The End of the Year

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story that features zombies.... view prompt

3 comments

Adventure Drama Science Fiction

Sometimes things go as planned, but not always as you planned. Like maybe you planned to change careers and make a little bit more money. Maybe you planned to go back to school or move to another city. Or maybe your plans were more run of the mill, for instance you just planned a trip to wallworld to pick up a few necessities. Whatever your plans you expect to go about them unimpeded. For most this is true, but for me a plan isn't properly planned unless you have a back up (or two). Just like any other day my plans were simple, well simple enough.

       As usual I was up at 6 am to get my little ones off to school. Per everyday I woke the oldest first, of course I did this to avoid having to deal with the twins and baby Rosi. She was quite a handful. As planned Violet, annoyed by her task as eldest, rang her bell of annoyance in every room. The twins jumped up in unison,”we're up, we're up!” She dragged herself to Rosi's room and gently shook her awake. Rosi stretched and made a kissy face at Violet and she blew one back at her little sister. The planned day continued as she went into the kitchen and put on a pot of coffee. While waiting on said coffee she turned the television on to pass the time.

          Just as plans do this one went astray with one single sound. In the distance a howling noise vibrated through the trees. Violet turned the tv down and opened the patio door. The howling flooded the house as it rode the trees like the wind.

         I sat up with the urgency the sound conveyed and right then I knew my plan A was out the window. Little did I know plan B would suffer the same fate. “Violet, turn the news up!!!” I hollered from my room as I got dressed unfortunately. The twins bounced around fully dressed and ready to go. Rosi clinged to my dress, “ma, what's that noise.” I loosened her grip, “trouble.” I retorted quietly. The closer I got to the tv the more I understood it would be of no help. Static rang clear through as I rounded the corner into the kitchen and saw Violet feverishly trying to find a workable station. “Give me that,” I hissed unintentionally. I of course knew that Violet had done nothing wrong, but was irritated nonetheless. “Crap tv,” also knowing it wasn't the tv. Finally almost by some magic, a signal came through.

           “Residences, an unknown illness has struck the heart of every city. For your safety all buildings such as schools, stores and any public forums will be closed. No one is to leave their homes unless escorted by the authorities. Please remain calm and keep this channel tuned for more details.”

     The house was dead silent even Rosi decided not to ask any questions which I had no plan for. I was ready to shut her down, but she said nothing. The twins who we called pop and popper aka Clyde and Ryder made no sound. All of my thoughts began to crumble just like every contingency I'd ever had to maintain sanity. “What is really going on here!!!!” Rosi clinched and stepped back startled by something I'd never done, yes yell. Never had I ever planned to do such a thing especially to my children.

         Violet relaxed her muscles, “at least it's not zombies.” She shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly like a teenager would do in such dire circumstances. A sigh left my lips, she was right. The year had begun with a pandemic and most people survived, maybe this was just a second wave. In the distance the echo of the wind rapped on the door as it begged to get into the house. Something caught me by the throat daring me to breathe as I stared at the patio door, the wind too scratched and clawed, begging to be let inside.

       I let my breath slip out in a whisper, “Violet,” she stood frozen gripped by the same thing that threatened to kill me only moments ago. I grabbed her hand and walked her backwards towards the room that the twins were sitting quietly in. Clyde gestured to his window, Violet and I gasped. No scratching or clawing, no wind metaphor, this one just stared eyes red where whites should be and empty black enormous dilated pupils in place of the iris. Rosi whimpered, “can she see us ma?” The question was odd because I hadn't thought to ask it even of myself. I shushed her and grabbed both boys by the collars this time we went into my master bathroom where luckily I'd opted for zero windows.

      I shut the door and locked it as quietly as possible. Violet tuned the tv to the emergency channel. “Stay at home order is in full effect. No one is to open any windows or doors. If you have a pet door secure it tightly. The military is now in charge if you are caught on the street you will be executed.”

