2 comments

African American Drama Christmas

        June Denton was thinking about her father, Ronald Denton, again. How he had died from a long battle with colon cancer, and how all of the money and fame she had amassed did not do anything to save him. She put so much time, effort, energy, and love into finding a way to save her daddy. All of the doctors, specialists, oncologists, physical therapists, nor her huge donations mattered. She had all but begged her fans to donate to the foundation she started in his name. She had taken so much time off of the road, canceled so many shows, and nearly received a lawsuit from the state of Texas for falsely advertising an appearance at the Super Bowl that she canceled at the last minute.

He died, and all that was left of him was this bird he left her with. Dillie was a cheerful, colorful, energetic, but very loud budgie that her dad loved until his death. Every picture of Ronald had this blue, green, and yellow bird in it. Dillie was his pride and joy. Ronald taught the bird how to talk and sing. They had a special song they would sing every morning when Ronald was getting ready for work until he became very ill and the singing ceased. 

This morning, while she untwisted her hair and fluffed her tight coils in her vanity mirror, her daddy was on her mind. She looked into the brightly lit mirror and began speaking to herself,

“Dad, why couldn’t you have stayed a little bit longer?” Tears began to fall from her eyes, as she began to see how much she looked like Ronald.

“I did everything I could. I hope you know that daddy. I miss you and I hate that you left me here with this bird. I do not know how to love it. In fact, I hate it. Every time I see it, it reminds me of you, and it keeps singing that stupid song. I have to go to work now, the entertainment industry does not care if I am grieving. My fans need me to show up, and that is one thing you taught me to do; no matter how hard things get, they can and will get better, so keep going. Good-bye, daddy.” It was pointless to draw any under-eye make-up, for she knew she would cry more than a few times today. Besides, it has only been three weeks since Ronald died, and she was up for a television experience with Wendy Williams. The phone began to blare Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas Is You.

“Hello?”

“Hey June D, it’s the producer. We just wanted to let you know that we are ready to receive you when you arrive. We will go over all of the interview questions and get you into hair and make-up as quickly as possible. Any immediate demands?” Kelly’s voice began to shake a bit. June could tell he was under a lot of pressure.

“No, but thanks Kells.”

“All right June D. See you soon.”

June took in a deep breath and beckoned for her assistants to help her pack and load up. Nancy and Allison were scrambling around, but getting the job done. Nancy leaned over and whispered to Allison, who was busy packing toiletries,

” Do you think we should tell her that Dillie ran out of food and water?”

Allison replied, “No. Not you. Let me do it. You are fairly new, and she will probably chew you out. I have got this. Just finish packing up her stuff in the Gucci bag. I will be back.”

She dumped what she had into the orange and pink bag and walked downstairs to meet June in the Azalea garden. June was obviously crying, but Allison knew better than to ask her to open up, June did not share her feelings, let alone allow anyone to believe she had feelings at all. She cleared her throat,

“Miss June D, we noticed that Dillie ran out of food and water. Would you like for me to replenish it for you?”

“Who?”

Allison was confused, “Dillie, he ran out of food and water. There is no food in the pantry for him, either. I can run to the store and grab him what he needs and a few treats for the 3 days we will be away. Only, if you want me to Miss June D.”

June was becoming more vexed. Wiping her tears away, she could feel the sting and burn coming up from her gut. She wanted to explode, “Look! I do not know who Dillie is or what he wants, but just give him whatever and get out of my face. Don’t you see that I am busy? Do you want to keep your position as my assistant?”

“Yes, yes. Right away. Thank you, Miss June D. My apologies.” In a dash, Allison rushed to the motor pool and jetted away.

June entered her family home again, looking around for any sign of joy. None of the luxurious artwork she had surrounded herself with brought her happiness. None of the men she had on a waiting list as prospects brought her joy. She felt so empty and alone, and the love from her fans was losing its effect. A loud tweet came from upstairs.

That stupid bird. I wish it would just shut up. All it does is sing that dumb song daddy taught him. Skidamarink a dink a dink had all but seared itself into its brain. When will it end?

She needed the bird to stop reminding her of the first man she had ever loved, her father, Ronald. She tilted her head up towards the top of the staircase, shouting,

“Shut up! Shut up! Shut! Up! You annoying animal!” June did not know what else to call it. Saying his name would be her undoing. “Just stop singing that horrible song!”

Allison and Nancy sat in the back of the airplane, keeping their distance from the heartbroken singer. June looked out of the airplane windows, reflecting on her lonely surroundings, and thinking how pitiful she felt. She was famous, had millions of fans around the globe, many friends, and men to call upon. None of it mattered to her today. She had always hated flying because it was too tricky. Buckle this, use that oxygen mask, no parachute. Flying made no sense. Memories of her dad played in her mind, but they were halted by an annoying screech.

“Skidamarink a dink a dink skidamarink a do, I love you.”

“Oh my god! You have got to be kidding me! Allison! Nancy! Why is that thing here?” Again, the super diva’s appetite for rage today would be choked down by her assistants.

“Miss June D, please do not be mad at Allison. It was all my fault. I saw that the bird was lonely and needed company, so I packed his things and placed him onto your private jet. I have my eye on him and he is safe. I am sorry for bringing Dillie.”

“You idiot! Do not say his name. You have no right to mention it. That thing does not belong here. You had no right! You are fired, and so are you, Nancy.”

“Please, Miss June. We are very sorry.”

