Sweet little old couple

Submitted into Contest #204 in response to: Write a story about someone seeking revenge for a past wrong.... view prompt

8 comments

Fantasy Drama

Martha Venger tottered out to the pump to fill the bucket with fresh water to make her famous blood red cocktails. They were sweet and thick. Harold Venger stood at the vanity adjusting his bow tie. He noticed a spot on his spectacles, so he carefully removed them and polished them with his hanky. When he was satisfied, he folded the hanky into a point and placed it in his jacket pocket.


"Oh, father, don't you look dapper today." Martha stood beside him.


"Now, mother, it's you who make me look dapper. I see you're wearing your best dress and apron." He smiled.


Martha frowned, "Now Harold, you've made me feel sad. Don't you recognize it? This is the apron you gave me on our 50th wedding anniversary. I've worn it with every soiree we have..tssk..tssk"


He looked in her eyes and smiled "You look younger and prettier with every passing year. "


"Oh, Harold. You naughty! We have to get ready. The guests will be here soon!" She tottered out to the kitchen and finished preparing the succulent desserts they would serve at the soiree.


People began to arrive. The Venger soiree was one of the biggest events of the year. The guests were among the very elite of the town: the sheriff and the dentist came to them all.


"Charles!" Yelled Martha. "The guests are arriving. Please help them park the wagons and make sure the horses are fed and watered."


"Yes, Mrs.. Venger. " Charlie straightened his jacket. This was his busiest day. He was the parking valet, the cocktail mixer as well as passing the appetizers around. He had been in charge of the soiree for the last 50 years. He smiled. He wouldn't want it any other way.


After all the wagons were parked: Charlie entered the Venger foyer and began to announce the guests: "Sheriff Norbert."


Harrold shook his hand, "Sheriff, as always, you add a touch of class to our little party."


"Now, Mr. Venger, no need for that. You know I wouldn't miss this. Say, where's the Mrs.? Am I smelling her tea cakes?"


"Here I am, Sheriff. Just in the kitchen." She tottered into the drawing room,"Now, you be careful, this is still hot."


"Mrs. Venger, I've waited all year for this. " He carefully placed the teacake in his mouth. The red, sweet fluid dripped onto his shirt. Charlie offered him a napkin.


"Allright, everyone. Do you all have your cocktails? Let's go to the drawing room so our business can begin" Harold limped to the drawing room and almost fell. "Harold! Dear, here is your walking stick." Martha scolded. He gratefully took the stick from her and gazed at its beautiful handle..handcarved from one of his grateful clients.


"Alright, please take your seats. Does anyone have any questions before we start?"


"Yes, I do. What is that heavenly smell? It's making me hungry."


"Thank you, Delbert. That is our little dessert which will be served at the end of our soiree. They must be served cold, as will all the appetizers." replied Martha.


"I'd appreciate a small taste to whet my appetite."


"Alright, Delbert. If you insist. Charles, take Mr. Delbert out to the kitchen." Charles took Delbert's arm and led him to the aroma.


A few minutes later, Charles came back and walked to the back of the room observing the crowd.


"Ms. Martha? Where is Delbert? He has been gone a long time."


Harold and Martha looked at each other. Martha cooed "Delbert is in the kitchen."


Harold took the guest list and crossed off Delbert's name. "Who is next. Oh, yes, Mr. Green. Tell us why you are here today."


"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir." Mr. Green removed his hat and held it to his chest. " As you know, me and Sam has been fighting. He accused me of stealin' his cows! ..Me! A Cattle rustler? He called the Sheriff on me."


Sheriff Norbert intervened ."Now, look here Greene, you know I had to check it out. As it turned out, He stole your cow, Bessie, and I took care of it. He's sittin' in my jail."


"Yes, but Bessie gave my kids milk. My wife made her best biscuits with that milk. He took food outta my kid's mouths!"


"You got Bessie back."


"Yes Sheriff. for that I'm grateful but Bessie ain't been the same since."


Harold interrupted. "So, what would you do for revenge? "


"Well, I thought a lot about it. Mr. Venger. I feel that Sam needs to know what it felt like to be accused of cattle rustlin.'"


"How much are you prepared to pay?" Harold inquired.


"Well, as we discussed Mr. Venger. I ain't got much but I can give you 5 dollars."


"Mr. Greene, that simply will not do. Revenge of that sort would require your farm. Are you willing to give that to get your revenge on him?"


Mr. Greene hesitated. Harrold looked at the sheriff; "Mr. Norbert, what's the punishment for cattle rustling in this town?"


"Well, that crime is punishable by hanging."


"Well, Mr. Greene? Are you willing to hand over your farm?" asked Harold.


Mr. Greene nodded. "Yes, Mr Venger, I am."


Martha Cheered "Oh, Mr. Greene, how lovely and brave of you! Please, have a cocktail. " Mr. Greene sipped one of the sickly-sweet red cocktails and everyone clapped and smiled.


"Very well. I believe Madam Hilson is next."


"Thanks, Mr. Venger. I am truly happy to be here today. I come to you with a request. As you know, I am businesswoman and don't take it so good when money is being stolen from me. And, let me remind you, Mr. Venger. I ain't no Madam. I take good care of my girls. They are the finest, most skilled girls you can buy. Ain't that right, Sheriff?"


Sheriff Norbert sputtered into his drink.."Uh..I ..uh..yes m'aam, the finest." He took another cocktail off the tray that Charles offered.


