1 comment

Suspense Fiction Teens & Young Adult

The light tapping from the water in the cracked ceiling didn’t  bother Jade anymore.  Keith broke it about a month ago and no one had even mentioned to fixed it. It now just faded into the blend of background noises from the city street. Her room was pitch black with the only light shining in her room from her computer.  She knew if Angelina walked in right now she would never hear the end of it.                                                                                                               “That light hurts your eyes.” “God its so dark in here, why don’t you turn on the light? You’re gonna damage your eyes you know.” She looked at her computer clock. 11:30pm. She was supposed to leave at 8pm, Luckily, she didn’t have any plans with anyone else  for the rest of the night. 

She leaned against her rolling chair and let out a long winded sigh. The squeak from the old chair made Jade cringe. She should really get a new one. She could feel each individual wrinkle and tear piercing into her back no matter how she sat in the chair. She ran a hand through her hair, pulling at the small tangles that had accumulated during the day. Working two jobs was difficult by itself, but keeping one of them a secret to everyone but a couple of your friends felt like the end of Jade.

She leaned forward to turn her brightness down when she heard a very soft knock. Taylor.

“Yes, Taylor?” She lifted her head to already see the door open. Taylor’s phone light hitting the bottom of her face. 

“I didn’t know if you we- how did you know it was me?” Jade could tell she turned her head.

”Everyone has a different knock. Plus it was either you or Noah, and we all know he just barges in.” Taylor nodded and turned on her phone flashlight. She move her eyes away from her computer allowing her eyes to adjust to the darkness.

“Anyways I was just going to put the papers on your desk for you to see in the morning but since you're already here.” She walked closer and handed the papers to Jade.  She opened her mouth to thank her when she heard three loud bangs on her door. Angelina.

Oh no, here we go. She thought.

“Does it always have to be so dark in here?” A voice dragged those words. Jade looked at Taylor, she presented a small smile signaling to Taylor, she was right. 

“You’re gonna hurt your eyes you know?” Angelina continued. Jade whispered in unison with Angelina and rolled her eyes. Jade laughed.

“This is no laughing matter J.” She heard the flick of the light switch. Boom! It hit her like she was staring into the sun.

“Angie how could you?! I’m burning! Too much light. You’re killing me.” Jade squinted and held a hand over her eyes. She waved her other arm frantically

Taylor let out a laugh which broke Jades performances. They burst out into laughter, Taylor held onto her stomach. Angelina rolled her eyes and stomped her foot in frustration.

Jade still laughing let out a sigh. “We will be fine Angie don’t worry.” She held her hands to her eyes, presenting them. “Our beautiful eyes will be ok.” 

“Well when you need glasses in a month, don't come crying to me.” Taylor put her hands on her hips and over agreed. Angelina again, rolled her eyes. 

Jade pulled out one of the papers she just received from Taylor and examined it. It was just about another colleague they had. Jade scratched her head, searching  her memory where she agree to file the employee review. She placed the paper back onto her desk and stood up to stretch, she felt her arm make a pop. 

“What was that?" Angelina asked. Jade looked down and noticed a small water droplet  on her skin.  She wiped it off quickly and rubbed her cheek. I see the crack has traveled to my desk. 

"It's nothing, my arm just popped," Jade sighed. Angelina reached over and squeezed her hand. Jade gave a slight smile as she released her grip.

"Alright then, what are you doing here anyway?" Angelina asked. "Just getting ready for the rest of my long night ahead?"

Jade examined the scars on her hand that were previous wrapped with tape. She got rid of them to not look suspicious. memories raced through her mind as remember the feeling of blood on her hands. just the thought of scrapping her hand on the new placed wood floor made her hand ache.

"Well I just wanted to make sure you were doing well since you're back, even if it is only for the day."

Jade looked at her then at the floor. Angelina's face looked down as if wondering what was going to come next.

"But, I'm sort of wondering why you're back at all."

"Oh, that."

Jade looked at the door to make sure no one else walked in.

"Well it is still technically an ongoing investigation and I don't like to close any cases too early."

"But isn't it dangerous?" Taylor  asked.

