1 comment

Friendship Romance

Disclaimer: I really don’t know much about the non-binary/LGBTQ+  community, so I’m sorry if this isn’t correct. I got two requests for characters and felt like they belonged together, so this story was made! Thank you Akshara Parankusham and an anonymous user for creating these wonderful characters! (If you want to make some yourself, the link is in my bio!)



Mikayla was opening her apartment door when she heard voices from the stairwell. She stepped out of her room to see Mrs. Lambert, the apartment owner, leading someone she hadn’t seen before down the hallway. 

“Hello, Mrs. Lambert,” Mikayla greeted the woman. Mrs. Lambert wasn’t exceptionally old, but she had little wrinkles around her eyes and face that appeared when she smiled, which Mrs. Lambert did quite a lot. 

Mrs. Lambert’s companion had short, dark brown hair with purple streaks, grayish eyes, and gray-tinted skin, wearing a black shirt and black jeans with rips at the knees. 

“Ah, Mikayla! How good to see you, my dear. This is Circa, a new visitor to our town,” Mrs. Lambert said, smiling widely and motioning to her companion. Mikayla smiled warmly at Circa, and Circa shyly smiled in response. 

“Circa will be staying right beside you, Mikayla,” Mrs. Lambert said, opening the apartment next to her.

“I could help you move in if you’d like,” Mikayla offered, talking to Circa. 

“I think that’s a great idea!” Mrs. Lambert answered for Circa. “I’ll leave you two to unpack, then. Mrs. Lambert walked back down the stairs to the lobby, leaving Mikayla and Circa alone in the hall. 

“Thanks for offering to help me,” Circa said quietly. “I don’t have that much stuff though. Just this suitcase and a few boxes in the lobby.” 

“Oh, it’s no problem,” Mikayla shrugged. “I don’t have plans.” Circa smiled, a real smile, and Mikayla noticed how nice Circa’s smile was. 

The pair walked into Circa’s apartment and Mikayla surveyed the space. It was just like any old apartment, plain and boring, but Mikayla saw endless decor potential. 

First, they brought up the rest of Circa’s things, and Mikayla started sorting the items. She noticed Circa had brought lots of books and made a mental note to ask if she could borrow some later. Then, the two bought paint and furniture for the apartment. Mikayla painted the walls a soft spring green while Circa assembled the bookshelves and other furniture. 

After the painting and building were finished, they worked on moving everything where Circa wanted it and putting all the stuff in its place. When the apartment was finally done, Mikayla smiled satisfied with their renovation. 

Circa’s apartment was completely changed. What was once plain and bare was now cheerful and bright, exactly like a home should be. 

“Wow. It looks great,” Circa smiled. Mikayla was glad to see her new neighbor so happy. 

“Doesn’t it? Maybe we should start an interior design business. We’re fantastic at this,” Mikayla agreed, studying Circa’s book collection. It had a few of the classics, like Anne of Green Gables and Where the Red Fern Grows, but also a lot Mikayla hadn’t ever seen before. 

“Hey, um, do you have any plans for tomorrow night? Maybe we could get coffee or something,” Circa said shyly. Mikayla smiled. 

“That sounds great! I know just the place. How about I pick you up at like five forty-five or six o’clock?” Mikayla suggested. Under all that shyness, Circa was kind and considerate. Circa reminded Mikayla of her cousin Shannon, who had died in the army. 

“Yeah, that works. So coffee at five forty-five or six, depending on your schedule?” Circa said. Mikayla nodded and started walking for the door. 

“And thanks, by the way, for helping me unpack. It means a lot that you did that, you know,” Circa said before Mikayla left. She smiled. 

“I’m glad I offered to help. It was a fun way to spend my afternoon,” Mikayla replied, opening the door and waving to Circa as she closed it.

***

The next day, Mikayla picked up Circa at the apartment and drove them both to a small cafe in the center of their little town. The cafe was named Sit & Sip Awhile and offered not only many coffees and teas, but pastries and sandwiches as well. It was a favorite of Mikayla’s and Mrs. Lambert’s. 

It wasn’t too busy, as it was a weekday evening, and Mikayla and Circa found a table easily. Mikayla ordered a mocha coffee, and a blueberry muffin, and Circa ordered a seasonal tea and a slice of cheesecake. 

While they ate, Mikayla and Circa talked about random things, like family members they liked or hated, childhood memories, and things like that. Mikayla enjoyed their little outing and conversation, and the pair made plans to do it again the following Saturday. 

But the Friday before their little date at the cafe, Mikayla broke her ankle going down the apartment stairs and was limping. Since she couldn’t go to the cafe, Circa planned a surprise. When Saturday came around, Circa bought food from Sit & Sip Awhile and brought it back to the apartments. 

Circa brought the food to Mikayla’s apartment, and they talked and ate there. That way Mikayla wouldn’t risk injuring her ankle further, and they could still talk over the food from Sit & Sip Awhile. 

Just before the unofficial date ended, Mikayla confessed she liked him and hoped that they could continue the dates. Circa agreed, and another one was planned. 

These little outings continued for another month or so, and eventually, Circa bought them a tiny townhouse near the cafe. Mrs. Lambert was sad to see them go but understood their need for a bigger house. Mikayla was giddy with excitement when Circa told her the news. Immediately, Mikayla started moving their things over to the townhouse, and they started their new life together. Of course, every relationship has some ups and downs, as Circa and Mikayla soon found out. Nobody is perfect like that, although many wish to be. 

But through those ups and downs, Mikayla realized that Circa was still her best friend and would always be there for her, no matter what problems they faced together.

June 01, 2021 00:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Akshara P
11:20 Sep 30, 2021

Thanks for giving credits, Addie! This was really cute to read! 💗

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.