“Enough! I do not want to hear another peep from either of you. When we return to Georgia, the two of you need to find new jobs. I do not want that loud and obnoxious singing bird anywhere near me. Allison, you are responsible for it for this entire trip!”

Looking down at her Samsung mobile phone, Allison replied, “Yes, ma’am.”

“And Nancy, I don’t want to see it. Keep it hidden away. That thing better not be in my sight. Do you understand what I want? Give me what I want, and I won’t bar you from ever working with another celebrity for the rest of your life.”

Nancy started to cry. She had come from absolutely nothing in the slums. She did not want to go back to living paycheck to paycheck. How would she care for her sick daughter? Wiping her tears away, Nancy responded with a broken voice, “I promise to keep Dill- I mean, the thing away from you.”

The applause was loud, and the audience members danced with huge smiles plastered on their faces. It was the second segment and Wendy Williams was introducing her guest,

“How you doin’? Thank you, my audience members, and friends for being here. Today, I have a stylish diva who hails all the way from the dirty south. Please, help me welcome, June D!”

The audience cheered loudly as June D entered the stage. Wendy was sparkling in a golden dress and stunning high heels. She motions for June D to sit next to her to begin her interview,

“Hey girl, how you doin’?”

June D responds, “I’m great, Wendy! How are you? I am so glad to be here. Thanks for having me. Hey audience members! You all are looking great out there!” June D knew how to charm the crowd.

Wendy starts asking her about her dating life, her new album, the drama with the state of Texas, and many other topics that have been covered in the media. Then, she hit June with a hard-hitting question.


"So, I heard that your father died. I am so sorry for your loss. You have the nerve to keep performing? I do not know how you do it, girl. Weren’t you close with your dad? What was his name staffers? Oh, yes. Ronald.”

June could not speak. She did not prepare for this question and they did not rehearse it backstage Her throat felt like it was closing up. She fought back tears and answered the question.

“Yes. I am fine. The family is fine.”

Wendy went even further. What is this I hear about a bird?”

That was the straw that broke the camel’s back. June let the flood of tears pour out from her soul. The television show host tried calming her down but to no avail. June D stood up, looked out over the audience, and broke down on camera.

“You don’t know what it is like. My daddy died. I did everything I could and still, he is dead. Nothing kept him here. All of you staring at me like I am crazy. Stop looking at me!” The audience gasped as she exited stage left.

Later, in her suit, she arrived to find a letter from Allison and Nancy, stating that their services were no longer available. She needed to find new assistants. June picked up her phone to call the ungrateful women but was interrupted by a soft screeching sound.

“Welp me. Welp.”

“Oh, no! I forgot about the thing.”

June rose from the edge of her bed and ran over to the budgie’s cage. It was shaking and laying on its back. The poor budgie looked up at June and screeched again,

“Wawa water for Dillie?”

It dawned on her that the budgie had not had any food or water during the flight, nor while she was working for two days. It was starving and thirsty. She began to panic.

“Just hold on Dillie. I can help you. Please, don’t die too.”

She ran back to the bed and picked up her cell phone to call Allison to ask about the food and water for the bird. Allison ignored her calls and then blocked the Diva. June tried calling Nancy and was blocked as well. Looking up from her phone, June saw that the bird was breathing rapidly. She starting crying, pacing around the room, pulling on her afro.

“No. No. No! Please! I do not want you to die. What do you eat? Do you drink faucet water or some type of expensive water? Please, Dillie. Tell me what to do!”

Shivering, she ran down to the elevators, to the lobby, and rushed the front desk clerk.

“Please, help me.” She saw the woman’s name tag said Tika. “Tika, please, help me. My bird is starving and needs food and water. I do not know where my assistants left his stuff, before they quit. Those ingrates are not answering the phone. Please, did they leave anything for me?”

Tika looked into her log and saw it. “Why, yes. An Allison left behind a box of budgie food, bottled water, and treats.”

The clerk handed the box over to June. A tiny audience of onlookers were snapping photos and recording videos of the stressed-out singer, her hair in disarray, wearing her pajamas barefooted. Those videos would later go viral on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok.

June ran through the lobby, hurriedly pressed the elevator buttons, landed on her front door, and met a still alive budgie.

“Just hold on Dillie. Dillie?”

The cold and starving budgie stopped talking, nothing but a few blinks here and there. June did not have a clue for how to get the bird warm and fed. She raised the temperature in the room and got a plastic spoon from the room service cart. She filled it with water and administered it to the budgie, who gulped with need. Next, she broke apart some of his food and opened his beak, sprinkling it everywhere, missing several times. She then covered Dillie with a few napkins from the cart and began to sing to it.

“Skidamarink a dink a dink, skidamarink a do. I love you. Skidamarink a dink a dink.”

She was joined by the loud singing of Dillie, he was getting well. Flapping his feathers around and looking up at her with love.

“I love you in the morning, and in the afternoon. I love you in the evening and underneath the moon. Skidamarink a dink a dink, skidamarink a do. I love you.”



December 21, 2020 22:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Jon Blackstock
23:08 Dec 21, 2020

That is one of the best stories I've read on this site--maybe the best. Did you already have the basic idea for this story, or did you come up with this after reading the prompt? Either way, this is brilliant! I had high expectations, but this is even better than I expected. Tight story! Great release at the end!

Reply

Sim Simas
04:07 Dec 22, 2020

The prompt was very helpful. I am excited to write another story. This is quite addictive and satiates my need to tell stories. Thank you for the comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.