My Travel Back Home

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a proposal. ... view prompt

4 comments

General

'Ah! the long week is over. Freedom for the weekend!.' It was 8.30 pm when Mansi and Ranjali left for their home after a tiresome week. They were both fresh graduates from the same college, they met for the first time during their interview. It didn't take them long to become friends. They were recruited as assessment interns with no stipend until accepted. Their travel took more than an hour by metro. They soon became accustomed to the working of the company. They sometimes take the bus to the nearest metro station, as they were free of cost for the woman, it made their travel easier.


'Gosh! we are finally getting a holiday tomorrow. What are your plans, Mansi?', Ranjali was curious to hear what Mansi's plans were for the weekend. 'Bro, I am gonna go home straight and will sleep until it is noon tomorrow.', though Mansi's reply wasn't as interesting as she had expected, they both chuckled and empathized over their condition. 'Aree yaar, they should have paid us some stipend if they are gonna make us work for so long', Ranjali kept whining all their way to the bus stand and till they were seated on the bus.


The metro station was merely five stops away but at the very next stop, an old lady entered the bus. She seemed tired, she carried her half sold vegetables with her. She seems to be looking for a place to sit, both Mansi and Ranjali were tired too from the week-long work, but despite their tiredness, Mansi gave up her seat for the old lady. ' We will get down in less than four stops. It will be fine.' Mansi replied Ranjali for a question that was never asked. The lady must be a street vendor, which means she had to work the whole day under the sun and Mansi had a day within the ac rooms of the company. She felt happy to do the act of kindness, also it saved her from hearing any more of the complaints from Ranjali.


As the bus traveled towards the metro stops, there was an increase in the rush on the bus. Mansi had to move back to give the passengers more space to leave. It was finally their stop, both Masi and Ranjali got down and while they were getting into the metro station Mansi was stopped by the old lady for whom she had given up her seat earlier. Looking at Mansi's professional attire the lady might have thought that she doesn't understand Hindi, the lady gave her small chocolate. This incident brought a smile to her face and since she was really hungry from the work, Mansi accepted the chocolate offered to her, and just so the old lady took Nazar from Mansi and left for her home. They never exchanged their names or any other details, they left as they met.


Mansi and Ranjali were perplexed by the incident. When Mansi was overjoyed, Ranjali was advising her. 'Tu bachi hai?(Are you a kid?), don't you know you should not accept anything from strangers, and you are getting so happy over it that too.'. 'Okay! you don't get a share.', Mansi was so happy that day she started behaving and talking like a five-year-old child. Ranjali hit herself thinking, why did she even try. The metro was almost empty that day with very few passengers. They resorted to their all-time favorite gossips about the corporate world, the works, their schedule, and their university. They were suddenly interrupted by a woman on the metro, she was also returning from her work. She asked about their college and told them her baby girl studies there, in fact, she is a fresher there.


They didn't know much about each other, but they were discussing various career options. Coincidently, her daughter is also learning business management at the university. She asked them for help and guidance for her daughter in her search for an internship. Mansi gladly gave her number to her and asked her to contact her for any help whatsoever she may need in the future. She got down at the very next station, biting goodbyes. And this time it was the stares of Ranjali, 'Chill, It's no big deal see we made a new friend and in a matter of time we can help that kid too.' Ranjali was not satisfied by Mansi's reply, however, she didn't try to correct her this time(since she realized there is no point of explaining it.)You are a stubborn brat!, thought Ranjali.


A few minutes later Mansi was tapped by someone, 'Hello! You are students of Asian Business School right. I heard you talking to her. I am Nikita, I am also a past ABS student, from the 2006 passing out batch,.', and just like that, they shook the hands of each other and introduced themself. Nikita was also professionally dressed, she was returning from her new office but got late the day. Her car broke down in the middle so she had to resort to the metro for the rest of her travel. They had a pleasant chat, Mansi also told her about the no stipend work she is doing with her friend. 'Ha, I know many companies do not consider us employable since we are from a private university. I have been there you know.' In the end, she said' I liked your attitude Mansi, you are different from others.' She passed her visiting card and asked her to call her on Sunday. She wanted her to join her company.


Throughout the journey, she meets three new people, a vegetable vendor who gave chocolate for giving up her seat for her. A woman who sought out her advice for her daughter's future. And old alumni from her college who gave her a warm proposal for a job. The journey was a great experience for her and with each visitor in her life, she felt more optimistic towards herself. On any usual day, she would be listening to songs through her headsets but this day it was different she spoke and made friends and connections. It was a journey well spent. She got home around 9.40 pm where her parents were waiting for her worried sick. And dinner of the day tasted even great with stories of the day.

July 12, 2020 12:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Deborah Angevin
11:06 Jul 23, 2020

The first sentence is very relatable (and hooked me to keep on reading!) Would you mind checking my recent story out, "Red, Blue, White?" Thank you!

Reply

Mrudula Mohan
15:52 Jul 23, 2020

Thanks! Yes I would 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Quill Porter
23:08 Jul 22, 2020

while the story was a bit all over the place, it was good to read. Great job!

Reply

Mrudula Mohan
17:04 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you, Quill Porter

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.