0 comments

Crime Fiction Middle School

This is so stupid. Why do we have to go to the stinkin’ library?

“Look, you dad and I have some things to do here. Just sit over there and work on your project.” She was about to turn to the Library’s meeting room when she turned back around with a grin. “and I mean your school project. I’m not going to fall for your tricks again. Love you.” She smiled and walked off.

“Love you too.” Okay. Maybe the library isn’t that bad. Besides I need to get that project done. My school one. Not the movie one.

I sat down at one of the tables and pulled out my math project binder. I answered about two math questions and got distracted watching the person at the front desk talk angrily at a custodian.

What happened there? What if- Stop getting distracted. It’s daydreaming and getting distracted like this that gets you failing two classes.

I worked on it some more then I had to stop. The custodian kept coming and walking around the building. Something’s up. He’s gone in circles three times.

I pulled out my phone and moved my binder to where it would look like I was watching a movie, but it would also capture every moment he made. He went in another circle around, then something must’ve spooked him, because he broke his circle and went straight into and employees only area.

I have two options. Get back to work and maybe get out of failing, just ignoring what just happened. Or break the rules for once in my life and go into a restricted area.

I looked around and saw that the other desk lady in the back was starring at a computer and, anyone else around, which wasn’t a lot of people, were scanning the shelves for books.

This isn’t a movie. Stop trying to find an adventure to go on.

I looked behind me.

Don’t be a wuss. If I do get caught this is an easy fix. Make up something.

I quickly put my binder away and slipped my backpack on. I walked normally to the Employees Only door. Then I went in. It was nothing special.

Then I heard a banging on one of the closest doors.

“Help!” A man screamed. He kept screaming and screaming and I was just standing there.

Move! Do something! Why aren’t I doing anything!

Then I heard it. A thunk. Then the man stopped and I heard something hit the floor through the door.

So I ran. I ran down the hallway and into a random door. Once I was there. I didn’t know what to do.

I flicked on the lights and looked around. Mops, brooms, spray bottles, rags. I heard someone walk down the hallway, taking slow, loud steps.

Please don’t come in. Please don’t come in.

The footsteps stopped by my door.

I cannot freeze this time. I have to do something.

I took light steps and turned off the light in the closet.

Was that stupid? Could he see the light from under and above the door frame?

“Come out. Come out Ethan. It’s already taken care of. I have the money. I’ll pay you. I won’t hurt you Ethan. Just come on out.” I saw the door handle go down.

Don’t freeze. Don’t freeze!

He cracked open the door.

I ran straight for it and it pushed him back enough that he stumbled and fell. I went straight to the door at the end of the hall. I heard gun shots behind me. As I ran I knocked over empty crates and crates with books.

Once I reached the back door I kept running out the door, my backpack flying behind me. No way I was stopping! That was until I didn’t know where I was. I looked behind me and I didn’t see anything. Well that’s good. I kept walking down the street hoping to find something familiar. Lot’s of people were walking around here, that’s when I heard someone shout. “Look at the breaking news!” Everyone pulled out their phones and I realized that my phone was in my backpack.

Wait, aren’t mom and dad in the library with a possible killer!

“Oh no! Someone killed in a custodian closet in the library!”

Oh no.

“Thank goodness, everyone is being rushed out of the library! They’re investigating it right now.”

I have to get to my parents.

“Um. Hello?” I said to a lady next to me. “Do you know the way to the library?”

“Yes. You’re not thinking of going there are you?” She was very concerned.

“My parents are there.” Then she told me the directions and I was off running again. Once I reached the library, I saw the guy with the gun in a group with my mom and dad.

I ran to a police officer near them.

“Sir!”

“Yes?”

“He-, that man, he tried to shoot me in the employees only area earlier! He… he killed that man!” The police officer was very shocked with this accusation.

“Okay okay. I’m not saying your lying, but I’m not saying your telling truth. Are your parents here?” I pointed to them over in one of the groups of people from the library. Which wasn’t big. The cop signaled someone and they came over here.

“Oh my goodness! We’ve been so worried about you!” My mom said.

“Your daughter says to have been near the killing and was shot at. Where were you during all of this?” My parents were shocked.

“We were in a meeting.” My dad said.

“Alright.” He went over to another cop and started talking.

Wait. I’m so slow. I have a video!

“Wait! I have a video!” The police turned his head. So did everyone in the library.

I showed him the video of the guy going in circles. Then I told him the whole story.

He called over the librarian.

“Does he work here?”

“Yes. Although he was fighting with me earlier, because he wasn’t doing anything but standing around.”

“Alright that’s all.”

We were there all day. They checked the fingerprints on the gun and it matched his.

Apparently, he was owed some money by two people, one of them bring Ethan and they were both supposed to meet him there that day. One got killed and Ethan just never showed up.

Who knew something so simple. I mean no extravagant plan in the making or traps or anything, but it was still scary. I was scared for my life man!

The next day the police came to my door and asked what I first thought when they found that I was right on who the culprit was.

“Well. I really was thinking if it was a good idea for a movie.”

August 03, 2023 16:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.