An Old Acquaintance

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

2 comments

Teens & Young Adult Friendship Romance

“Yeah, that’s exactly what I wanted him to realize, but on his own obviously. Otherwise it’s not worth it, you know?” I said to Marie as we walked down Truman Blvrd., past half-drunken heaps of younglings and the familiar bearded man, yielding the eery “Apocalypse” poster out of some 70s L.A. film. 

“Robert would never do that though, he’s too much of a-“ Suddenly we all found ourselves frozen alongside Marie, who was staring straight ahead, mouth wide open. 

As I looked before us, I found myself gazing once more at Walter Rees, an ex- friend of mine from what must’ve been 6 or 7 years ago, when we were completing our Master’s in Theoretical Physics at a Swedish University that I could care less to attempt pronouncing, let alone spelling right now. 

“Drew? Wow, this is, well it’s crazy. I haven’t seen you in I think 7 years maybe.” He remembers me, this is so awkward. 

I could feel everyone’s eyes turn from Walter to me as I formulated a response, “Yeah, it’s been a long time. How’ve you been?” 

“Okay, I guess. I’m still at Caymen Labs, believe it or not. And still working with Wes and Luis too.”

“Louis, wow. He, uh, he still works there? I thought he wanted to become head researcher for Dritter.” Shit. Does he know about Louis and I? Fuck. Did Louis tell him, I never bothered to ask. I could tell he was trying to piece together how I knew so much about his best friend. “Back when Dritter was working in Malta. I remember ‘cuz, um, well Dritter came to visit our lab since he was hiring and, and he mentioned Louis… and you, of course.”

He took a moment to reply, “Right. Yeah, well Louis, he’s back in France now actually. I don’t think you’ve ever met Luis, he’s a new researcher. But, um, you might remember him from when he did an apprenticeship back when we were all in Sweden. Although, eh worked mostly in the undergraduate labs, so… You’re probably remembering the other Louis, Haanson.” 

“Yeah that’s the one. Did you say France?” My body felt cold. He went back to France? Why? When? I felt a tug on my right shoulder. It was Helene indicating that she and Marie were going to go ahead to the restaurant and that they’d see me soon. 

“Don’t keep her too long Walt!” Marie yelled across a group of men in suits, as she winked at me and then at the men who smiled generously back at her. 

As the laughs and commotion settled down, we turned back to each other.

“Sorry if I’m keeping you. I would usually say bye by now, you know encourage you to catch up with them but… I haven’t seen you in so long. To be honest actually, I’m really shocked that I even could run into you, here in L.A. of all places.” 

“Yeah, I know. I barely see anyone I know from over here, even though everyone says this town is smaller than it seems,” I said. He was staring so strongly at me, I felt myself blush a bit. I don’t even like him, but this conversation… it’s so awkward. 

Walter, you need to stop staring so desperately at me. Ugh, I wish he heard that one thought but I could tell nothing was going on up there. I feel like a doll being perused for all the mistake blemishes or beauty marks that actually make me more “valuable.” Normally Walter and I would have 2 to 3 minute conversations, and we’d be with other friends so I never realized until now how excruciatingly disastrous it would be for just the two of us to be alone together. 

Is he going to say anything? Hello? Walter? Ugh, right he can’t hear me again! 

Out of the silence, he muttered, “Are you working for a lab right now, or a University? I remember you wanted to work as a professor for a bit until you could secure enough funds for the research you had been working on with Professor Sheen.” 

Oh my gosh. Why does he remember so much about me? I mean, I remember a lot about him but that’s only because I generally remember a lot about everyone. I don’t think everyone does that, do they? Shit, is it my turn to speak? 

“University… ahem, sorry. Uh, I work at the University right now. Professor Sheen retired a while ago, back when we were still at the labs actually I think. After we all graduated I left for the Netherlands,” my throat suddenly tensed, “and I lived there for about 3 years.”

“Wow,” he gasped and took a step back. For a brief moment I wished that he would stay back, but he then approached me again with the same shocked expression. “3 Years? That’s insane! Wow,” he repeated. 

