0 comments

Drama Creative Nonfiction

“No, I'm absolutely not going, and that's final!” Renee was aggravated with Dawn. She just wouldn't let it go.

“Oh, come on, Renee. I'm going, and you know I don't know that many people from your class. Please!!!”

“For Christ's sake, you'll know your husband. Isn't that good enough for you?” Renee gave her a look that would have normally shut the conversation down.

Dawn sighed, “You know Allen, Renee. He'll get together with his buddies, they'll start talking about their glory days of high school football, and I might as well not be there when that happens.”

Renee rolled her eyes. That truly wasn't her problem. However, Dawn was her best friend, and she didn't like the thought of leaving her hanging. Despite the fact she had no desire to attend a high school reunion, Dawn could see Renee starting to waver.

“Please, Renee, for me?” Dawn went in for the kill.

“It's insane, Dawn. I didn't even want to be there, why would I want to go to a reunion? I still get mad when I think about my parents moving me to a school halfway across the state just before my senior year.” Renee truly did still harbor feelings of resentment over that fact. “Then you know Gene and I are having problems, and this is likely to cause even more. He's not going to want to come with me, and I sure don't want to be a third wheel with y'all.”

“You are never a third wheel, and you know, you'll freak some people out. Look at you! You don't look like you've been out of school for a day, let alone ten years. And with the weight you lost? Damn, girl, it'll get under the skin of all the right people. You know how superficial all those jerks are,” Dawn was giving some of the positive reasons for Renee to go to the reunion.

Renee sighed. Dawn was right, even though Renee wasn't a vain person, she knew she looked good. Mark, the only person besides Allen that she ever saw from her class, had started coming in the store she managed. He had shown his appreciation, in words only, about how good she looked. It was a boost to her confidence, but it was not helpful to the issues she was having with her husband. He apparently didn't appreciate anyone showing any attention to Renee, no matter how innocent that attention truly was. In addition to not looking like she had aged, Renee had also dropped an almost alarming amount of weight, thanks to her marital problems. While she had never been fat, she had been kind of chubby in school. Now, wearing a size 3, she looked like those cheerleaders, who had always been such snots.

Against her better judgment, Renee sighed and said, “Okay, Okay. I'll come. But really, what school does reunions over Memorial Day? Any normal school does reunions on Homecoming during football season. This school has been screwed up from the get-go.”

Dawn smiled, knowing she had gotten her way, “No one has ever accused this town of being normal, that's for sure!”

They talked for a little longer, setting plans for the reunion.

As Renee had feared, just bringing up the reunion cause a huge fight between her and Gene. He flat refused to go, and told her she wasn't going, either. The fight continued, off and on, right up to the night of the reunion.

Renee had taken special care with her appearance. Taking advantage of her weight loss, she had went to the store and bought a new pair of Rockies, Ropers, and a western shirt that showed off her ample cleavage. The jeans made her butt look good, she thought, taking a sideways look into the mirror. Renee's makeup was flawless, highlighting her good points. She didn't overdo it, after all, she didn't want to look like a hussy. Green tinted contacts finished out the look, making her normally hazel eyes look like a pair of emeralds.

When Renee walked into the living room, Gene's eyes nearly bugged out of his head. “Where the hell do you think you're going?” he spat out.

“I told you a week ago about the reunion. You know, the one you refuse to attend with me? I also told you I was going, whether you came or not.” There was steely determination in her voice. “By the way, I'm taking your truck, since you didn't bother to fix my car.” He had been saying for a week he would work on her car, but hadn't bothered to follow through.

Gene turned red, “You will do no...”

Renee had had enough, and cut him off, “I will, and you can't stop me. That truck is in my name, too, so I have every right. If you decide to maybe, I don't know, act like a husband, let me know. I'll come back and get you.”

Before leaving the house, Renee grabbed the phone and called Dawn. “Hey girl,” she said when Dawn answered.

“Oh my God, you are not backing out, are you?” Dawn replied.

