2 comments

Drama Fiction Contemporary

It was a Sunday morning. The doorbell rang and Shobha answered. There was a middle-aged lady with greying hair standing outside. The lady said “I’m Dr.Rita. You must be Shobha.”

Shobha said “Yes. Please come in doctor. I’ve also heard of you – the doyen of social workers. We’re honoured to receive such an important visitor in our house.”

Rita entered and seated herself on a sofa. Shobha said “My parents have just gone out to buy some essentials for the household. They don’t step outside these days due to the covid. They should be back shortly.”

“I’ve come to talk to you. My volunteers find the people whom I should visit.” She picked out a book from her bag and said “You’re 22 and have quit the post of a librarian.”

“Right. I didn’t quit the job. I worked in a temporary vacancy for 6 months. Now I’m free.”

“What’re your plans now?”

Shobha was silent when Rita prompted saying “I suppose you’re uncertain about what you would do.”

Shobha said “I’m a graduate in computer science. I’ve job offers from different places but I don’t want to leave my parents here and live elsewhere. Both of them are working and I can live without a job. May be I’ll get a job offer soon.”

“I was told your dad is a chartered accountant and your mom is a lawyer.”

“That’s right.”

“Do you have any hobbies?”

Shobha laughed and said “I love cookery and try to learn making new dishes. I suppose that won’t be considered a hobby.”

“It’s a hobby. Anything which interests you and prompts you to pursue it is a hobby. Have you heard of community service?”

“Yes but I’m not clear what it is.”

“It is working to help people in different ways. It’s also a hobby as it rids you of boredom, helps you to recharge. It is a break from the daily grind. It is self-fulfilling and makes you use your charm to aid people. It would have its own reward though you can’t expect it immediately. I started with getting people become blood donors. Taught them how and when it could be done and why. I did other work to help people such as by raising their consciousness about cleanliness and so on. Now I’m recognised as a leading social worker.” She paused and said “The only thing is the work doesn’t pay. It’s a voluntary effort. People who don’t like moving with others or who are entirely self-centred don’t fit in. Someone who has known you has anonymously said you were happy moving with friends and are helpful to them. I thought I would visit you and recruit you if possible to work for community welfare. Considering the importance of getting the right people I go myself knocking on doors without any care about my importance. Think it over and give me your answer when you’re ready. Here, keep my card. I’ll be available at this number between 8AM and noon. Do let me know even if you don’t want to be in my team. Bye for now.”

Shobha saw Rita off and later discussed with her parents. Her mother said “Don’t fool around with this kind of riffraff. Stick to computers.” Her father said “Let Shobha decide. You’ve been thinking more about getting her married. Let her get some worldly experience. This opportunity would be better than being confined to computer solutions.” Shobha liked the approach of Rita and told her the next morning that she would do community service.

Rita said “Welcome! I’ll see that you do work near your home. There’s an immediate demand for someone to help patients undergoing cataract surgery in the government eye hospital across the road from your place. You could go and meet its head Dr.Isaac tomorrow morning at 8. I’ll speak to him. I’m sure you’ll be able to do well in the work assigned.”

Shobha was not a stunning good looker but she was attractive in a quiet way. It was her smile and friendly approach which made people take to her. Dressed in a simple sari she was at Isaac’s office and was immediately shown to his room. Isaac was a tall, bald man. He said “Shobha sit down. Dr.Rita told me about you. I’m happy to welcome you into this hospital.” He asked his staff to get Dr.Mohan and in the meantime asked Shobha about her background. Mohan now came and Isaac said “This is Dr.Mohan one of our capable eye surgeons. We’ve started doing free eye surgery for cataract.”

Shobha studied Mohan. He was not very tall but had an athletic build. He was fair and had a lot of hair on his head which looked carefully combed. He looked friendly and shook hands with Shobha. Coffee and biscuits were now served. Isaac asked Mohan about patients’ response to free surgery. Mohan said “Doctor, operations can be free but the lens costs are high. Most of the patients are unlettered with no basic medical knowledge. They’ve a fear they would go blind after the operation. A lot of counselling has to be provided.”

Isaac said “Shobha will do it. I think you should take her with you and explain what you do to patients, the medications etc etc.. Rita was sure Shobha would fit in very nicely.”

Mohan took her along with him. In a few days she had watched and understood about cataract, the surgical procedure, the medications and the counselling which was needed. In a couple of weeks she felt confident about counselling in the vernacular also. She helped patients to fill up various forms and gave advice like a friend which was greatly appreciated by patients. In 2 months she had become very popular. Rita spoke to Shobha and said “I was very happy about your work. Funds are limited. Efforts are needed to approach donors. Could you try?”

”Sure I will. There’re a few prosperous enterprises in my neighbourhood. However the computer firm Happywhiz could give a lot.”

“You’re mistaken. I had myself approached Dr.Krish the head of Happywhiz but he said he wasn’t making enough to donate to charitable causes. Try elsewhere.”

Mohan was smitten with Shobha and he had hinted that he was an eligible bachelor for her hand but Shobha hadn’t favourably responded. She somehow felt that Happywhiz was a cash cow. She called Dr.Krish and was surprised when he himself answered the phone. Shobha said “I’m qualified in computer science but I’m approaching you for a donation. I know you would be short of time and so will make my appeal very brief.”

After having heard her he said “I’ll think it over. Today is the 14th. Contact me on the 16th at 2 PM. Make it a conference call.”

On the 16th Shobha called Krish. She saw he was a handsome man whose hairline had begun to recede. He was fair with a clean shaven face and looked younger than the 30 years which the WHOSWHO had posted. After study in the USA he had come back and started Happywhiz which was doing well in business. He also studied her and when he said he could offer her a job she said “I’m not looking for a job right now.” She continued and told him about the social work she was doing. Finally he said “Alright Shobha as a start I’ll donate to bear the total cost of operations of 15 persons a month for the next 12 months          .”

Shobha was overwhelmed and thanked him profusely. She added “My application number 222 for a job is with you but I’ve changed my mind.”

Rita congratulated Shobha at her success in getting a donation from Krish. To Shobha’s surprise Krish called her on Saturday and invited her to lunch at a hotel on Sunday. She agreed in view of his donation. He said “I can pick you up.”

She said “No need. We’ve 2 cars and I can drive down.”

At the hotel he said “Shobha I studied your application no.222. Let’s be friends.” The romance started and news spread about Krish and Shobha. The person who was greatly disappointed was Mohan. That day while counselling an old man, she saw the post-operative medicine Mohan had given him to use. By now she knew all the medicines used to treat cataract. She checked the medicine given to the old man on google and found it would destroy sight. She reported the matter to Isaac. A substitute medicine was given to the old man and Isaac immediately launched an inquiry. Mohan was charged with carelessness and he at once resigned. Actually he had wanted to blame Shobha after the user- an illiterate -had lost his sight.

When Rita got to know about the incident she called Shobha and praised her enterprise in checking medicines. A few weeks later Shobha told Rita that she would be marrying Krish. Rita said “Congratulations. It’s now 8 months since I met you. You have made a name for yourself. You’ll be nominated by our party in the next election instead of me as I’m aging and want to retire. I know you’ll win.” Shobha was very happy.

END

January 25, 2021 13:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Lynn Smith
23:36 Feb 03, 2021

🙌

Reply

12:43 Feb 04, 2021

Many thanks. Regards.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.