Operation Bucharest

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

1 comment

Crime Horror Mystery

It's 4 a.m. in Sunnyside, New York, December 2nd. A restless blonde woman of small stature sits in an unmarked patrol vehicle with a detachable siren on the front hood, she had just previously received a call from her Sergeant regarding a "ten seventy-one", witnesses describe the alleged culprits as four men with long hair in a pick up truck fleeing from the scene of the crime. 

After a few more sips of caffeine she exits and walks towards the front door of a residential building in a wealthy gated suburban neighborhood. She is well dressed in a white buttoned dress shirt and a black suit jacket with her black nylon belt. Her credentials displayed on her golden badge tucked in with her police issued Glock 19 pistol. She walks through a large swimming pool full of empty red plastic cups and a grill still sizzling steams and overcooking minced meat rolls on the griddle. Evidence of a former house party further corroborated from the many empty beer bottles around the front yard.

A few feet away several officers stand against the doorway conversing. There are other officers besides their squad cars on the front lawn, one fixing the barricade tape to cover the vicinity of the crime scene, the others interviewing the neighbors nearby looking for bullet fragments with their flash lights. A young male officer gestures the woman to halt with his open palm.

"Wait a second" he says firmly.

"Detective Deal, Forensics" The blonde woman flashes her badge to the officer.

"I'm looking for Sergeant Brickson" she says, her eyes pacing around the house.

"The Sergeant didn't say he was expecting anyone else from forensics" he says "This is a tight knit investigation"

After a brief moment of hesitation the young officer asks the Detective to stand by.

"Wait here" the young officer demands and heads back towards the inside of the house.

The blonde Detective stands scanning the surrounding buildings, aside from the chatters of the police officers nearby, there is a scarcity of noise in the area. She notices the neighbors lights are off but there are people inside peaking through the curtains, she turns her head over to the grill still sizzling.

"Excuse me, Officer" she gestures over to a tall man in blue uniform and badge on his chest with her index finger.

"Would you kindly take care of that " she says firmly as she continues to wait by the front door.

The man with an expression that appeared irritated walks over and scans the Detective's wardrobe, he notices the badge on her belt and walks over to the grill, before he reaches to the knob, she interrupts him again.

"Gloves, officer, please..."

In the other room the young officer walks over to Sergeant Gary Brickson a heavy set older man in a fine tan suit and another Detective besides him, Detective Garcia who was an intimidating looking man with a goatee and broad shoulders he wore a black suit and jacket.

"Sergeant, there's a Detective Deal out in the front asking for you"

"Here we go on cue, that's another God-forsaken migraine I am not prepared for, Garcia" the Sergeant places his hand on Garcia's shoulders. "You'll be in charge of this"

"Is this the crazy broad they call when something's dogworthy? " he laughs.

"Putting the K-9 units out of work"

"What do you mean" the young officer says.

"She's got a good nose?" he asks puzzled.

Detective Garcia appears irked before dismissing the young officer. 

Sergeant Brickson rests his hand on Detective Garcia's shoulders and lets out a deep sigh.

"Tell you what, you are to report to Detective Margaret Deal and adhere to every specific requests she has, she is in charge of the investigation going forward, this is exclusively from the Lieutenant herself, do I make myself clear?"

"ten-four sir, but she is a forensics officer so this is a surprise to me" he adds.

"And one last thing, Garcia" the Sergeant continues.

"Do not shake her hands" he adds.

"You'll startle her"

"Got it Sergeant"

"The less questions you ask, the faster this investigation concludes"

Sergeant Brickson makes his way over to Detective Deal and briefly converses before tapping her on the side of her arm and walking away towards his vehicle. Detective Garcia makes his way towards the blonde Detective and introduces himself.