"Well, I got some proof that one of my girls is taking more than her share. She's in cahoots with one of her customers. He goes by the name Bootsy. Found out he's a logger in the camp down the road. He stole hundreds of dollars from me, Mr. Venger! Now that's just not right! I have a good name in this town! I worked hard for my business."


Sheriff Norbert spoke " Ms. Hilson, if you know who done it, I could just arrest him."


"I don't want him arrested. I want him dead..to teach that girl a lesson!"


"Now, Madam Hilson, A double revenge plot is going to cost a pretty penny. What is your offer?"


"10 % on every penny I make. I rake in 50 dollars a month, 60 dollars after the men is drunk. "


"Madam Hilson, A revenge of this sort would require 25 %, surely."


Madam Hilson and Harold stared at each other. "Mr. Harold, what happens if I can't do that?"


"Then, Madam, you will be the victim of your own revenge plot and Martha, and I would get all of the profits, seeing as your business would now be ours."


She hesitated a moment.


Martha looked at Charles and said, "Perhaps Madam would like to taste a nibbly in the kitchen?" Charlie placed the tray of drinks on the sideboard and began to walk towards her.


Madam backed away and said." No..no..it's fine. If that's what you require...I'll pay."


Martha clapped her hands and smiled "Excellent! Everyone, clap for Madam! Charles, more drinks and now, it's time for our treats. I made extra this year! Plenty for everyone. " She disappeared into the kitchen and brought back an elaborate tray filled with sweet treats. "Everyone, the tea cakes are ready. "


The guests smiled. This is what they have waited for all year. Martha passed the tray to everyone and then gave each guest a pretty linen napkin with handmade lace on the corner. "Alright everyone, let's eat!"


As the guests bit into the teacakes, a sweet thick red fluid leaked out. She had made them especially full this year. As the guest were enjoying their treats, Charles brought out a white screen. The guest watched as images appeared on it.


"Look, Mr. Greene, that's yours! " The image showed up clearly. Sam was sitting in his jail cell when a posse appeared. They dragged him out of his cell kicking and screaming. They tied his hands behind his back and threw a noose over the tree limb. Everyone watched and cheered as the revenge was finished. Mr. Greene stood and shook Harolds' hand." Thank you, sir. I am eternally grateful to you." Harold smiled.


"Now. Madam. Please have another drink as you watch. It was quite complicated. " They watched the screen as the customer was crushed when the logs somehow became unbalanced and rolled on top of him.


The girl, who was still at Madam's waiting for her next customer, suddenly felt immense pain on her cheek. She looked at the mirror. "No, please no!" She had been careful, laying with only the men she knew, never a stranger but still, IT happened. Then she knew..her boyfriend had been unfaithful. All the money she gave him to start their new life and it was gone withing seconds. No one would want her now. She was marked with that disease! Syphilis! She panicked. She knew what happened to the other girls who got marked. They ended up in the garbage heap, thrown out with the rest of the trash. There was only one thing she could do..she climbed to the top of the bell tower and took her final jump.


Everyone at the soiree cheered except Madam.


"My dear, whatever is the matter? You got your wish?" Martha patted her on her shoulder.


"Yes, I got my wish..only, the girl was my daughter. She's the one that stole my money."


"Well dear, sometimes you have to think of everything before you wish for revenge. " Martha turned to the guests, "Now everyone, let's finish the teacakes. The blood of our victims has nicely thickened. " Harold and Martha, the sweet, little old couple smiled lovingly at each other and said in unison "After all, it's a treat that is best served cold."






June 27, 2023 16:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Amanda Lieser
13:15 Jul 25, 2023

Hi LJ, Oh you had so many great plot points for this story. I loved that first interaction, filled with love. I loved the second and how there’s not a man on earth who can escape his work. Those final interactions sealed home your themes and truly gave us insight into this culture. I’d be interested to see it approached from another angle-a stranger comes into town and must uncover the corruption. You posed some interesting questions with this one-what is one willing to sacrifice. Nice work!! If you want to keep this commenting volley going,...

Reply

L J
18:40 Jul 25, 2023

Love that idea! I will keep an eye on your entries! Thank you for that and I truly appreciate your comments. I am looking at the new contests to see if I Can re-use the characters. Thanks again

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:41 Jul 06, 2023

Great atmosphere. The supernatural, cult-like soiree felt like something out of a Neil Gaiman "Sandman" story. Well done!

Reply

L J
18:50 Jul 06, 2023

wow! Thank you ! I appreciate the comments. Thank you for taking time to read mine! I appreciate it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
12:02 Jul 04, 2023

Ok, I loved this tale, and not just because my namesake was a victim! LOL The supernatural avengers were a hoot. Old-world charm and vicious executions. How can you not love them, right? As soon as I saw the name "Martha Venger," my mind automatically translated it as "Marth Avenger." I suspect their last name was intended as such. Also, serving the treats cold was a clever touch. A dish best served cold and all that. Nice. A delightfully macabre tale, told in a lighthearted manner. That's a tough sell, but I'm sold. Great execution, my ...

Reply

L J
18:46 Jul 04, 2023

Delbert! Thank you so much..and no offense lol.... you got the name, spot on! This means a lot to me! I always appreciate when you take time out to read my entries. Love these comments ! Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rabab Zaidi
06:34 Jul 02, 2023

Macabre !

Reply

L J
19:37 Jul 03, 2023

thank you for taking time to read it, I LOVE that word!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.