30 comments

Drama Romance Friendship

“Come on, babe.You can’t be stuck in your house forever, you know! I know I can’t.” Shouted Jeremy.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… He didn’t mean harm, but he was still a bit too harsh towards Coco. Given her background, she suffered from a terrible and traumatic childhood. Her father, well, suffered from substance abuse and constantly inflicted physical, emotional and sexual pain on both Coco, and her mom. On the other hand, as for her mom, as a result of knowing that she cannot seek vengeance from her husband made the horrible mistake of tormenting her daughter. Looking down on Coco, blaming her for her father’s attitude and mistakes, and insulting her only made Coco’s situation to worsen.


“Jeremy, you know how I am. Can’t you just accept me for who I really am within?” Coco said with a soft voice.

”No, Coco. I’m done dealing with your crappy personality and empathising your ”awful home growing up”. I thought that you were ready to let go of it, goddammit. Can’t you just stop whining about your own problems and deal with mine?” Jeremy asked.

”Jeremy, what kinds of problems do you have? Too many girls to party with? Can’t pick the right drug from a million different kinds? Cheating on me with others without acknowledging my pain? Practising in front of the mirror to insult m-“

Whoosh.

Bam.

Smack.


Jeremy had already slapped Coco on her right cheek. Her face was entirely red with tears gushing out of her eyes. When she was 13, she had made a promise to herself, a boundary that no man she ever dates would dare lay a hand on her without her permission. The boundary has been crushed, and crossed.


”Oh-h-h, I’m so sorry, babe! I didn’t mea-”

“Do. Not. Ever. Contact. Me. Again.” Coco interrupted Jeremy.

”Coco, wait-“ Jeremy pleaded.

Coco’s eyes were filled with anger, maddening her more and more. Her fists clenched up and her body froze. The chills throughout her spine disrupted her glaring stare into Jeremy’s eyes. She grabbed her knock-off Burberry purse and smacked it against Jeremy’s face. She then stomped out of his house.

…….…………………………….……….……………………………………………………………

Coco huffed and panted as she ran to the nearest bench she could find, just near the Kestof Park. She remembers visiting this same park Fifteen years ago, when she was just 10 years old. Her parents didn’t bother to accompany her, and she never had any siblings as well.

( THE FOLLOWING IS A FLASHBACK)**


”Aww, look at the older sister playing with her little brother. They look so cute!” Young Coco gazed in awe.

”Man, I wish I had a smaller sister or brother to spoil, play, feed and hangout with all day. I’d never get bored!” Ten year old Coco thought, deeply lost in her feelings.

She played with her own fingers, pretending that her index finger and ring finger were a stick figure meeting another of the same kind. She giggled and laughed at how silly she was acting. At once, someone abruptly gently touched her shoulder.

”Ah!” Coco shook and swiped her head to face the stranger.

”Hi! My name‘s Akin, and what’s yours?” The young boy asked with a huge grin on his face, and his dimples were showing as well. His hands at the back pockets and his two feet lined up. He wore a yellow coloured striped shirt with a pair of green shorts. Coco thought he was kinda cute.


”Coco, you’re a socially incompetent child! I wish I had aborted you in the first place!” These words said directly to her by her mother flashed about in her mind repetitively.

”Could I ever make friends? I’ll surely stutter and embarrass myself if I talk to him.” She thought.

The boy was standing in front of her trying to figure out the look in her eyes with a puzzled face.

”Hh-h-h-i-.... Pffft” She stuttered.

The boy came closer and Coco stepped back.

”P-please-e dd-don’t make f-fun of me-e.” Coco desperately asked with her hands covering her face while kneeling on the ground.

The boy walked up to her and kneeled down beside her. He gently removed her arms and saw that Coco was still in shock while closing her eyes. The boy brushed off her strands of her hair, and said, “I won’t.”

”Wanna pinky promise?” He asked.

