3 comments

Contemporary Fiction Romance

Ella awoke languidly, reflecting on her sixtieth birthday. She peeped at Mike, snoring quietly, softly, next to her. She had always believed her dreams, and belief in herself that there would someday have a happy ending. Ella was told she was still quite easy on the eye, or so it seemed to Mike.

Her thoughts were on these golden years, after her journey through life. She had been married once, like all her peers, to her significant other. In the early days after their nuptials, they had both enjoyed the best love life in their city. But it now seemed like that trite old situation, Ella had three rugrats in under five years. None were conceived by immaculate conception, as everyone else appeared to, according to her now late mother-in-law.

Ella had kept silent and soldiered on. Her significant other left her in the lurch with his kids, her baby belly, and the nocturnal virus clusters her young ones had regularly. Exhausted, she still kept her peace when her significant other missed Father's Day and their birthdays. He was embracing a much younger, firmer, untired ho, as Ella privately thought of this rival. "She can have him!" she told herself. "Just don't send him back to me!"

By the way, Ella also realized that her kids were going to involve a lot of costs. Food, housing, clothing, education, future toys, it all seemed there were endless years of poverty stretching in front of her. Ella sat down in an odd minute, and wrote down her talents and skills. She could drive okay, so what jobs were available for drivers?

"Okay, the big money is in interstate truck driving. " She did not hesitate, phoning up to book in for truck driving lessons, while her mother took care of the rugrats. Ella found she did have what it took, her father contacted a mate, and Ella and her kids were on the road! Across the red dirt plains, from one roadhouse along the highways, she and her kids sang every nursery rhyme she never wanted to hear again, as well as learnt the words to every good old country song. For sleeping on night driving, Ella popped them into the bunk behind her driver's cabin.

Ella met some male bigots along the way, quite toxic, but also some undercurrent of chick support. Her kids were regular hits at the roadhouses, it was all doable. Her income was more than adequate, at home on layovers, there was money to spend. She had formed her own close family, and her own solutions.

Ella kept silent, kept on trucking. One day however, she realized that her kids, Russell, Sheila and Allison, had no peer group, their school work needed some professional to educate them. They really needed to be in a classroom. She perused the future, still believing in her own inner strength. Ella decided that she would also enroll in a classroom of adults.

She could see the digital future ahead for society, and enrolled in a training course to become an expert in computer support. Ella was the only sissie there, but quietly once again emerged as the top student. Her degree was her trophy, she applied to her kids' school, and was eagerly employed to solve computing meltdowns at a couple of schools in the district. Adults could not have kids staring at blank screen. There was even a staff discount on the educational fees for the young ones. Winner.

By now, her home was now nearly hers and hers alone. Ella only believed in herself, she did have some support from her parents, her siblings hoped they would not get divorced too. Initiatives were Ella, as she then enrolled not only Russell, but also his younger sisters, in martial arts training. She was only too aware that they would all need preparation for handling themselves for life and loving. Ella hoped they did not have to use this martial, or marital, training.

The years did roll on, as time does to us all. Ella did not feel too empowered as a quiet trailblazer for sissies, she had to work hard and supervise her kids. One day, they had all been hitched up, and she gave away her daughters in marriage. She had been both mother and father to them all those years, only believing in herself.

At work, an older male's eyes had twinkled when he had invited her to dinner one evening. That fateful night arrived, Ella had on her new frock, but there was a slight hitch. Russell turned up to her door, as the appointed same time as Mr.Potential Beau. Her oldest sprog felt the need to dress in his karate uniform, proudly wearing his black belt, towering over this beau. End of a total non event. Russell was devoted to his mother, and treasured some flawed chivalrous notions about Ella's holy chastity.

Any love can fail, as Ella was only too familiar with. So, nothing happened. Soon, Ella was a grandma herself. Lovely grandchildren, but she always dreamed of a getaway, to relax, kick back, no more rat race, professional clothes, solving problems for others.

Both her parents passed within a couple of months of each other, leaving Ella and her siblings quite well endowed. It was now or never. She could spend some of the kids' inheritance on Ella for once. She moved interstate, where she had never traveled before. She bought an older, renovated hacienda on a coast of sapphire sea, fringed by lush tropical rain forest and plantations. Here, she could wear singlets, shorts, only cotton socks with her boots, in case of wild insects.

Now Ella could rest up and read all the novels she had always wanted to, pursue new authors, still dreaming. One sunny morning, she was sitting on the beach, reading, when she chatted to two grey nomad males. Their names were Mike and Mark, her generation. They were doing the big retirement trip. in a large four-wheel drive and caravan, all round the country, off the beaten track.

Mike and Ella's glances had been smouldering, but he and Mark were planning to keep driving. But Mike had said, "Don't go anywhere, I know where to find you"

Ella returned to her excellent novel, appreciating her solitude. Mike did turn up again, solo camping this time, and set up a love right in her heart. Love and peace were emanating in these golden years, with a man she had never dreamed of meeting and loving. She lay in bed, thinking, "Yes, I have crossed far worse streams in life in this." Maybe this relationship would fail, or last. But she was never too old to dream, never even realizing she had been a quiet symbol for all the sissies. Unsung, she kept on keeping on, these were their golden years.

Ella is still alive and kicking, going strong, far away from her struggle street in suburbia, and her son's chastity ideals! Only believe, sissies, only believe.....

August 24, 2024 06:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Helen A Smith
16:50 Sep 01, 2024

Sometimes learning to survive is the biggest journey of all. Ella has done so much more than that. Very relatable story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
15:15 Aug 26, 2024

Never give up dreaming.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristi Gott
13:00 Aug 24, 2024

What a wonderful and unique story! The writing style flows so naturally and the details make it so real. I enjoyed reading this inspiring and interesting story of a strong, independent woman surviving. Well told!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.