1 comment

Fantasy Fiction Science Fiction

The universe is vast. The 100 human beings on the spacecraft destined for planet “Sorial” are grateful for this fact. Their beloved planet, earth, has been destroyed by Armageddon. The 50 males and 50 females are thankful for their fortuitous situation and fate.

But they are puzzled as to what world they will be living in the rest of their lives. Will it be utopian? Or will it be dystopian? Their journey will be 2 days before they arrive there. The humanoid commander will educate them as to the world they are headed to.

The humans are in awe of their surroundings they witness in the spacecraft. They have ample food and liquids and their luxurious seating is very comfortable. 

The commander orders for the lighting to be diminished. From the ceiling, a TV screen is lowered. Commander Tom begins the lecture. The humans listen attentively. Commander Tom indicates that their monetary system is uniform on the 3,000,000 square mile planet. The planet has 100,000 humanoid inhabitants. The 100 humans are curious about currency used on the planet. Commander Tom continues by explaining that “Credits” are used to acquire goods and services.

Commander Tom explains that “Credits” are earned by performing an act of charity for 10 hours a day, as there are 30 hours that compose a day on planet Sorial. The presentation continues by explaining that acts of charity include, but are not limited to:

·     Caring for the elderly in their homes

·     Feeding the hungry in soup kitchens

·     Teaching children how to read and write

All 100 humans are astounded that there is no “cash” on this planet, but only “credits”. They also determine there is a level of equality of social status on this planet. That is because everybody earns the same number of credits and work the same numbers of hours every day. The humans all look at each other and find this aspect of economic class appealing. They will have to get used to seeing “credits” in their bank accounts rather than “cash” that was in dollar value on earth.

Commander Tom explains other aspects of planet “Sorial”. It is a world that is operated by robots that undertake occupations that were carried out by human beings on the now destroyed planet earth. Crops are grown in vast plantations that don’t require sunlight or water to grow them. Everyday essentials, like clothing and toiletries are instantly created by replicants who are programmed by computers.

The humans on the spaceship continue to listen to Commander Tom tentatively. He explains that on planet “Sorial”, there is world peace because military and firearms are not created or manufactured there.

Garbage pollution, of any kind, is not retained on the planet. That is because it is automatically eliminated by garbage disintegrator machines that are placed in dozens of locations that eliminate garbage waste instantly. He continues his seminar. He professes that this planet has no crime because inhabitants are humanoids that are conditioned to do only good deeds.

He continues by saying that days are indicated by numbers and not by names. The current year is “100”. The current day is “200”. So, therefore, it is Y:100 – D:200.

The humans from earth conclude that they are heading to a planet that is more “utopian” than “dystopian”. They want to pinch themselves because they think they are asleep and immersed in a dream. They are particularly fascinated that they are going to be living on a planet where there is no cash. The fact that they will be earning “Credits” instead of “cash” is very intriguing. In fact, other than “world peace”, this aspect is a fact that is especially appealing. They also like the fact that there are 400 days in a year. So, therefore, you earn 400,000 Credits a year that can be used to acquire goods and services. At this point, the humans are very excited about the prospect of living on a planet that is utopian—at least it comes close to being that.

The time has come for all the passengers on the spacecraft to retire for the night. They shall remain in their places to rest for 10 hours, which is the new norm for planet “Sorial”.

----

It is now the day when they will be arriving to this new world within 10 hours. Commander Tom informs the humans on the spacecraft that they must now prepare for their new life on a new planet. One human asks him why they were rescued after Armageddon destroyed planet earth. Commander Tom explains that human blood is needed to keep the humanoid inhabitants alive on planet “Sorial”. One of the requirements of the human inhabitants of the planet is to earn “credits” to acquire goods and services. And in order to complete earning the credits every day, they must donate blood mandatorily. Those who have sickness or disease need not worry. That is because blood is purified before being transfused into the humanoids.

This stipulation caught the humans off guard. But they also understand that one must earn the right to acquire something, as it was on earth. They are all comfortable with this sacrifice they must make each day.

----

The excursion from earth to Sorial is coming to an end. The 100 earthlings have nothing but the clothes on their back. They depart the spacecraft and are transported to the only human habitat on the entire planet. 

But they are curious about something. It was not explained to them how they pay for their lodging. Commander Tom explains to the humans that “Credits” are deposited to all bank accounts by Central Command. Before each deposit, each day, 10% of all credits are retained by Central Command for lodging rental. One of the humans’ objects to this heavy-handed measure by Central Command. But Commander Tom explains that Central Command must have control of certain aspects of planet Sorial. It is done to create a peaceful and orderly society. The humans are questioning this underhanded way of imposing dictatorship—at least to a certain extent. The humans realize that, even on other worlds, everything is not always totally perfect. Now they realize it more than ever. But, they know they can’t go back to their former destroyed planet.

Commander Tom points out to the humans: “I’m sorry, but you’re stuck here. After all, you can’t acquire goods and services with “Credits” on earth!”

August 18, 2022 17:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Simon Kent
21:10 Aug 24, 2022

This is a well thought out premise and interesting ending, excellent stuff. For me what would make it better is if there were more emotional details - what is it like for the humans involved - or the experience of one human in this situation. That could give it a bit more depth, perhaps. But great stuff none the less.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.