”Pinky promise.” Coco whispered and they held their pinky fingers up to make a promise, and that’s how a friendship started.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

”Ugh!” Coco groaned.

”My life’s such a mess. Why did I date such an artificial and disastrous man.” She said as she engrossed her fingers into her scalp. A few tears dropped to her lap making a tiny puddle.

Someone tapped her shoulders and held them with a tight grip.

”Are you okay?” Someone asked with a comforting yet hoarse tone.

”Yep, No. I’m really not.” Coco replied. She looked up with tired eyes and she saw a young man with dark black messy hair, just like the handsome dark characters in her manga comic books. She blushed like crazy and her cheeks looked like cherries, in a good way.

”So, what happened?” He asked with pitiful eyes.

Coco explained to him her situation, her background, and everything that had happened to her. Without realising that he was a complete stranger.

”Oh no. I’ve told you about my entire life, what if you’re a murderer? Stalker? Criminal? Worse, a-“

He chuckled hard. “Nah, I’m none of those. I’m just an ordinary student at Kelston Medical School.” He said.

”Hold on, I attend that same medical school as well! How come we’ve never met?” I asked.

He thought hard. “Hm, yeah, I’ve never really see you around. Are you a second year as well?”

“Yeah.” Coco said with some hope.

”Hey, look at that. Me too.” He said with a grin on his face.

”Thanks for listening to me ranting about my problems. No one else would have done that for me.” Coco said while looking at her shoes.

”Hey, of course. Anytime. And, that Jeremy guy is such a jerk. You deserve a person who loves you for who you are.” He said with sparkling eyes.

”Hm.” Coco said while gaping into his eyes.

”Would you be that person by any chance? It’s okay if you don’t-“

”I would love to.” He said while grinning hard.

They both chuckled.

“Gimme a second, I have a call to make. Funny how I never asked you your name.” Coco said.

”The names Ak-“

“Akin, huh?” She asked.

”How did you-“ He said.

She called Jeremy. “Hey, babe. What’s going on, you angry-head?” He asked. “Jeremy, listen to me very carefully.”

“Sure, what’s up, girl?” He said casually.

”I‘m never going out with you again.” Coco said firmly.

”Wait, wha-“

Coco cut the call and looked up to the bright blue sky.





July 26, 2021 08:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

18:44 Aug 12, 2021

I liked this story to save it to my library to read later, but forgot to actually read it, so I just finished now. Sorry. WOWOWOWOW!!!! That was absolute perfection, Pahani. It was enjoyable and sweet at the end. I HATE Jeremy. He is so mean, but you developed him to be very realistic. I love the flashback part you did, and I feel really sad for Coco that she didn't have anyone. :( I'm glad she met Akin at the end though. She definitely needed him. Great job, as always. :D Happy writing!! -Bella

Reply

Pahani Wijeratne
08:27 Aug 13, 2021

Heyy, Bella! How are you doing? It’s been a while since I talked to you lol 😂😊. Ohh, no worries! Please feel free to read anytime :D. Hehehe, I’m super glad that you like the story. THANK YOU SO MUCH 🥳🥳. I feel flattered by your compliments, gosh. Yes! I was plotting for a sweet and sad story, so I guess I achieved my mission 😎 Yay! Haha, I also hate Jeremy. He’s just an overall horrible person but I wanted to make him sound realistic. I also love the flashback part! I think that it’s cool that she met Akin when he was a kid in the flashb...

Reply

11:42 Aug 13, 2021

Hey Pahani! I'm doing good, how are you? It definitely has been a long time. I will always read your stories! They are so good. You're welcome! And you did reach your goal of a sweet and sad story! I'm still reeling on how amazing that was! Jeremy is a horrible person and definitely does sound realistic, so you reached your goal there, too. :) Akin was the person she always needed. :D No problem! Aww, I'm glad to hear. Yes, I love when I get comments like those, they make my day. :) Oh, no worries! I'd be happy if you did check my storie...

