0 comments

Coming of Age Drama Western

(The story is set in a workplace where the main protagonist is having a hard time. Story shows a workplace-drama).

The conference room buzzed with activity as employees gathered for a quarterly meeting at Anderson Pharmaceuticals. Sarah, the lead researcher, was known for her brilliant mind and groundbreaking discoveries in the field. However, she also had a reputation for being socially awkward.

As Sarah stood at the front of the room, preparing to deliver her presentation, her heart raced. She glanced at the audience, a sea of expectant faces, and cleared her throat. "Um, hello, everyone. Thank you for, uh, being here today."

A few polite nods and smiles greeted her, but the room remained mostly silent. Sarah fidgeted with the remote control in her hand, her fingers trembling slightly.

"I, uh, wanted to talk about the, um, recent developments in our research," she continued. "The, um, results have been quite, uh, promising."

Sarah's words came out in hesitant spurts, punctuated by frequent pauses. She avoided eye contact, preferring to stare at the screen behind her, where a series of slides displayed graphs and data.

One of her colleagues, Mark, leaned over to the person next to him and whispered, "Does she always talk like this in meetings?"

The other person nodded. "Yeah, she's brilliant, but she's definitely socially awkward."

Sarah pressed on with her presentation, stumbling over words and occasionally getting lost in the complexity of her research. She attempted to crack a joke to lighten the mood, but it fell flat.

"Um, so, as you can see," Sarah said, gesturing toward a particularly complicated graph, "the, uh, correlation between the variables is, um, significant."

Her attempt at humor was met with a few polite chuckles, but most of the audience remained stone-faced. Sarah wished she could disappear into the floor.

As the meeting continued, Sarah's social awkwardness became even more apparent during the Q&A session. When asked questions, she often responded with lengthy, technical explanations that left her colleagues perplexed.

"Sarah," one person asked, "can you please explain the practical implications of your research in layman's terms?"

Sarah blinked a few times, her eyes darting around the room as if searching for an escape. "Well, you see, it's, um, quite complex. The, uh, practical applications are, uh, multifaceted, and it's, um, difficult to, uh, simplify."

The silence that followed was palpable. Sarah could feel the eyes of her colleagues on her, and she shifted uncomfortably in her chair.

Another colleague, Jane, tried to come to her rescue. "I think what Sarah is trying to say is that the research has the potential to impact various aspects of our work, but the specifics would require a more detailed discussion."

Sarah nodded in agreement, grateful for Jane's intervention. However, the damage had been done, and she felt a growing sense of unease in the room.

As the meeting finally came to a close, Sarah couldn't help but replay the awkward moments in her mind. She knew that her colleagues respected her intelligence, but she also wished she could communicate more effectively.

Later that day, Sarah found herself in the break room, trying to avoid any further social interactions. She was engrossed in her research notes when Mark approached her.

"Sarah, can I talk to you for a moment?" Mark asked.

Sarah looked up, her anxiety spiking. "Oh, um, sure. What's up?"

Mark hesitated for a moment, choosing his words carefully. "I just wanted to say that your research is amazing. You're incredibly smart, and we all respect your work here."

Sarah's cheeks turned slightly pink, and she mumbled a quick "thank you."

Mark continued, "But I also wanted to say that it might help if you worked on your communication skills during presentations and meetings. Sometimes, it's hard for people to follow what you're saying because it gets too technical."

Sarah's shoulders slumped, and she nodded. "I know. I, uh, struggle with that sometimes. It's just hard for me to, um, simplify things."

Mark offered a reassuring smile. "I get it, but maybe you could practice by explaining your research to someone who's not in the field. It might help you break things down more clearly during meetings."

Sarah appreciated the advice, even though she found the idea of practicing her communication skills daunting. "Thanks, Mark. I'll, um, try to work on that."

Over the following weeks, Sarah made a conscious effort to improve her communication skills. She enlisted Jane's help and began practicing her presentations in front of her, asking for feedback on clarity and simplicity.

As the next quarterly meeting approached, Sarah felt a mixture of nervousness and determination. When the day arrived, she stood before her colleagues once again, armed with a newfound confidence.

"Good morning, everyone," she began, her voice steady. "Today, I'd like to share some exciting developments in our research, and I'll do my best to explain things in a way that's easy to understand."

Sarah's presentation flowed more smoothly this time. She used simpler language, provided real-world examples, and engaged the audience with questions and anecdotes. Her colleagues responded with nods and smiles, appreciating the effort she had put into making her research accessible.

When the Q&A session came, Sarah answered questions with greater clarity and confidence. She welcomed follow-up inquiries and was patient in providing explanations that everyone could grasp.

After the meeting concluded, Mark approached her once again. This time, his smile was genuine. "Sarah, that was a fantastic presentation. You've really improved your communication skills."

Sarah beamed with pride, grateful for Mark's encouragement. "Thank you, Mark. It means a lot to me."

Over time, Sarah continued to refine her communication skills, and her colleagues noticed the positive changes. She still carried an air of social awkwardness, but her dedication to improving her interactions made her an even more respected and admired member of the team.

As Sarah's confidence grew, so did her ability to connect with others, both personally and professionally. She learned that while social awkwardness might always be a part of who she was, it didn't have to define her or limit her potential for success.

September 16, 2023 13:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.