1 comment

Science Fiction

Maggie bounced on her toes as she waited by the door, surprised she was ready first. It felt like a celebration, a celebration Maggie had been planning for years. She knew it was a funeral, but still... They had all been planning for this. They knew this day would come, plans were made and carried out, calculations were quadruple checked. They were ready. Yes, it was time to say goodbye; but it was also time to be proud of all that they had accomplished.

Up in the bathroom, Joshua yanked at his tie knot. Damn thing wasn’t right…again. Gripping the sides of the sink, he took a deep breathe, smoothed his ever unruly hair and tried again. He wanted to look smart, commanding today. He needed to exude confidence to everyone.

Maggie and Joshua rode in silence out to the ceremonial grounds, each lost in his or her own thoughts and wonderings. Maggie gazed out the window, eyes wide in wonder at all they passed. Joshua’s eyes pierced the front windshield as he white-knuckled the steering wheel. Each of their thoughts tumbled fast in their minds.

The greenhouses are in order. They look like a little bubble city to themselves.

Triple locked all doors and windows. Check.

Wish I could stop in and check on the tomatoes.

Alarm and anti-break-in measures activated. Check.

I haven’t been out this far in a while. Stable forty is smaller than I thought.

Pistol loaded and strapped. Extra ammo in the trunk. Check.

Ooh! The new powerplant is impressive!

“It’s not too late, you know,” Joshua interrupted her thoughts.

Maggie turned her attention to Joshua beside her and knew that his thoughts were the exact opposite of hers. He was thinking of all the worst case scenarios that would come after this funeral while she was thinking about all the possibilities. If “necessity is the mother of all invention,” then preparing for this funeral had necessitated the greatest inventions ever; and Maggie knew she and her fellow scientists and engineers had risen to the challenge. She knew Joshua didn’t doubt her; he doubted the humanity of human beings.

“Not too late for what?” Maggie feigned ignorance.

Joshua took a deep breath. “I can still get you to the last bunker. I reserved you a spot.”

“Just me?”

“Your parents…” Joshua paused. “I need to be topside in case…”

“As do I,” Maggie cut off the argument. “Besides the calculations are perfect. I know the scientist who quadruple checked them. We’ll be safe outside.”

Maggie and Joshua thought they were arriving early, but the parking lots were all full. People had been shuttling to the site for hours. Maggie knew most people intended to watch the event from underground bunkers or their homes, hoping to be safe behind locked doors and radiation shields. Maggie didn’t believe the shields were necessary, but living with Joshua, she couldn’t fault them for the locked doors.

Joshua and Maggie mingled with the people they knew, partaking in food in drinks provided. Joshua never quite enjoyed anything, but Maggie laughed as if she was at a cocktail party. Finally, it was time to begin; and Maggie and Joshua took their places on the stage. Both were so nervous, with excitement, with fear, with the unknown.

The ceremony was a blur. There was music and poetry read. Art was presented. There were speeches made by politicians, community activists, law enforcement, and scientists. They repeated all the plans that had been made and accomplished. They were trying, for the final time, to ease people’s fears of what to come so to, hopefully, keep the peace.

The ceremony was broadcasted worldwide.

Maggie knew there were plans in case the speeches and celebrations didn’t work. She knew the placement of all of the law enforcement. The distance between her and Joshua shrank with each passing minute. Maggie began to wonder which one of them was moving the most.

The final thirty minutes had arrived.

Soft music was played as religious leaders of every religion found in the community lead prayers and readings for comfort and peace in small and large groups around the amphitheater.

Maggie chatted with her fellow scientists about latest developments. Joshua conferred with the other law enforcement heads and checked everyone’s placement. Neither left the other’s side.

As the minutes ticked down on the giant screen to the side of the stage, Maggie grew agitated while Joshua grew still. Maggie’s excitement was threatened by fear she had ignored for years. The thought she had never allowed herself to think thrust itself into her mind.

What if the calculations were wrong? What if their plans fell apart?

Maggie looked at Joshua. When he looked into her eyes, she knew he knew what she was thinking.

He whispered into her ear, “Trust yourself. We’ve been preparing for this.”

Maggie’s shoulders loosened a little, but then…

“Whatever happens, stay by my side. I’ve got you.”

Maggie knew Joshua meant to comfort her, but it served to remind her of the uncertainty of the situation they were in. Maggie forced her shoulders down and a smile on her face.

Three minutes remained until the calculated time of the event. All banners were pulled down. The screen was lowered. The planners wanted nothing to block the view. Even the stage was easily flattened. The giant amphitheater that had been created for the day gave everyone the same view.

And what a view it was! The valley spread below them. Lush green forests crept up the sides of the foothills. From here the mighty river that rushed below looked like a babbling brook.

Sunlight sparkled off of every surface…for the last time.

Maggie and Joshua turned and looked out over the valley they had both adopted as their own when they got married. They had still been adjusting to life in the foothills when the world got the news. They had talked often about the timing. How long had the governments known? Were their job offers really just coincidental, or had they been brought here specifically to work on crisis interventions? Neither of them were naïve to believe they hadn’t been brought there for specific purposes. It didn’t matter, though, they were glad to be a part of the solution instead of waiting to see what they were or were not told.

Two minutes to go, and Maggie’s faith in science was wanning. She questioned, too, her faith in humanity. Joshua’s faith in science, well in Maggie, remained steadfast. They were prepared for the event. Humanity could go on. Joshua still had little faith in human beings to act rationally and for the good of the community. Humanity could go on, but would it?

One minute to go, and Maggie poked Joshua’s side. He still hadn’t put on the googles that had been provided for everyone. His were still perched on his head.

“Your hair is fine. Please cover your eyes,” Maggie teased.

Thirty seconds to go. Joshua looped one arm tightly around Maggie’s shoulders. Maggie returned with a tight squeeze around Joshua’s waist. They were in this together.

10

9

8

7…things seemed to be getting brighter

6…definitely getting brighter

5…good thing we have these googles

4…are the googles enough

3… “Joshua, shut your eyes just in case.”

2…this is too much

1…Maggie and Joshua could feel flames licking their eyeballs. The air was hotter than the hottest summer day.

The heat and light lasted longer than expected. It was becoming unbearable. The scientists were wrong! They couldn’t survive the event. They were at their own funeral! Oh, why had they not gone into a bunker as many had.

Maggie and Joshua turned and gripped each other tightly, faces turned away from the sun. At least they would go together. Tears ran down both faces, mingling together before dripping off a chin here and a cheek there and watering the grass below.

And suddenly it was over.

It was the exact opposite.

It was the darkest night. The air temperature dropped from summer to fall in an instant.

Both Maggie and Joshua refused to let go of the other, but each took a shaky hand to remove the googles from their eyes. Both looked around and up.

“There’s no moon. I thought we had a full moon today,” Joshua noted at the same time Maggie exclaimed, “Look at all of the stars.”

Maggie giggled, and Joshua sighed.

“Dead sun means no light for the moon to reflect,” Maggie explained, “but oh the starlight.”

Maggie and Joshua shared a quick kiss before getting down to business of keeping humanity together after the death of the sun, never letting go of the other’s hand.

January 13, 2024 04:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Joe Sweeney
03:34 Jan 18, 2024

A well written story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.