the slot machine, seeing two sevens and a bar symbol on the right. 

"I blinked and it was a bar. It should’ve been seven!" 

Yun was speechless. He felt the cool pressure of Lady Fortune's lips against his own. He watched in silence as Dig sat himself in the stool and reached into his pocket to grab more money.

"You're playing more?"

"Something's wrong!" He was excited and his eyes wild, chasing what was presented in that machine. "This was supposed to be the winner."

"Come on, Dig," Yun said. "Harrington's waiting."

"Go ahead and I'll catch up to you," he said, inserting another twenty dollars. 

"Come on," he said and put his hand on his associate's shoulder.

Dig immediately shook off his touch. "I'll catch up with you, damn it!"

Yun was quiet for a few spins as he watched, feeling the tantalization from another random display of three corresponding symbols. He could see the desperation in Dig, to win, to have a chance of moving past this work they were placed under. 

He began to walk away, and when he looked back across the casino floor, he saw a dead and empty landscape, filled with darkness and cobwebs and dust. Seated in front of the slot machine was Dig, pulling that lever in the same constant intervals. 

His luck came in at that moment. For if Yun hadn't had Dig, he would be still in front of that slot machine after his jackpot win. He would be spinning and spinning, testing his luck more to see how much he could win. 

But with luck, Dig pushed him out of the way. He left him free to wander. And instead of following the path that his client Harrington paved for him, he turned, and followed the calling of his new boss, wandering and finding happiness.

January 10, 2023 23:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Wendy Kaminski
16:35 Jan 16, 2023

Brilliant, Matthew! What a great story, start to finish. Your gift for plot is so clear in this. Some good stuff of note: - Starting sentence just out of the gate really drew my attention; good opening! - "In an instant, the casino clicked to life around this slot machine, no powering up. People were bustling..." added the next fantastic element of mystery and a dreamlike layer onto the story - “You can get your hedonism out in the back alley. Probably for a lot less.” haha Great line! Nice dry humor. :) - The whole paragraph about how we g...

Reply

Matthew Thomas
15:14 Jan 17, 2023

Thank you very much for your feedback, I really appreciate it!!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:15 Jan 17, 2023

It was my pleasure to read it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.