“No. I promise, I'm not,” Renee said, shooting a hard look at Gene. “I am, however, running a little late. So instead of coming to your house, I'll just meet you at the reunion, okay?”

Dawn's relief was evident, “Yes, that's fine. I'll see you soon.”

The drive took Renee took about 30 minutes. On the ride, numerous thoughts ran through her head, but the overriding thought was what a colossal mistake this she was about to make. She almost turned around several times, and only the promise she had made to Dawn kept her from actually doing so.

All too soon, the drive was over, and after a few turns, Renee found herself at the reunion location. Finding a parking spot not too far from the building, she made a quick inspection of herself in the rear view mirror, before shutting off the truck. Dread slowed her pace as she approached the small crowd of people standing outside.

Seeing Allen, she walked up to him, “Hey, Allen, where's Dawn?”

Allen saw her, and exclaimed, “Damn, girl! You're looking good!” He gave her a hug.

Renee returned the hug, replying, “Thanks, Buddy.” She truly was fond of Allen, one of the few friends she had made her senior year, but it was Dawn she was closest to. When she met Dawn before she and Allen got married, it was as if they had known each other all their lives.

Allen finally answered her question, “She's out back, getting us some beer.”

About that time, Jay walked up. Dawn figured her conversation with Allen was now over, and the endless talk about the glory days was about to start. Jay, however, directed his first words to her, “Hey there. I'm Jay. You must be Allen's wife.”

Renee and Allen both laughed, but Allen was the one to answer, “No, Dawn's getting us some beer. She should be back soon.”

“Then who are you? Who are you married to?” Jay looked truly puzzled.

“I'm not married to anyone from this class,” Renee clarified, slightly miffed. She had always thought Jay was cute, but the problem was, so had he.

“Then why are you here?” He probably didn't mean to sound rude, but it was sure coming out that way, and Renee didn't like it.

“Well, darlin',” she drawled. “As it so happens, I graduated with you.”

Jay looked at Allen, who was, thankfully, playing along and said nothing. Jay finally said,, “No, I don't think you did, I certainly don't recognize you. Who are you?”

“Jay,” at the sound of his name, he truly looked mystified. “If you don't recognize me, I guess I just wasn't that important.”

“Oh, come on, give,” Jay sounded extremely interested now. “Allen, who is this?”

Allen smiled and simply said, “It's up to her to tell you who she is.”

Just then, Dawn walked up. Before she could say anything, Allen told her, “She made it, and Jay doesn't recognize her. Isn't that funny?”

Dawn immediately played along, “Well, his loss!” she laughed.

The men did turn to football talk, so Renee and Dawn moved off and had their own conversation.

“Can you believe Jay? Not recognizing me? Hell, we had 2 or 3 classes together.” Renee now was feeling down. Had she been that invisible her senior year?

“To be fair, have you looked at yourself tonight?” Dawn asked. “You're dressed to the nines, nice Rockies by the way, and you're wearing makeup. That isn't something you do all that often.”

“True,” Renee mused. Just then, she noticed another man joining Allen and Jay. It was Logan, another big fish in the little pond that had been their school. She noticed that Jay motioned toward her, and Logan was looking hard. Renee looked at Dawn, and gave an ornery smile. “I think it's time to have some fun.”

“That's the spirit,” Dawn laughed, as they moved closer to the men.

“Hey, Logan, it's good to see you,” Renee said.

Logan replied, “I know that voice. Jay said he doesn't recognize you, and honestly, neither do I. What's your name?”

Renee merely smiled. She was content to let the ruse continue all night.

Unfortunately, her plans were dashed when Mark walked up. “Damn, you're looking good tonight, Renee,” he said in appreciation.

Renee?” Jay said in astonishment, as Logan's eyes grew big. Dawn and Allen merely laughed.

“Yes, Jay, I'm Renee.”

“Wow. I don't know what to say!” Jay exclaimed.

