The Birth of a Photographer

Submitted into Contest #14 in response to: It's about a photographer, who is a rookie.... view prompt

0 comments

General


My senses awoke after several deaths. Though I never thought I had talent. My eyes were reborn to see nature the way I had seen it years ago as a child. The rebirth proved to me that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

After several drives in the country, it made me pick up a camera. I captured the most profound pictures. I watched the sunset unfold daily and it was therapeutic for my soul. The colors were spectacular. I was inspired to take more pictures. During a late-night drive, I took a picture of the moon resting on a tree. The following night I saw the fog gently blanketing the mountains as if the fog was talking to the mountains “it was time to sleep.” I saw a piece of wood above the mountains that looked like an Indian bending over and working, diligently. I thought to myself “he should rest because his back must hurt.” As fall approached, I saw a tiny flower looking out of the dirt for the sun. I saw squirrels busy gathering acorns for the winter. I took pictures of hummingbirds moving from flower to flower. My favorite picture was watching the wild oats swaying in the wind in front of the sunset.

I sat quietly taking pictures and watched as a new world unfolded. Each picture I took was lovely. It captured the essence of my journey and how beautiful life can be. My favorite I called “Big Daddy a Large Red Tail Hawk” who sat daily on a tree as I drove past him. He allowed me to take several profile pictures of him and sometimes he would look directly at me. He never flew away and I always said, “Good Morning Big Daddy.”

In our busy world of technology, we tend to lose sight of the small things in life. It takes a catastrophic shake up to bring us back home to ourselves. We learn and move forward with a happy spirit.


Poppy

 


This story is dedicated to Dave, aka Cimino Kid




November 01, 2019 17:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.