2 comments

Fiction

The Lion’s Story

By David Sanchez

davesanch76@gmail.com

Friends, I was on a walk through the savanna when I heard a clicking sound. It was a random number - first a couple in short bursts, then many at high speed. These were strange clicks, nothing like the mating calls from the birds in the savanna or in the treetops.

I found a tuft of grass and hid behind it while I tried to find the source of the noise. I gazed toward the forest out in the distance but did not see any birds in the treetops. No sign of any elephants, zebras, or cheetahs. I know none of them have ever made that strange noise, so I gazed through the main flat part of the savanna. And then I saw it.

It was a human. Now, this human was not traveling in a pack on top of the large devices they use for mobility. Nor did he have their long black sticks, those that are responsible for taking down our fellow lions and others in the savanna. No, this human was alone. It had a small device in its hands. It was perched atop one of the large boulders next to the mount, the one with the clear view of the watering hole about thirty steps north.

Click, click, click, went the device.

I raised my head slightly. The human stood atop of the boulder, the device in its hands. It surveyed the savanna, then took a seat. It moved its hand over a blank leaf and appeared to etch lines onto its surface. Then it continued to use the device for the clicking. The clicking scared off some of the birds in the nearby shrubs. A male rhinoceros walked near the trees and looked at the human with befuddlement. They also know about the long black sticks, and while the rhinoceros knew the human was defenseless, he decided against any attempt to scare it off. So the rhinoceros went on his way through the trees.

And that was when the human turned the device to face me. This human was studying our land. And using this device for some purpose, possibly to aid in the study. I never consented to have this device aim its clicks at me, and furthermore the sound was not agreeable to my ears. This human was in the wrong for not approaching. Then again, humans never approach. As we know, friends, they travel in packs and usually have the long black sticks or the shorter black sticks they use for defense or for hunting. Never stay within any distance of humans when they carry those sticks. You will never return to the pride alive.

I let out a subtle growl as a warning, but the human was undeterred. The device kept clicking. The human knew it was some distance away and not in any immediate danger. The clicks annoyed me. So I roared, and the human cowered slightly and quickly. The human pointed the device away from me and was motionless. It waited to see if I was to make a move. I crouched under the tuft of grass. Then a herd of antelope over in the distance caught the human’s attention, and it rose to its legs for a better view. That was when I decided to sneak toward the human and position myself for a strike.

I moved stealthily through the grass. I got closer to the rock. The human was not aware of my presence. Its attention was entirely on the antelope herd. The device kept clicking. The human continued to etch the strange markings onto the blank leaf.

A pair of young hyenas to my right began to cackle, and that stirred the human out of its focus. It looked at them and moved a hand to its side. There was a short black stick attached, and the human kept his hand on it as the hyenas began to walk away. I crouched lower, thankfully behind a large outgrowth of grass just a few steps from the boulder. I decided to wait here until the human resumed its focus on the herd.

The device the human held continued its infernal clicking. Short bursts, then long bursts. At one point the human opened it up and took out the insides. The device was then refilled with a similar looking set of insides, closed, and then the human continued making it click.

The herd of antelope was small. There were maybe five adults and two of their young. They gathered by the watering hole, which was still a larger size than normal due to the last rainfall. They took the path toward the forest, as their kind has always done since I was a cub, but took a break to quench their thirst. The human continued using the device. Click, click, click.

I found a shrub near the mount, a few steps to the left of the boulder. The human had not moved from its perch. The antelope finished their break and decided to continue on their path. The human continued to etch markings on the blank leaf. I crouched and waited for the right moment.

The human then picked up a different object that it raised to its mouth. It had water, which I could smell from my new position at the bottom of the boulder. After it had a drink, the human licked its lips and then saw me. I growled, and that caused him to panic, lose its footing and slide down the boulder. I pounced upon the human soon as it hit the ground with a thud.

Friends, when humans do not carry the long black sticks for defense, they can be easily subdued. While this human had the short black stick, it was too frightened to use this. Besides, once I had my paws upon the human, it was unable to move, much less run away. 

The device that clicked and the blank leaf were inside a pouch on the human’s side. They attempted a brief escape but got halfway out and then stood still as I held the human on the ground. The object with water inside tumbled down the boulder. Water marked its trajectory down the side of the boulder.

The human let out a scream when I slashed at his side. And that was when the rest of you arrived.

Now we can say we have tasted human flesh. For me, friends, it is not as flavorful as the elders of our pride had told us. Too gamy. I am still partial to zebra, if given a choice. I understand vultures have a taste for human flesh. Whatever we do not finish of this meal, we will leave to them.

February 28, 2023 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Darryl Roberts
01:41 Mar 13, 2023

Nice, I always wondered what humans taste like to other animals. Maybe that’s why there are so many of us, we’re just not very edible ;)

Reply

David Sanchez
00:30 Mar 15, 2023

Haha! True. I think about the same thing. Maybe we ARE too gamy to wildlife. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.