Renee replied drily, “Why don't you just stop before you get too much further behind? Dawn,” she turned her back on Jay, “I'm going to go mingle for a while. Do you want to come?”

“No,” Dawn said thoughtfully. “I think I'll hang out here for a bit.” Renee shot her a quizzical look. After all, Dawn had said she didn't want to hang around the football talk. Renee shrugged her shoulders and walked off.

“Renee,” Mark called her name after she had walked off a few paces.

“Yes, Mark?” Renee paused and turned.

“Would you like to go get a beer with me?” he asked, walking up to her.

Renee could feel the eyes of the others on them. Even though she had felt initial stirrings of attraction for Mark, she knew she couldn't act upon them. She was, after all, a married woman, even if that marriage wasn't so happy right now. Softly, so no one else could hear, she said, “No, but thank you. I just don't think that would be a good idea.”

Just as softly, Mark replied, “I know you're married. I also know you're not happy. I won't do anything to cause problems, but I want to spend some time with you.”

Gently, Renee reached up, placed her hand on the side of Mark's face, and sighed, “If only. If only the circumstances were different. I just can't because they're not. Goodbye, Mark.”

His face fell, and she felt a small, secret part of her heart break. She had, back in school, crushed on Mark. In any other world, she would have jumped on the opportunity. But it wasn't another world, and she couldn't. She watched his head drop down, and he walked toward the back of the building where the bar was located.

Taking a deep breath, Renee walked up the stairs to the open doorway. She looked at the crowd, and honestly, she had her own problems recognizing most of the people. She did notice that several people were whispering, and she even saw one person point at her. Raising her head to show a pride she didn't necessarily feel, she made her way to the table loaded with finger foods.

As Renee picked a few choice morsels, a very heavy, short blond woman walked up to her. “Hey Renee, I didn't realize who you were until Jay told me.”

Renee looked at the blond, and while she looked familiar, she couldn't place her name. “I'm sorry, I don't believe I remember you.”

The blond's eyes narrowed, “You're kidding me, right? I'm Cathy.”

No wonder she looks bent out of shape, Renee thought, as recognition came. Cathy had been a cheerleader, and was exceptionally popular. They had barely spoken a handful of words their senior year, as Renee didn't care for Cathy's attitude, nor her overinflated sense of self. “I'm sorry, Cathy. Of course I know who you are.”

Slightly appeased, Cathy said, “You look fantastic! I couldn't believe it was really you. I guess you've noticed I've put on some weight. I had a baby 3 years ago, and I just can't seem to get rid of the baby fat.” Cathy looked Renee up and down, “I guess you've not had any kids?”

“Actually, I have 3,” Renee said. “The baby is barely a year old.” She felt a strange sense of satisfaction when Cathy's face turned red and angry. “Oh, look, there's Tom. If you'll excuse me, I'd like to go say hello to him.”

For the next hour, Renee worked the crowd. She spent time talking to some people she would have just as soon not spoken to, and enjoying chats with those with whom she had fond memories. All in all, it was exhausting, and all she wanted to do was go home. She finally saw Dawn, and with relief, walked up to her.

“Dawn, I think I'm going to call it a night,” she said.

Dawn started to argue, but then saw the sheer exhaustion that was showing on Renee's face. “I understand,” she said, surprising Renee that she agreed so quickly. “Be careful going home?”

“I will,” Renee answered. She gave Dawn a hug, and walked to her truck.

The drive home again gave her time to think. The reunion had gone better than she had dared hope. While she didn't normally enjoy making people feel small, Renee had felt a sense of victory. Those that had treated her poorly her senior year honestly seemed like they regretted their treatment of her. She had outshone those that had thought they were prettier, or better, than everyone else in their class. Things had come full circle, and Renee had came out on top. She had her closure, and knew this would be the first, and last, reunion for that class she would ever attend. Now, she was driving toward her future. She would either break, or make, her marriage. Things were going to change, and now she had the confidence to make it happen. Optimism brightened her face, and she eagerly awaited the outcome.  

September 25, 2020 18:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.