       Executed…...my mind drifted away from whatever else the man was reporting. All I could do  was think, what the hell is going on outside. I was in a tunnel and the outside world seemed to blur and fade in and out. So much so that I began to shake. Then Suddenly I felt a flash of pain across my left cheek, “Ma!” Violet yelled. I became aware that I was not, “sorry, sorry yes Violet.” My vision cleared and I looked around me. Ryder was missing,”where's Ryder!” I yelled. Violet looked horrified,”I tried to stop him, but he heard dad outside. I caught Clyde but Ryder he, he was too…..” Tears filled her eyes. I somehow passed out and allowed Ryder to escape. My mind couldn't decide what to do, but my body had already decided. As if it had a mind all it's own.

         Outside the bathroom I found myself. I could hear screams coming from Ryder. Again my body knew what should be done. I armed myself and went towards the cries that seemed to be emanating from the kitchen. I turned the corner to see Ryder, Colin(husband/father) and some strangers bearing the soulless black eyes, playing tug of war with Ryder. Without hesitation I swung my bat down on the soulless beasts head. It momentarily released Ryder, Colin snatched him all the way inside the house.

        The creature regained its balance as I swung one time, two times, then three times. Blood and other organic matter splattered across the bat, me and kitchen floor. Colin grabbed me from behind and quickly shut the door then deadbolt locked it.

       I could hear them both inhaling deeply, but I could not bring myself to look at them. “Is anyone hurt,” Colin asked, understanding my silence. Ryder answered, “I don't think so dad. I don't feel any pain. How about you dad?” I could feel the sting in my direction. He didn't mean it but I felt it all the same. “I'm fine thanks to you guys,” Colin wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me in close. Taking away a bit of my emotional agony. “Dear where are the other three?” A question I'd hope I answered correctly, “our master bathroom. No windows.” He nodded, grabbed Ryder and continued pulling me along with him.

         Without his arm tethering me to the ground I feared I would drift away and somehow he understood just that. He knocked on the bathroom door, from inside you could hear Rosi whimpering desperately. I loosened Colin's grip. I had to be strong and stand tall to calm my little Rosi or nothing else would. “It's us mom, dad and Ryder. Let us in Violet.” I could hear the hesitation in her movements.

          “You had to go and say, at least there aren't zombies.” A painful chuckle came from her as she opened the door and threw her arms around my waist. Something she hadn't done since she was Rosi's age. Rosi came and pushed Violet out of the way and wrapped herself up in my dress. Clyde ran to Ryder and punched him, hard. “Hey Clyde,” Colin said. I nudged Colin, “ it's ok, saved him from me punching him.”

         Colin fell to the floor.” Colin!” He shook his head, “I'm ok doll just realized what I just survived. And without you guys I don't think I'd be here.” A small tear weld up in the corner of his eye. Rosi found her way out of my dress and fell into Colin's lap.

    In the background I could hear the anchorman saying, “ the military is making its way across the city with automatic weapons stay low to the floor to avoid…..” The report was cut short by sounds of rapid fire from military grade weapons. All together now we listened on the floor of my master bathroom holding each other. Finally silence fell. From the tv the reporter continued.

          He warned that this would not be the end and to stay tuned.

So stay tuned and stay safe……...

September 24, 2020 23:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Vinci Lam
20:37 Sep 28, 2020

Interesting spin from pandemic to zombie. There are several things that I thought about as I was reading it. First, the "trouble" started with a loud noise. I feel like that's a bit of a weird significant first clue because your explanation is the virus (which doesn't really explain the noise). Second, it seemed a bit unbelievable for the news to warn of execution. I think it might work better if you described similarities of the zombies to humans on top of the eye descriptions. That way I can see why the military would shoot anyone ...

Reply

Rachel Rozelle
03:06 Sep 30, 2020

Thanks for the critique. I had to re-read my own work afterwards which is exactly what I need someone's critique to do. I really wanted to keep writing, but for the submission I cut it short. I'm going back to revise it a bit just for myself I guess. Thank you again please read what I have coming up next. Your comments were really helpful.

Reply

Vinci Lam
21:02 Oct 01, 2020

Oh I totally understand what you mean! Especially with anything that requires imaginative world-building, you want to just keep writing to flesh out every detail and it's so hard to contain it in a short story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.