Reflection Of Independence

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story that involves a reflection in a mirror.... view prompt

0 comments

Inspirational Fiction Crime

She stared wide-eyed at the image that formed before her eyes on the reflective piece of glass that stood at one corner of her apartment's bedroom.

Her brown hair overflowed almost reaching her hips. The black "decent" shirt tucked inside her knee length pencil skirt.

Was it the dress? Her curvy, sharp features? Or was it the mindset of her boss?

She couldn't het her mind wrapped around the new routine as a young intern in the corporate sector. Wake up early, exercise, shower, have breakfast, work and then....squirm and shift under the uncomfortable gaze and inappropriate touches of the Manager.

It was her first job. She couldn't risk it. Her one side of the mind said so. While the other had a completely different opinion. Her one risk taking step could secure a safer environment for her successors and fellow colleagues.

She looked at herself once again. Her face, her attitude, as if all written over her face and body. No it wasn't how she acted. It never was. If politeness was considered to be her weakness, one couldn't possibly be anymore wrong. The reflection was hers, it was her body and only she had right over herself. It belongs to her and her only. And for her right, she would fight back.

Her mind flew back to when she was fifteen. She was like any other teenage girl of her age. Her body of a little girl slowly evolving into that of a woman. Not only did the menstrual cycle confirmed her of this development, but also the cat call from a man old enough to be her father. His comment regarding her womanly breasts apparently made her shocked and that was the day when her self consciousness started sabotaging her free, confident self. She was never the same bubbly, happy girl. She seemed to have "grown up" now. Some blamed her over that incident directing her to act more appropriately or wear proper clothing so that she doesn't end up catching unwanted attention. She wanted to argue. But she kept her mouth shut. She wanted to say that she wasn't even thinking about seeking attention. She just wore what she wanted to, what she felt comfortable with. But unfortunately the thoughts of the passers by were the person who defined the comfort code.

Light touches, not so mild comments were often thrown at her. And as per other girls it was pretty common and the best solution was to not to lay attention to those jerks. Not merely strangers on the streets, but sometimes the well known, usually respected faces were even more dangerous. Hiding behind the curtains of graceful acts, wearing the facade of lies in order to not to reveal the unpleasant character that lay beneath, it was quite often an occurrence and once again, UNTOLD or UNHEARD.

Some even went to the extent of romanticising those moments when those deeds were done by pretty faces.

"Oh, he/she took an interest in you."

No, they didn't want it. They would rather remain unnoticed, at the back of the crowd than to entertain those interests.

And still we dare to ask why the progress of the world is slow.


She could almost see thousand conflicted thoughts, many voices caught dilemma.

And that one woman whose dark brown orbs she was staring into has the potential to speak, to advocate for all of them.


So be it, then.

Amen.


She didn't need sympathy. She needed justice. Not only for herself but for all those protests and arguments hushed and silenced. She wanted to speak for her, for all of them. Men, women, non-binary......for all those humans, who were diverted from attaining their deserved rights and respect.

It was a time to put a full stop in the turning of harassments into regular incidents that can be easily neglected or burried deep in fear of shame and uncalled for questions. The need of stopping the normalisation of such heinous actions. These actions are crimes and those who commit crimes have no other identity but that of a criminal. And criminals deserves to be punished. But of course she can not turn the world upside down in one day. No one can. But what she can do is most definitely take a step towards it, churning the wheel nudging and encouraging others to come forward and do the same.

When the army of revolutionaries will form a peaceful alliance but strong enough to ward off the wrong deeds, renaissance is meant to come. The world is bound to change.


She walked upto her desk, collecting the purse and mobile that buzzed with the messages of her harasser nagging about her whereabouts and often threatening her to keep shut to secure a healthy financial future in between the frustrated texts.

No. She won't budge anymore.

She quickly took a screenshot of all those messages, first time in two years smirking to herself in booming confidence.

"Let's see who wins. The right or the wrong." After a satified glance she took of herself in the mirror she walked down to the street and straight to the nearest police station hiring a cab.

After the filing of her complaint and the assurance that her case will be dealt with immediately and most effectively, she left the premises. On the other side of the street was a giant shop, with all glass large window panes with beautiful display of books. She could clearly see herself, her reflection. The early wrinkles of fear had started disappearing and the under eyes of silent sobs night after night started to fade. She beamed with a new found glory that reeked of independence; freedom from the cluthes of humiliation. She decided to pay a small visit to the little shop in order to hype up her mood. Walking down the aisle with rows of books on her either side, her eyes got stuck to a particular book. The beautiful works of sky and silver on the cover page made it all the more illusive and enticing. On it was a drawing of a mirror beside a wide open window, the title on the top said.....


Going straight upto the counter, she carefully placed the book which she holding close to her chest. "I will take it"


The cashier mirrored the smile she was wearing.

"The book is 'Reflection of Independence' and the cost will be $5.11"


July 05, 2021 07:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.