"Detective Deal, I am Detective Thomas Garcia, I understand you will be in charge of this case going forward, if I can assist in any way, please don't hesitate to ask"

"It's good to meet you Detective Garcia"

Detective Deal reaches into her pockets to get her blue medical gloves and extends her hand out to place them on for a brief moment. Garcia grabs her opened hand and grips it firmly. 

"It's a pleasure, he says smiling and winking at her"

Deal almost in disarray jumps at the sight of her hand being squeezed from Garcia.

"I'm not much of a... " she stammers, Detective Garcia interrupts.

"You know I find it a little odd a Forensic officer such as yourself with only a few years doing field work is left to take charge of this case, given its well under control and out of your jurisdiction. So if you'd like to analyze the ballistics you can be on your way and leave the report at the station, does that sound like a good deal, Detective Deal?, He smiles.

Detective Deal leads Garcia into a private room in the household.

"Listen Detective Garcia, I don't have time for this back and forth bickering, I am not here to tread on your case, but your Lieutenant called me over to analyze some bullet fragments because I have good reason to believe this is part of an investigation far bigger than you might be prepared for" she adds emphatically.  

Detective Garcia shakes his head.

"Ok, follow me" he says with a calming shift in his tone.

The two make their way into the living room, where forensic field officers are taking photographs of blood splatters and marking evidence around. There is furniture flipped over and a television showing footage of the Great Union Day celebration in Bucharest, Romania. There is a table full of cold half eaten pizza, snacks, drug paraphernalia and empty bottles of Țuică, a plum spirit.

"Any four-nineteen?" asks Detective Deal.

"There is only one, the neighbors tell us they heard a crowd of people here, loud music and then several gun shots from the vehicle seen fleeing. The body is in the kitchen with a couple of exit wounds, severe burns on his face, poor bastard" Garcia adds.

Detective Deal walks over to a window and analyzes the bullet holes then walks over to the end of the wall in the dining room to find pieces of broken debris of a broken material, and silver metal pieces.

"What kind of bullets break like this, one of the forensics officers asks who has placed a yellow marker numbered "6" besides the pieces.

"It's a special clay-based bullet designed to dissolve, coated in silver she says.

"very difficult to trace" she continues.

"Any idea of who rented the property? " she turns to Detective Garcia.

"We have made contact with the owners of the property. They tell us they rented out the location to a young kid in his twenties, they say he had an Eastern European accent and paid cash in advance. One peculiar thing about the body is he's got a tattoo of a dog or a wolf skull on his chest".  

"What did you say?" the blonde detective asks nervously.

"A canine skull of some sort"

"Listen to me here, I need an officer to find me the circuit breaker in the house"

"What are you on about?"

Detective Deal appears to be more agitated as she walks over to the other rooms quickly scanning the ceilings around the house. Detective Garcia following closely behind until she stops abruptly, she begins breathing heavily in short breaths after discovering the access panel to the attic, its got bloody hand prints on the cord hanging beneath it. She scrunches her nose and inhales deeply.

"What is wrong with you?" Detective Garcia says with a bewildered look on his face.

"They're here" she says. Detective Deal nods her head to him and stares at the closed attic panel. She notices a very faint sounds of movement.

"I need you guys to clear out the room, right now! she yells gesturing for the field officers to retreat.

Garcia, do you have a flash light? she commands.

Suddenly a loud cry is heard outside towards the back end of the house. The lights shut off completely around the vicinity of the household.

The house is now pitch black, the Detectives are knocked back from the opening of the attic door and sounds of their bodies hitting furniture as they stumble. Shortly after a discordance of a mixture of loud sounds and a scuffle brews in the darkness. The sounds of gargling sounds following shortly after the momentary cries of some of the officers is heard.

Some of the officers outside with drawn weapons and flashlights run inside the premises, their attempts halted by the shadowy figures quickly approaching. More faint sounds of bludgeoning of skulls and tearing of clothing continue.

Suddenly an unsettling silence followed by chants in a foreign language.

