Faced with God's Words

Written in response to: Write a story about a character who interprets people’s dreams.... view prompt

2 comments

Christian Creative Nonfiction

      “The god of Judah,” said King Belshazzar, slurring his words, “is nothing compared to Marduk, our city’s god, who defeated that god and gave us the treasures of its temple. Their prophet was wrong. Today is seventy years from the prophecy saying the Jews would return their homeland.” He laughed and added, “Their god has given up on his people. Our gods are more powerful than theirs.”

The lords cheered while the king drank heavily of the aged wine. “Bring in the gold and spoils from their temple and their conquests,” he said.

           Two men carried a solid gold candlestick into the banquet hall where 1,000 lords waited for Belshazzar to make toasts to the gods. The servants set the sculpture on a center table against the plaster wall. Three branches extended upward on each side of the straight main stem supporting the candlestick. Olive oil was poured into an almond shaped bowl on each branch and set afire.

           The light from the candlestick shed disturbing shadows on the faces, but it did not bother anyone. In fact, the crowd cheered and laughed.

           With cup in the air, King Belshazzar toasted again to Marduk. “To the best god a city could want. To the god who protects us, and gave us the gold and silver vessels taken from the temple of a Jewish god.”

           The crowd tried to chant “Praise to Marduk”, but it was not quite in unison.

           Next to be set out was a gold incense altar with a crown. After filling with far east spices, the odor spread through the room, tickling the senses.

           “More gold!” Belshazzar leaned back on his chair.

           “There are thousands of gold cups,” said the head servant, “with inscriptions from lands the Hebrews conquered. They have been dedicated to the Israelite god. Much time will be spent bringing them to this feast.”

           “Good, then there is enough”, said the king, “to serve everyone. Including my queen, my wives and the concubines in the other room.” His hand swept across the sky, even though it was the ceiling. “More proof,” he said, “of Marduk’s greatness.” He leaned forward towards the servant. “Bring the cups.”

           The head servant, leaned toward the king, and spoke quietly. “It is good to honor Marduk. But is it wise to risk insulting a god able to amass so much fortune for his people?”

           King Belshazzar shoved his face into the servant’s. “We will drink out of them.” The ruler tried to shove the servant away, but his drinking affected his ability to accurately judge the distance and missed completely.

           The servant bowed his head and backed away before leaving.

           Gold wine cup after gold wine cup brought delight to the crowd of lords because light bounced off each vessel with radiance like the sun.

           “Time to make toasts again,” said Belshazzar, trying to sit up straight. “I want to praise all my gods: Gunara and Hahana, gods or iron and brass. Kulla and Meshdemma, gods of stone and gems.” 

           The men all lifted their cups to drink the next wine which was brought out.

           One lord shouted, “Don’t forget Emesh, god of the woods and Ninsar, goddess of plants. They supplied the wood for our weapons.”

           The host nodded. His cup was refilled, and he stood to raise his cup for yet another toast. “To Emesh and Ninsar for providing wood for weapons. I praise them.” He closed his eyes in reverence and paused before continuing. “I praise all my gods, including the ones that I can’t remember their names. Our gods gave us all this,” his arm swung toward the candlestick and gold cups, “by defeating Judah.” He took a big swig of wine.

           With no warning, a three-dimensional hand materialized beside the candlestick reaching almost to the ceiling. No legs. Nor body, Nor arms. Nor head and neck. The fingers moved and wrote MENE, MENE, UPHARSIN. Everyone could see it and hushed to form complete silence in the windowless room.

           Belshazzar did not recognize the font or words, and looked around if anyone else knew what it meant. From fear, his heart beat fast, yet his face paled and his breath was forced. His joints felt like they split apart, so he sat down. When he did, his knees knocked against each other.

           The handwriting was an act of a god, but which one? Worry lines appeared on his forehead and the lines around his mouth drooped. Which one did he forget? Or not praise enough. I have to find out.

           “By Hades, force every wise man, astrologer, Chaldean, and soothsayer to appear before me and interpret these words!” This MUST not be from the Judean god!

           When the men arrived, King Belshazzar said, “To the man who tells me what the words mean, I will give him a scarlet robe, and a gold chain necklace. I will make him third ruler in the kingdom.”

           The astrologer insisted the signs were favorable to Belshazzar for several months ahead. The Chaldean’s magical chants were not rewarded with interpretation. The wise men argued if the words were nouns or verbs. The soothsayers wanted time to consult the entrails of a chicken.