Reply

Pahani Wijeratne
12:00 Aug 13, 2021

Sup! Doing pretty good, thanks, Bella! The weather’s pretty cold where I live, so I guess I’d say I’m feeling lazy lol 😂. Aww, yesss! I get so happy when I read your feedback! Honestly, they make my entire day and brightens it up :’)). I’m super thankful and grateful for every word 😊. Of course, I’ll definitely check them out sometime! Your stories are awesome 😎 I love them all! <3 P.S. I’ve got to say, your profile picture is adorable!Your puppy is soo cute, I’m literally grinning right now 😄I love French bulldogs!! The cuteness is too m...

Reply

12:05 Aug 13, 2021

Haha! The weather is hot where I am so I'm also feeling lazy. I do not want to go outside. :D Aww, you're welcome! Thank you! I have a new one I just submitted yesterday. I felt the dialogue may have been fast paced, but people seem to like it. I'd appreciate critique on that story if you have time! And I'm so happy you like them! Oh my goodness! If you read my bio, you'll know that the dog in the picture is my French Bulldog, Winnie. That picture was taken when she was still a puppy, so now she is three. :D -Bella-

Reply

Pahani Wijeratne
12:15 Aug 13, 2021

Ooh, lucky! I wish the weather was warm here 🥺 Plus, whenever it’s hot I feel like taking a nap :’D. But, being productive is important 😂😂. That’s great! I love that feeling of accomplishment of when submitting a story! It makes me feel somewhat happy :). And, it makes me excited to see what other people think about it :). I have a problem of refreshing the bell too much, bahaha 😂😂 Yesss, I’ve found out from your bio that Winnie is your dog! She’s super duper cute 🥰 I think I’ll need to have a French Bulldog as well! But, I live with my ca...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Arthur Alexander
18:33 Aug 03, 2021

Heyy! I read the story before but I forgot to leave in a comment... sorry! I can see it was little rushed but that's okay though! The last story I wrote was a little rushed too. Overall this was a really good story! I really love it ❤ (PS: I honestly don't know why... but I imagined Zayn in the place of Akin, his face just popped up to me when you described Akin in the story. There's another fact you go to know about me! I'm a 1D fan hehehe 😅) Also! Akin's my favoraite charecter :)

Reply

Pahani Wijeratne
05:45 Aug 04, 2021

Hiiii! It’s totally cool 😎 Please feel free to comment whenever you’d like to, no worries! Aww, thank you for such thoughtful and nice feedback! I’m really really grateful that you understand that my story was a bit rushed 😅. Thank you so much for these kind words, they mean the world 🌎❤️ Haha, really? 😂😂 Thats pretty awesome actually, I’m honoured you think so! Hehe. I’m a fan of 1D as well, plus ZSQUAD. P.S. Did you notice this? We actually bonded more over the fact that we’re both fans of 1D and possibly ZSQUAD! That’s how it is like ...

Reply

Arthur Alexander
06:47 Aug 04, 2021

Omg! I'm a ZSQUAD as well! Ahhhhhhhh! We have soo much to bond over :) I love your stories tooo! Their soo amazing! I really love your word choice. You're an A-M-A-Z-A-Y-N writer! I learn a lot from you too! (PS: Zayn makes AMAZINNG songs! They always give me good vibes) Btw, I love a lot of people, that include, - Harry Styles (obvio 😁) - Taylor Swift - Dua Lipa - Louis Tomlinson -Niall Horan - Liam Payne - Shawn Mendes - 1D Now if i continue I might end up naming everyone in the industry... so these are like main people I listen to. ...

Reply

Pahani Wijeratne
07:25 Aug 04, 2021

YAYYYY!! You replied back 😆 I was hoping to get a reply as soon as possible lol! Gahhhhh! Omg, I love Dua Lipa and Shawn Mendes as well 🥺🥺 ( part of the simp squad)😂😂 Like you said, NO REGRETS! Exactly, Zayn’s songs have a really good vibe as well the beats are awesomeee! If someone’s asks me to pick my favourite I might as well end up naming everyone in the industry too! P.S. (Yipee, another Elton John fan! I love his song, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road ☺️) Also, whenever I hear a song that I really like, I keep humming and repeating the ...