After a few moments, the disoriented Detective Deal breathing heavily on the ground is searching desperately for her fallen weapon knocked out from her hands.


Suddenly a faint glimmer of light returns into the living room illuminating a few rooms including the living room in a dim light. The blonde detective is left under a rubble of dead bodies, one is her former partner who is unrecognizable at this point. She pushes him aside and struggles to stand up. The room is now filled with a pool of blood and human entrails.

There are teenagers and young twenty year olds standing around the living room, their eyes locked into the sole surviving victim, Detective Deal. Some of them look to be furious and others trembling and frightened, they begin to whisper.

"You pigs"

" We are innocent.."

"They attacked us first"

"Oh god, Oh god, Oh god"

Then they all get silent as one menacing bald taller figure enters from another room, he's a pale very thin man whose body is riddled in scars and tattoos over his torso and shaved head. He has the same distinctive wolf skull tattoo on his chest from the body discovered earlier.

The reflectors on his pupils glowing in a bright green color as he stares intensely at the Detective closing in. He appears to be smiling, his teeth stained in dark red.

Detective Deal is having an anxiety attack breathing in quick deep breaths her hands start to shiver as she looks around the room.

"Ce mișto!" the tall menacing figure laughs sucking in the thick saliva and blood fluids through his teeth. His voice is a low-tone and intimidating with a hint of rasp like that of a a heavy smoker. His sinister grin revealing the sharp canine fangs in his mouth.

"English!" Detective Deal yells in a frightened tone her voice cracking in an emotional plea, still trying desperately to catch her breath, tears forming in her bloodshot eyes.

"Ah, the Sanctimonious image of your fallen peers surround you, Detective is it not poetic? " he laughs. "How fragile humans are, like fruit flies".

He pulls out an old leather bound book with an Angel insignia on the cover, an 1886 copy of Mihai Eminescu's "The Vesper", he turns a few pages and begins to recite.

. "From 'neath the castle's dark retreat,

Her silent way she wended,

Each evening to the window seat

Where Lucifer attended."

The tall pale mans laughter begins to get heavier then suddenly his expression shifts and focuses on the Detective who manages to find her balance leaning against the wall.

"You're an abomination!" she says gritting her teeth and shaking.

"You may not know who we are Detective" he says smiling and revealing his longer sharp canine teeth protruding further from his gums, " but tonight is a special night" he continues, "We celebrate the beginning of the hunt of the feral mongrels that hurt us".

"And we celebrate the passing of my flesh and blood"  

Officer Deal cries out "You're wrong, I know exactly who you are" still trying to regain her balance, "What you've done to these people, they didn't deserve this" she says. 

"I've allowed you to carry on long enough" the pale man says now approaching closer.

"You're right about that" She says.

"You shouldn't have let me live".

Her nose begins to wrinkle and her mouth suddenly begins to contort, her hands bearing the likeness of rigor mortis stiffness before morphing. Her fingernails turn into sharp razor-edged claws, and her legs misshapen into a hind leg, her blue eyes transform into a piercing pale yellow color. Her teeth carved into sharp blade-like fangs.

She pounces into the tall menacing figure and bites into his neck ripping a large chunk of flesh, before the tall pale man can react he murmurs something unintelligible and chokes on his own blood, he falls onto the floor.. Some of the other young men and women surrounding them now have their fangs out, they attempt to fight her off but meet the same demise, her claws rip through their vital organs. The rest attempt to run into walls in fear before fleeing through the front door.

The once recognizable detective is now a monstrous hairy beast with platinum hair, her voice trembling a painful growl. She slowly contorts back to her recognizable form and huddles in a fetal position, her body lies naked in bite wounds and scratches surrounded by pieces of her ripped clothing.

She lays weeping in a puddle of grime and a mixture of blood and her golden badge besides her stained in trickles of red.  


May 14, 2021 05:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Annalisa D.
13:30 May 14, 2021

Spooky story. I really enjoyed the ending.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.