           By the servants and loud voices of her husband and banquet attendees, the queen surmised what happened. She asked a servant for an audience with the king to tell him of a man who may be able to interpret.

           In the banquet hall, she said, “O king, live forever. Don’t let your thoughts control your mood. During the reign of your father, Nebuchadnezzar, a Jew named Daniel, was made master of these men you seek wisdom from. He has the spirit of holy gods and can interpret dreams, explain hard sentences, and dissolve doubts. Let him be called.”

           “A Jew?” Belshazzar grimaced, but said, “I need it interpreted. Bring him in.”

           Daniel entered in much plainer clothes than the King and guests. His hair and beard were well on their way to being white. He stepped in the banquet hall with confidence, having learned long ago how to dress for court and the customs to show respect.

           “Live forever, O king. Keep the scarlet clothes and gold chain for yourself, and reward someone else with it and being the third ruler. Yet will I read the writing and make known to you what it means.”

           Daniel stared straight only at Belshazzar’s eyes.

           “The Judean god, the most-high God, gave King Nebuchadnezzar, your father, a kingdom, majesty, glory, and honor. God gave him people and nations that trembled and feared him. Then pride took over and entered his heart.” Daniel lifted his hand to his head. “And his mind was hardened toward God.” His hand dropped to point towards the floor. “Deposed as king, he lived with the wild asses and became like a beast. He ate grass like cows, and the morning dew could be seen covering his body. Your father stayed that way until he learned that the most-high God rules, and who appoints over a kingdom whoever He wants to. Including you, O King Belshazzar, but you do not praise Him.”

           Daniel’s arm stretched to point at the ruler. “You, his son, saw all this happen. Yet you did not humble yourself before the One and Only Supreme God who made heaven and earth. You have used His dedicated temple items to glorify yourself and your gods. Even your queen, wives, and concubines took part in insulting Him.

           “Your gods—of gold, silver, brass, iron, and stone,” he said half laughing, “cannot see, hear, or know anything.

           “The most-high God has your breath in his hand, and all your ways. But you have not given Him credit for any of what you have.”

           His voice lowered and took aim at Belshazzar. “That is why the hand wrote this message.

           “This is what it means.” Daniel’s voice picked up volume so everyone would hear. “’MENE, MENE.’ God has numbered your kingdom and finished it. God has numbered your kingdom and finished it.” Daniel paused a moment to let it sink in.

           “’TEKEL’: You are weighed in the balance and found wanting.

           “’UPHARSIN’: Your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians.

           With a squeaky voice, King Belshazzar ordered the scarlet robe and gold chain be given to Daniel, but he refused.

           “I do not want those things, or to be the third ruler,” said Daniel.

           “I command you to accept them.” Daniel obeyed and let the servants dress him.

           Belshazzar racked his mind as to what would happen. Someone will enter into my palace without me knowing it and assassinate me.         

           Belshazzar ran to the two doorkeepers of the royal palace. “Anyone that forces entrance tonight, I order you to behead them. What if someone pretends to be me?” Even if it is the king himself.

            The king found clothes to disguise himself as a common person. He left unnoticed a little later that night through an unused rear exit.

           He felt sick from drinking too much wine, but outside in the fresh air, the king calmed down. Maybe it was all a hallucination from the wine. He fell asleep but awoke from a nightmare an hour later. He decided to return to the safety and comfort of his bed.

           At the royal palace entrance, King Belshazzar said, “Open the doors that I may return to my bed.”

           “We are to behead anyone forcing their way in or claiming to be king,” said the doorkeepers. “Otherwise, we will be put to death.”

           Belshazzar stepped into the light of the torches and candles. He pulled back his hood. “I am the king, and I’ll have you beheaded now if you don’t obey me.” 

           True to their commands, the doorkeepers grabbed heavy brass ornaments from a stand for holding candles and shattered the skull of Belshazzar.






September 29, 2021 18:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Anthony David M
14:15 Oct 02, 2021

Bonnie, The first two of the four words written on the wall I think are "Mene Mene" and not "Tene Tene". You can check it up. I must congratulate you on your research on the gods of the Babylonians. The murder of Belshazzar is a good addition to the climax of your story. You are progressing very well Boinnie. Keep it up and God bless!

Reply

Bonnie Clarkson
18:08 Oct 02, 2021

Thank You for catching that. I'll check it out. The ending was based on Talmud, old traditional commentary. The history of gods I found were not real clear on which god was for what object. Thank You for your compliment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.