Apple pie bliss

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship

The smell of apple cinnamon filled my nostrils as I climbed out of bed lazily. Heading to the bathroom I peeked in my sister's room to see if she was awake. Sleeping like a baby I proceeded to tiptoe in her room and mess with her. The wind whistled through her open window making my body shutter from the coolness. Finding a string on her dresser I dangled it on her face making her slap herself. Quickly becoming aware of what was going on she jumped up chasing me down the hallway.

Finally washing up I made my way to the kitchen with the rest of my family. Mom was making her famous pancakes while daddy read the newspaper like they do every Saturday.The Apple Cinnamon candles my mother brought was making my stomach rumble...Finally the food was done and I was ready to eat.

 Today my best friend Gwen and I were going to the apple orchard, a day away from the Millers. Amy my sister had her own plans with her boyfriend Jason so I was excited to be doing something without them. The song "Joyous" from Boys 2 Men was blaring out Gwen speakers as she honked the horn. Grabbing my jacket I kissed my parents on the cheeks and rushed out the door before they could ask me to do anything.    

We pulled up 20 minutes later having to park down the road, the roads were filled with people walking. Fall was my favorite time of the year couples were cuddling, children were happy and most of all it kicked off Football season. Making our way to the sidewalk we followed the large crowd. The different color leaves were falling from the trees, making me stop to enjoy the scenery around me.

We grabbed a basket and made our way through the maze. The apples were so beautiful I almost didn't want to pick them, but that apple pie I was going to make later changed my mind. Jessica I'm really glad we came today said Gwen it was much needed. Smiling I nodded my head yea I know what u mean, the kids were running and laughing as they filled their baskets with apples.

The sign read only 10 apples a person so that everyone could get some and kids under 9 had to have a chaperone with them. We were close to that limit so we decided to make our way out of the maze and onto the grass where they were putting on a contest later. Deciding I had more than enough apples to spare for my pie I took one out the basket. The juices filled my mouth making me excited, I love to eat especially fruit and apples were my favorite. Gwen looked at me and started laughing. You couldn't wait a couple of hours before you started munching could you. We laughed in unison with each other. She knows that I love my apples.

Soon they were ready to start the show, some people brought their blankets to lay on the grass. They read stories allowed for the kids, and some people did presentations on the importance of apples and how they can bring a family together. Also they were handing out booklets that showed everything you can make using apples and the ways to make them. Soon it was time for the contest to begin, placing our basket on the table Gwen and I got in line for the sag race. Know we didn't win but it was fun to try.

Next in line was the apple eating contest, you had 2 minutes to eat as many apples as you could and the winner would get an apple medal. Gwen stayed out of that one but I was ready. Eating the apples like my life depended on it I chomped down as many as I could. The timer went off as they told everyone to stand behind their chair while they counted. Yes I screamed while they placed the medal around my neck, I no I'm a teenager and shouldn't be this happy but this only happens one time a year. Did I mention how much I love apples and this fall weather makes me so giddy. 

We headed back out to the road where we parked our car at. Instead of leaving we just sat there taking in the scene of it all. I'm so glad we got out today Gwen said just us too anyone else probably would have spoiled our day. Bursting into laughter we knew exactly who she was talking about, our other friend Jess the complainer. Don't get me wrong we loved Jess but she complained about everything, and she's high maintenance so she would have spoiled this day for us.

Finally we were ready to go, pulling out slowly to make sure not to hit pedestrians walking by. Soon we were pulling up to my house. I got out of the car and waved goodbye. The house was quiet when I walked in, there was a note on the table. We went out for a few errands and will be back later love you Mom and Dad. Taking my jacket off I walked into the kitchen and got started on making a couple of apple pies. Turning my iPod on I danced slowly to the music and started cutting the apples up. Finally done I placed them in the oven for 1 hour  and went upstairs to get comfortable in my pajamas.

The timer went off as I heard my Mom "yelling" Jessica sweety were home. Making my way downstairs I went into the kitchen to take my pies out. What smells so good my father asked? Wash your hands I said and have a seat. I put 4 bowls out, careful not to forget to put my sister a piece up. This look wonderful, my parents said as I sat the bowls in front of them. I prayed out loud and we began to eat, the taste was unexplainable. Better than I could have imagined. We sat around the table eating and laughing about how our day went.

 Completely full from eating 2 pieces each we went our separate ways. I retreated to my bedroom to watch t.v, but after 5 minutes the t.v was watching me sleep. This day was short of amazing and I was a happy camper.

October 15, 2020 19:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.