“I mean it can be,” she stood up. “But look who you’re looking at, don’t you trust me.” She did a small spin.

“Yeah, trust you fight people but cant trust you enough to throw away your trash.” Taylor smirked.

“That was one time Tay!” Jade exclaimed and pointed at her.

Ignoring Taylor’s trash comment, she was only partly correct. She fought people but it’s only because she has to be protecting things that are

She felt like a hero sometimes, but she knew she wasn’t. Just doing job she was hired to do.

This time was stopping people known as the “City Masks” trying to steal gold jewels. 

Not something you hear every day. Well maybe for Angelina or Taylor. People kept trying to take jewels left and right. Jade thought that was dumb. They would get caught one way or another.

“Another thief?” Taylor walked back to the door where Angelina was standing  and leaned against it. 

Jade let her head hang low and sighed then shot her direction to the girls

“Yeah. They could try to be original but nope. Same old same old.” She paused. Her hands felt clammy. She ran on through her hair.  ‘It's a good thing though, I know how to fight and know where everything is.”

“Well you’re the best superhero I know. I know you’ll kick them to the curb.” Taylor beamed. 

“Yeah, I could never do what you do. You’re a secret legend, don’t forget that!” Angelina joined in.

Jade wanted to let the compliments just hang in the air, just to let time stop. Stop for just a minute. But she couldn’t help but grinned. “Thanks guys.” She sighed and stood up. “Now get out of here i need to leave any minute.” she spoke softly so it didn’t sound bossy. 

The two girls smiled and said their goodbyes back to Jade. and there Jade was in silence again.

Her ceiling lights now shined like the sun. Her computer screen now black. Must have turned off a few minutes ago the wrinkles from her aging chair no longer poking her.

She spun on her held and lean over, grabbed her new clothes and swiftly changed. Grabbed one of her plethora of hair ties scattered around on her desk and tripled wrapped her hair into a ponytail. Unplugged her phone, texted her boss that she was about to leave to the shop she was assigned. Lastly put on her favorite heels.

Jade crept out of her office into the shop. Her new clothes clung to her comfortably as she walked behind building after building.. She never knew the name and never bothered to look it up when it was bright out. She knew if she did, she would be more likely to be there more often and “blow her cover.”

The light drizzle of rain tapped on building tops making a soft melody. Rare times where the city was quite, all the cars were parked and tucked in for the night. House lights were going out one by one. Streetlights shined and flicked like empty spotlights eager to be claimed. 

She climbed up the building into the unlocked window she always had. She always wonder why this particle gem was always sought after? But she guess that was a story for a different day.

There they were. Again trying to take the golden gems. She’s has seen much better thieves. They were using phone screens, not phone flashlights  to light the room. 

“You guys should not speak so loud! Especially at night when you’re trying to speak.” She let her voice echo as the City Mask turned around dumb founded.

“Okay, who said that?” A deep cracked voiced spoke.

“Oh someone is trying to sound intimidating?” Jade internal rolled her eyes when she spoke.

“Don’t you know you'll hurt your eyes with just that phone screen?” She left a mental note in the back of her mind to thank Angelina. She gracefully jumped from the window to the ground. Jumping two floors was so much more easier than 5. Yikes better not think of that now. She let out a laugh. 

She heard an inhale behind her, She spun on toes and high kicked into someone's chin. Her eyes were finally adjusting to the indoor lighting. She looked down at one of the City Mask. she saw an outline of a face. She felt arms around her. 

“You’re named the City Mask, yet you cant even wear masks?” she smashed her heal down onto a shoe and heard a wince. She felt another hand now tugging on her arm. She put all her weight on her left foot and spun around

“Like you know there's different kinds of masks. Ski mask, medical. Did you not know that?” She  kneed someone in the stomach. 

She looked down to see all three knocked out. Looked around to see the gems not even hands reach yet. It was safe. That was a fast mission.

She pulled out her phone to let her boss know that the thieves were knocked out and can be arrested now. She climbed back out through the window and continued to walk down the sidewalk to her house, humming to the light raindrops.

September 04, 2021 03:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Stevie B
10:55 Sep 09, 2021

Olivia, I enjoyed reading this. Job well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.