1 comment

Creative Nonfiction

I first noticed soft dark curls spiraling his glasses. His eyes which mimicked those of the Mona Lisa were deep and showcased like that of a priceless sixteenth century frame. We met past the strike of twelve and spent the early morning in places known only in his memories. We found ourselves in a barren batting cage where two chairs sat patiently and we joined them only feet apart from one another. The evening was calm and quiet. I felt safe as if every choice I had made up to this point was the right one. 

I could only make out the shape of his broad shoulders in the dark room thanks to the light posts right outside. He was leaning back and spoke little but his voice was clear and what was said was with purpose and care. We did not speak in a whisper but or voices were at a volume so low that even the trees sending their leaves to the south could have gotten a word in. This was a unique moment and I held to it as long as I could. 

As we were leaving all I wanted to do was hold his hand. A childish feeling but a blushing feeling I’d rarely felt anymore. I’d even lost my balance and fell into the arm of a sleeping tree. The feeling of a bittersweet ride home was common for me but that pounding in my heart was new. 

The untold tale is that it was supposed to be someone else. When I got into that carriage it was a dangerous and careless act. I’ve lived my life taking chances with no purpose or reason and this was another one of those. I’d grown used to just setting a date with another prince and hoping for the best. Like another princess lost in her tower I’d forgotten who and what order this one was to be. 

I didn’t know what face I would be looking upon until that last moment where I couldn’t turn back. I was in love with risk hoping it would bring me what I searched for. I trust fate and what it intends and when dealing with love I don’t leave it to myself. I ended the night without kissing him and waited for the next night I’d see him. 

I’ve learned that fate will bring you what you desire if you let it but it will also take that very same blessing away if you leave it to the whims of the wind. 

February 13, 2020 11:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Anie Homan
16:37 Feb 21, 2020

I love this! Really awesome take on this prompt!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.