“Yeah, yeah. Well, it was a big project I was working on at the time and… even after it was done, I took some personal time working, teaching, settling down even a bit. You know how it is moving around, getting used to certain places.”

“Yeah, yeah,” he said less assuredly. “I mean, I’m more of a rinse-repeat sort of guy… I sort of stay in the same place, if it has what I need then I have no reason to leave you know. I’ve only ever lived in 2 places- Sweden and here. So, when you say that you were there for… pfff, I mean 3 years, was it?” I nodded. Walt took another breath at this revelation and continued on, “Well, it just seems… crazy I guess. Weird, maybe, not crazy. You know what I mean.”

He stared at me again, this time only for a brief moment. He then looked down, as if ashamed by something he did…or didn’t do.  

“Hey, you didn’t, by any chance… I mean only ‘cuz I know Louis was working in Amsterdam at the time, see him there, did you? I mean like, while you were working at the University ‘cuz I know he was working there for a bit. Unless you guys maybe, I don’t know lived together or something? To save money, I mean.” He laughed a bit at the end and took a breath of air. Well, if he didn’t know at the beginning of this conversation he definitely knows now. What can I say, I’m too tired to lie and he’s too… awake to give up on his hunch. 

“Yeah, you know our paths crossed a bunch, “ I said. 

He stared at me, as if I was required to give more details… so, naturally (foolishly (regretfully)), I did. “We actually… did live in the same building for a while,” I said slowly, hoping it would lessen the blow. 

“Oh,” he screeched. 

“Yeah… um, he knew someone in the building that had an apartment for rent so he let me in on the deal. It really helped at the time.” He’s definitely going to ring Louis now. He’s going to say he’s seen me, that he knows we were in a relationship… and Louis, he’s going to know that I told him even though I never uttered the words: We were in lo- 

“I cannot believe it. I mean, wow. He never said a thing to me. I even… ahem, asked about you, you know. Only ‘cuz of the fling we had back then. We all parted ways as if we barely knew one another. But those 2 years, I mean we were all like a big family. What with August and Marie and You and I… and Louis and Christy and Susanna and Willa and-“ He continued to name all the exes of Louis, but I stopped listening when my pocket began to buzz. 

I plucked my phone out and answered, “Hello?” 

“Where are you? We just sat down. The walk is much further than we expected. By the time you get here, the food will already be in goodie bags!,” Marie whined. 

“I’m sorry, sorry. I’ll be there soon. I’ll run. Don’t worry, just order me a hamburger please! And fries, and something bubbly… Bye!” 

Walter was still frozen from when I cut him off.

“Sorry Walt, I’ve got to go now,” suddenly I felt regretful. An immense weight from the memories we shared back in Sweden rushed back… to my cheeks, to my hands and to my stomach. He was an old friend, from a time before I knew Louis like I do now. It hurt to remember anything before then. He reminded me of that. 

“Next week we should meet up for lunch or something. Tonight was really… hectic. Is your phone number still the same -477?” I beckoned from a few steps away. 

We both laughed at our inside joke and he smiled back warmly, as if the conversation we just had was now nullified. “Yeah, it is. It’s good to see you again Drewie.” 

I couldn’t help but gush. “You too Walter. Talk soon.” 

January 16, 2021 02:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Louise Coley
17:25 Jan 21, 2021

Congrats on your first submission! A solid start and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next XD Since I was paired with you for the critique circle this week, I hope you don't mind if I leave some (hopefully) constructive feedback... Your dialogue sounds natural and believable when I read it aloud, which is great. You've added emphasis on certain words to direct the readers interpretation and pauses which really help build that sense of tension and awkwardness. You've managed to create a sense of flusteredness in the narrator a...

Reply

E B
19:45 Jan 21, 2021

Thank you so much! I definitely agree on your points as to the dialogue style matching up perhaps with another category. I was deciding between this one and the 1 you mentioned but couldn't quite choose. As for the other point, I see what you mean. I probably should've had him ask more questions along the lines of, "How did you know he wanted to work for Dritter? Jeez, I guess I didn't realize how close you were to Louis" or "I thought you hated him." Something that indicated the contradiction of her knowing so much and his bewilderment. ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.