Sinister Talk

Submitted into Contest #119 in response to: Write a story that involves eavesdropping.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction

The house on Elm is quiet, no sounds are heard expect the ones coming from the basement of 2141 Elm Street.

RaeLynn, who lives on the 3rd floor of 2141 Elm Street is getting home from work when upon entering the front door hears noises coming from the basement.

RaeLynn goes to the basement door, opens it and hears people talking. She can't make out what they are saying , so she goes down a couple of steps and sees three men talking. She notices one of the men has a gun and is waving it around.

The man with the gun is angrily talking about cleaning up this mess, following a person, teaching them a lesson and making sure said person never mentions a word about the Ortiz family.

One of the guys asks the one with the gun what they are going to do? His responds is to bring said person back to the basement and teaching said person a lesson he will never forget or else said person's family will die one by one.

RaeLynn still overhearing the conversation is mortify by what she heard. She quietly stands up, goes up the stairs, as she is walking up RaeLynn bangs her foot on the steps.

She pauses, the men stop talking. RaeLynn listens, no sound is coming. One of them shouts "who's there?"

RaeLynn doesn't answer. She waits a moment then quietly rushes up the stairs, RaeLynn hears one of the men running up the stairs. RaeLynn quickly hides.

RaeLynn, from her hiding spot sees the man, who is not much older than herself, holding a gun ready to shoot. He looks everywhere, but doesn't find her, a few minutes later the man goes back to the basement. Raelynn goes to her apartment.

The three men leave the basement and exit 2141 as if nothing is wrong. Raelynn hears them leave. She breathes a sigh of relief.

The next day as RaeLynn os getting ready for work, she hears on the news a man by the name of Diego Martinez was reported kidnapped, the news shows a picture of the kidnappers and RaeLynn is shocked.

One of the kidnappers is the same man from the basement. RaeLynn sat on her bed watching the news. She doesn't know if she should go to the cops and tell them everything she heard.

RaeLynn paces back and forth think about what to do. She picks her phone, fails 911, then shuts her phone off. She thinks about leaving an anonymous tip, but stops and says "what if the Ortiz family has cops working for them?"

RaeLynn jumps when her phone begins to ring, she picks up her phone and answers it, on the other line is her best friend Skylar.

"Hi Skylar."

"Did you see the news? Mr. Martinez's son was kidnapped."

Realization hit RaeLynn. Mr. Martinez is the owner of the grocery store on 5th and Delaney. Everybody in the neighborhood goes to that store.

"How is Mr. Martinez doing?"

"Not good. He knows it was the Ortiz family, but he can't prove it and he's afraid they are going to come after him, and the rest of his family. He's pleading that anybody with information come forward."

"I don't understand. Why would the Ortiz family come after Diego?"

"Who knows? Anyway I will see you at work."

"Okay. Bye."

RaeLynn hung up. She didn't want to tell Skylar what she heard because then she is going to tell her to go to the cops and that is the last thing RaeLynn wants to do.

The three men drive up to 2141 Elm Street, just as RaeLynn is leaving for work. She opens the door, walks outside and sees the men. RaeLynn recognizes the man who chased her up the stairs, she thanks god the man doesn't recognize her.

The men stare at her as she leaves, they say nothing to her. RaeLynn quickly walks away. She reaches for her phone and realizes she left it on the counter of her kitchen.

RaeLynn quickly walks back to her apartment building, when she enters, she hears the men talking, they are in the basement. This time she hears someone else who is struggling to talk.

RaeLynn says to herself "they have Diego." She hears more.

"Hector, he doesn't know anything."

"Miguel, he was caught red handed stealing from Señor Ortiz, and nobody crosses the Ortiz family."

"I know, he hasn't said a word."

"Alex, go upstairs and make sure no one sees us."

Alex heads upstairs, RaeLynn rushes to her apartment, she opens the door enters, and quickly bolts the door shut.

RaeLynn hears no one coming, she breathes a sigh of relief again. She goes to look for her phone and finds it on the kitchen counter.

RaeLynn dials Skylar's number, she's hearing footsteps coming. She turns her cell off and goes to hide.

The footsteps are coming closer and closer, RaeLynn's heart begins to beat faster and faster. She is scared and alone.

RaeLynn hears the guy name Alex at her front door, she is quiet and still. Alex nudges the door knob, the door is double locked. RaeLynn is grateful she listened to her mother and got the double lock.

A few moments later Alex leaves. RaeLynn is calm, but jumps when her cell buzzes. She looks down and sees a text from Skylar.

"RaeLynn, I'm worried about you. You're never late to work."

RaeLynn is sending a text to Skylar telling her everything she knows to help Diego.

"Sky, I'm trapped in my apartment. Diego is in the basement with three men Hector, Miguel, and Alex, members of the Ortiz family. Help me I'm scared."

Skylar immediately replies back.

"I'm calling the police. Stay in your apartment."

"Okay."

Fifteen minutes later RaeLynn hears police sirens. She goes to her window and sees the police coming.

RaeLynn sees the police rushing out of their cars and immediately takes Alex into custody, then they head inside. RaeLynn unlocks her door and tip toes outsides and sees a bunch of cops subduing Hector and Miguel.

They go down to the basement and finds Diego. RaeLynn goes down stairs, she tells the cops who she is and what she knows.

RaeLynn tells the cops everything. She sees a beaten Diego coming up. RaeLynn goes to Diego and tells him how sorry she is. He tells her not to worry.

The cops continued to question RaeLynn, she tells them what went down, and what she heard.

When the cops finish questioning RaeLynn, they tell her she saved a lot of lives and the Ortiz family would have killed many more people to get what they wanted.

RaeLynn is shocked, scared, but happy she saved lives. Skylar rushes to RaeLynn and gives her a hug.

November 10, 2021 22:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Leonard Mills
14:04 Nov 19, 2021

A nice piece of work, well done. I spotted a few typos, para 5; mortify > mortified. I feel I want to know more about RaeLynn too, before I get into the story; why doesn't she call the police immediately? why doesn't she go back down into the basement to investigate? I like the dialogue, easy to follow and believable. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.