My husband's hidden Sickness

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write about a family attempting to hide their secrets from someone new.... view prompt

2 comments

Black Drama Inspirational

Walking down the aisle shining like the sun, all eyes in the temple were on Me as I entered in the Temple wearing a golden wedding dress, obviously, every lady present wished and desired to be in my place, the starring in their eyes said it all.

 Just as the say goes, "every wedding day is a one big precious day to every Lady," for it marks a new beginning of a life journey either filled with happiness or sorry, but it is a path with no exit till death takes away the other person.

Having been in a relationship with Christopher for two years and six months , I was head over hills for him and I was fully confident that I knew him and and the thought of one day marrying him was mind blowing in my small world of love. The way his mother and sisters showed so much love towards me was breathe taking. 

Despite how loving Christopher was to me and my family, my mother had her doubts over our relationship that she would always say, " Christine my child, the way Christopher and his family showers love and wealthy on you, it is good, but you need to be more careful." My mother would just worry about anything in everything so I never took her words seriously.

As we held hands at the alter on our wedding day, there was no doubt that our couple was a match made in heaven. The smiles on our faces was so amazing, there was no doubt that we were going to live a life full of peace and joy.

After the event ended, I had a farewell moment with my mother and my little brother, we cried and kissed each other goodbye, for a moment it felt as though I had lose them for ever, and the inner joy was taken away from me, and without realizing, I cried out to my mother,

"Please Mother don't leave me alone!"

Holding me tightly she said,

"Oh my baby girl, you are not alone, you have now grown, you need to be strong to take care of your house, and your new family, God is with you my child. Go now, see your husband is waiting for you!"

Christopher came and took me to the car, then we left for his family house. His mother and sisters welcomed me with so much love.

What a loving husband Christopher was in our first two months of our marriage, he would come home early after work, his mother would treat me like her own child not as her daughter in-law, I was great full to have such a loving family, my husband was an Angel.

On one fateful afternoon in the third month of our marriage, I walked in the house unexpectedly, unexpected because I was supposed to be on a plane going to Paris to attend a one week business conference representing my husband who was supposed to be in England that very day opening a new company, unfortunately, I had missed my flight, so I had to go back home, and upon reaching, I found my husband having a deep disturbing conversation with his mother and sister, by their reaction towards my unexpected return, I could strongly feel that their conversation was unusual one because they all looked disturbed at my arrival.

With rage in his voice my husband raised his voice and asked, "Why are you here?"

And before I could finish my sentence saying, "Babe I am sorry ,I missed my..."

"Shut up! You are useless, just a simple responsibility, and you have failed, get out of my side!"

My eyes filled with tears, I turned to his mother saying, "Mother please calm him down!"

Raising her hand to slap me, she said, " Don't you dare call me mother or I will slap the foolishness out of you, leave this place right this moment!"

I went running upstairs in our room,locked the door and cried myself out, I knew I made a mistake, but the reaction of my husband and his mother towards me had hurt my feelings so badly.

I never left the room that day, and no one came to check on me, and my husband went out in the evening, and he never came back home that night.

Early morning the next day, I went out of the room,I found my mother in-law in the dining room having breakfast, I was willing to forget what happend and try to fix things, but when i greeted her, she looked at me and threw a piece of bread in her hand at my face and walked out on me.

"Was the meeting I missed that important that my home is breaking because of it?" I wondered.

Late evening, my husband walked in smiling, I had almost felt at eazy thinking he got over what had happened, but upon seeing me, his face changed again, I feared to say a word to him, I did not want to upset him.

A house that felt at home suddenly became hell for me to live in, I quietly walked out from his presence lest I provoked him, just as I was about to go upstairs, I heard a sound of something heavy falling behind me, as I turned to see, there was my husband Lying on the floor.

"Babe!" I screamed, my mother in-law and sister in-law came in quickly, as I was about to touch him, "Don't touch him!" Said My mother in-law while coming from behind, "leave us alone, go in your room."

"No mother, Christopher is my husband, you do not expect me to walk away as if all is well." Looking all disturbed and afraid, she looked at me and said, " Stop talking too much and call the doctor, can't you see my son is dying, if we delay taking him to the hospital this disease will kill him!" "Disease, what disease mother?" She just kept quiet.

His sister Praise had called for an ambulance and Christopher's personal doctor, after 15 minutes the doctor came in with an ambulance, looking at his condition, the doctor said, "I told you to make a final decision yesterday, and last night when he came to sleep at my place, I told him how important it was for him to talk to his wife concerning his condition, but he kept on insisting that he did not want to hurt her with the news of his iiness, fortunately, this morning he said he will open up to her, he has to undergo the operation today, otherwise we might lose him."

Hearing those words from his doctor, and seeing him lying lifeless on the floor, I did not know what to say, I was so shocked. We went at the hospital, he was taken into intensive care unity, the doctors said his heart was weak, an operation could not be possible, all was left was to wait for a miracle.

Only one person was allowed to see him, my mother in-law told me to go in, she said, "we had to put up that act to avoid you knowing what was happening to him, his cold reactions towards you was to hid the illness from you, he wanted you to go away so that he can undergo the operation, please my child go in and see him, perhaps he might gather up some strength and fight this disease."

I walked in, sat beside him, I held his hand, and for the first time in a long time, I closed my eyes and prayed, " Lord I am sorry it took me this long to call on you, but please Lord save my husband, you are my only hope!"

Before I could say Amen, A weak voice of my husband said it for me, "Amen!" I shouted, "He is awake!"








October 19, 2020 13:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Chris Wagner
15:26 Oct 29, 2020

First of all, good job at squishing a mystery together below 3000 words. I tried it myself and it's hard to not make things too obvious, and really hard to stick in descriptions without going over. My only real complaint is writing mechanics. You misspelled words, don't rely on autocorrect. "Get out of my sight," for example. Also watch punctuation and spacing. Other than that, I think you did a solid job.

Reply

Sarah Chimombo
18:41 Oct 29, 2020

Wow this means a lot, I am greatfull, I will work on it. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.