0 comments

General

“Wake up! Wake up Aurico, it’s time for work!” said Virginica. My friend Virginica is way bigger than I am and pushed me right off the Zinnia. I slipped off the petal and brushed up fast, or else I would’ve hit the dirt. The sun was just peaking over the Korean cucumbers, and there was a lot to be done. I started pollinating the Zinnia beds and ran into some pesky aphids, so I left a note at the ladybugs place that there needs to be a clean up at raised garden bed #4. Everyone else started coming out from their hives, I know the honeybees don’t go for the tube-shaped flowers since their shape isn’t conducive for pollinating, so the big bumble bees are able to get the job done. It’s always a hassle these days since it’s prime time in the summertime, everyone is always busy and trying to get things done before Autumn, whereas I on the other hand, like to enjoy the day. I bumped into a few carpenter bees, those guys are massive, one almost picked a fight with me over a bunch of wisterias. I moseyed out of the way with that carpenter and started tending to the sunflowers. I got done pollinating the ‘baby bear’ sunflowers and decided to take a rest. There are so many different types of sunflowers, the problem is whenever I decide to just take a rest and lay on one of them, another bee has to get in my way and pollinate it when I’ve already finished the job. It was almost noon and the butterflies started coming out, they’re really nice, sometimes can be a bit brash. They know everything that goes around in the garden, always gossiping and going to everyone talking dirt. I mean I can’t complain since they get the work done, but at least we bees are sweet and create honey! I decided to skip my little rest and buzzed off to the veggie patch and worked on cleaning up some Korean squash, the sugar snap peas were growing out of control, tangling all up with the other vegetables. I tried to untangle all of the vines since they pose as a flying hazard for us pollinators, though it makes a great obstacle course for jumping spiders. I actually ran into a Phiduppus audax that caught a fly, I waved with my antennae and he waved back, but not the fly. I managed to untangle a path so pollinators could get through to the cucumber flowers, but there was too much to be done for one bee. I went back to the Zinnias and found all the bees were taking a break, jeez, where was my memo! I woke them up and they told me to buzz off, I told them that there was work to be done at the vegetable patch. I guess it’s not my fault if they fly into some vines, I warned them. I tried waking up Virginica again and surprisingly she woke up, I knew she would not want to untangle the vines so I told her we could check out the other garden patch next door. We started pollinating some lavenders, she tossed me a piece of pollen and we ended up playing catch for a while, I accidentally missed the pollen and it knocked a little caterpillar off a pepper plant, whoops, so much for getting work done. I realized I haven’t drunk anything all morning and now afternoon, Virginica told me someone made a refresher for us and so we flew about 5 miles to where this refresher was. There was this little bowl with clear marbles, I took a sip of the clear what I thought was water, and it was the sweetest water ever! My fatigue and laziness disappeared, and we started bouncing off the leaves. I think we pollinated an entire backyard, maybe I’m over exaggerating, but I knew we probably did almost half of what the guys back at our garden were working on, if they were even working. We flew back 5 miles to our garden and started going extreme pollinator mode and ended up finishing three raised garden beds. It was almost sunset, and the dragonflies started coming out, thank God for them, or else those mosquitoes would annoyingly buzz all evening long. It was time to wrap things up and head back to the hive, but I wanted to keep working on some of the flowers and hang out with the lady bugs, I wonder if they ever got my memo. I never clock in just because I think it’s more of play time than work time, I just love being outside and being able to work and help the Earth. I’ve always wondered what other gardens outside our community are like, I heard rumors of this dome looking building that has tropical orchids and cactus's, I never seen one before but I know I’d love to get my hands on one of those. Maybe one day I’ll be able to go for a visit, but for now, there is still a lot of work to be done. Like the broken pots that are being covered in moss, sheesh those could really hurt someone. Being me, I ended up falling asleep again on the Zinnias, and this time no one was there to bother me. I might get in trouble, but oh well! The moon came out and the stars put on a light show for all to see, the fireflies started sending each other messages and danced back and forth. Crickets started chirping and created a nice tune, wish I could make music, only thing my big fat wings do are buzz and usually that scares away bugs since its intimidating. Right as I was falling asleep, I heard a buzz coming from behind me, it was Virginica! I never saw Virginica out at night, but she decided to join me, we talked for a bit about how today's adventure was awesome.

March 06, 2020 23:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.