Reply

Arthur Alexander
07:39 Aug 04, 2021

Helloooooo! I'm still onlinee! I was reading people's stories that when I saw a notification from you and I got really excited! ahhhhhhhhh! Dua Lipa and Shawn Mendes are AMAZING! My favoraite Elton John song would probably be, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and, Don't go Breaking my Heart yeah thats like top 2 :) I do that too, sometimes I have songs stuck in my head and I start humming with random words in it, like yesterday... a song called 'Issues' bu Julia Micheals was stuck in my head and I coudn't figure out which song it was at first bu...

Reply

Pahani Wijeratne
11:11 Aug 04, 2021

Heyyyyyyooo! Sorry for the late reply, I had a Math exam to write 😭🥺🥺 Awwww, it’s so sweet that you got excited when I replied, I was so happy when you replied as well! 😆🥳🥳 NO.WAY. REALLY?! The “Issues” song was stuck in my head as well! Wow🤯. That song is soo catchy for some reason and the tune is pretty bomb as well! Ohh, yeah, I forgot about “Hakuna Matata”! That’s probably the best and most popular song in Lion King. I love Pumba lol they’re so funny😂😂 I’m glad that you know the “aweeh ah bambaye” tune because I was starting to think t...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:00 Jul 29, 2021

Hello! I really liked this story. The plot was good, and the dialogue showed the different personalities the various characters possessed. If you don't mind, I'd like to give you some quick feedback! I'm not sure how this happened, but you sometimes typed backward quotation marks. Like here, where it says ”Jeremy, you know how I am. Can’t you just accept me for who I really am within?” Coco said with a soft voice. I think it should be "Jeremy, you know how I am. Can’t you just accept me for who I really am within?" Coco said with a soft voi...

Reply

Pahani Wijeratne
08:43 Jul 30, 2021

Hey, hey! Aw, thank you so much for the awesome 😎 feedback, Silver! Your comments always make my day 🤩 that’s why I’m motivated to always keep writing :)). I’m really glad you like the personalities of the characters, it means so much to me. I worked on bringing out the maximum potential of each character because every single one of them meant a lot to the overall story. I’m curious though, which character was your favourite? Of course, please feel free to give any critique or thoughts you have to improve this story :D Every critique i...

Reply

13:58 Jul 30, 2021

Hi again! I think that Coco is probably my favorite character, simply because she’s the most developed character in the story. I hope you have an amazing amazing day as well :)

Reply

Pahani Wijeratne
07:10 Jul 31, 2021

Hello! Ooh, yes, Coco is probably my favourite too. But, I think Akin may be my most favourite. Thank you once again for the fabulous feedback, Silver! 😊

Reply

15:09 Jul 31, 2021

Anytime! Have a great day :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pahani Wijeratne
12:22 Jul 29, 2021

Heyo! (Please forgive my awkward way of greeting people 😂😂). Hope you all are doing great :)). Wanted to confirm that this story is edited. Please keep in mind that this story was a bit rushed, but I hope it’s good enough anyway. I would love to know what you guys think about this story, I really enjoyed writing this one! May be one of my favourites, not too sure yet :). Hope you all enjoy your day, and stay blessed. Please take good care of yourselves! Byeeeeee 😊. P.S. o_o i see you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pahani Wijeratne
08:50 Jul 26, 2021

Hi, everyone! Please enjoy this week’s story, I really hope you all like it :). Please note that any errors or mistakes will be fixed as the editing is not done yet. I will assure you when it’s done with another comment down below. This is due to my busy schedule, apologies. Until then, you are free to read it whenever you feel like. Thanks for all the support peeps, byee!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.