5 comments

General

RRRRIIINNNNGGG! The bell rang.

“Aw, shit!” the girl with glasses exclaimed, slammed her locker closed, and rushed into class.

“Petunia Preppoppington, you're late again,” Mr..Finklehiemer said.

“Sorry, I had to find my textbook.”

“Excuses, excuses, excuses, Preppoppington, take a seat.”

She grumbled as she walked to the back. She waved at her friend then sat down.

“What was it this time?” Laura whispered.

“I was in the bathroom.”

“Right” Laura rolled her eyes.

OK, OK, I was making out with. “

“Girls!”

They looked up.

“Thank you. One more word and you'll get detention!” Mr. Finkleheimer scolded. He then looked at the class.“Now, someone please recite the Quadradic equation for me.”

Before anyone could raise their hands, two men walked in. “Petunia Preppoppington, come with us.”

“Sorry, but who are you?” Mr. Finklehiemer asked.

‘We’ll bring her back.”

“No, not unless she knows you.” Mr. Finklehiemer said.

“Sir., we really need her.”

“No, I can't let her go with people she doesn’t know. School policy.”

The intercom came on. “Mr. Finklehiemer, your wife is on the phone.”

“Aw, shit!” He exclaimed and ran out. 

“Come with us, Petunia.”

“What do you want?”

“Just come with us… it’s urgent!”

“Tell me.”

“We will if you come with us.”

“Come on,” the man calmly said, motioning her to get up.

She looked around. Everyone starred at her. She stood up and walked up the aisle.

“What's this about?” Laura asked.

“It’s classified, stated one of the men.

“Classified my ass! you tell us what you want Petunia for or—" 

“Please, if you care for her and humanity itself, you will let her come with us.” The man looked serious.

“I’ll go.” Petunia said.

“But, Petunia?” Lizzy looked worried.

“It’ll be ok,” she said and then left class.

What’s going on? she thought as she walked with them. They said I needed to go with them for the sake of humanity. Is the world in trouble? Or are they kidnapping me?

They escorted her outside and to their car and opened the door. “Get in.”

Petunia hesitated. “Why won’t you tell me what’s going on?”

“We will; once you get in.”

She was an orange belt in Jujitsu, so if it got ugly, she hoped she could handle herself.

She climbed in and they shut the door. The men looked at the car, slapped their heads, and opened the door. “Sorry, would you scoot over?”

“Oh, yeah sure,” Petunia said and moved to the other side.

The men climbed in. “Thanks.” They sat down. One of them shut the door as Petunia gave him a funny look.

“I’m afraid we're going to have to shave your head.”

“Excuse me?” she exclaimed.

“We need you, your bravery, and your fighting skills to defeat an ominous threat to the city.”

“What?” Petunia was dumbfounded.

“We need you to become a superhero.”

“A superhero?”

“Yes.”

“You mean someone who can fly and stuff?”

“Yes, Miss Prepoppington.”

“OK, you're too late,. April Fools’ Day was yesterday.”

“This isn’t a joke.”

“Of course it is. You two aren’t government material, or whatever. You two dweebs forgot to get in the car with me.”  

“Hey!”

“Calm down, Malone,” his partner said.

“Who organized this dumb prank?”

The first man took his glasses off. “We're not joking.”

“Of course, you are!”

“I know it’s hard to believe, but we’re telling you the truth.”

Petunia stammered, “…But, there’s no such thing as superheroes.”

“Chabs, show her,” the second man said.

The driver turned around. “Would you like a glass of turkey juice?” the elderly man asked. Then nodded his head and a cup appeared in Petunia's hand.

The second man sighed and held his head. “Chabs, how many times have I told you to not be weird?” He looked at Petunia. “You don't want this, do you?”

“Not really?”

He grabbed the glass from her, pushed a button on the door panel to make the window go down, and tossed the glass out. “Normal people don’t drink turkey juice, Chabs!”

“You are such a jerk!” The elderly man huffed and tied his long gray hair in a ponytail.

“Sorry about that. My uncle and I were a little off. Now, do you believe us?”

“Yes,” Petunia quickly said, not wanting to anger him again.

Good.” The first man reached under his seat and grabbed a plastic bag. Petunia noticed the Target logo on the sack as he muttered something under his breath. These crystals will give you your powers when they come in contact with your skin, but you need to have no hair on your, head.”

“Why?”

“They simply won't work. The hair on your head blocks the flow of their energy.”

“How do you know?”

“We’ve tried it on other people.”

“Wait- if you tried it on others, why do you want me? And you still haven’t told me your names!”

He slapped his partner upside the head. “You forgot to tell her!”

“Me? I didn’t know I was supposed to tell her?”

“I’m David and this idiot over here is Jack.”

“Hey!”

“Well, you are! Idiot.”

“Uh…” Petunia uttered.

“Oh, yeah, you want to know why we chose you to become a superhero. Well… you're the right person.”

“How do you know?”

The crystals glowed blue when we shipped them your picture.”

“What?”

“Just trust us.”

Petunia bit her lip. “Albright, I’ll do it. I’ll have my head shaved and become a superhero.” She didn't care much for her hair anyway.

“Thank you, Miss Prepoppington.”

“I’m sixteen, call me Petunia.”

“OK, Petunia.” Jack opened the compartment and pulled an electric razor out. “You ready?” He turned it on.

“Yes”.

Jack smiled and passed the razor onto her head. “I hope you don’t mind hair all over you. This doofus over here didn’t bring a towel.”

David shrugged at him. Jack ignored it and continued shaving Petunia’s head.

She watched her blond Hair fall to the floor in clumps as the buzz of the razor reverberated in her ears. Her head started to feel cool.  White scalp soon emerged as she clenched her hand on her pants.

“You're doing great! Hang on!”

‘What am I gonna tell Lizzy?’ She thought. Her aunt may not give a crap about her and let her do pretty much whatever but Lizzy was a different story.  

“All done!” David announced and shut the machine off.

Petunia, look at the pile of hair on the floor. ‘Her hair. Wow! Did all that come from me?’ She placed her hand on the top of her heads.  ‘Rough.’

“Can I see it?”

“Yes.”

She unzipped her backpack, and pulled her phone out. She flipped it over and looked in the mirror.

She gasped. “I look — badass!”

“Great! I'm glad you like it! Ready for your powers?”

“I guess so…”

“Don’t worry, you'll be fine.” The man snatched the crystals up then placed them on her legs. She jumped. They felt cold and dropped to the floor of the car.

“Sorry, we didn't warn you they’re cold.” He put them on her again. This time, she kept still.

The crystals all shown blue as she felt a strange energy course through her body. She felt jittery, like she wanted to hop, kick, and punch. Then, she could have sworn she heard a faint hum.

“There, it’s done.” The man took the crystal off.

“I feel charged up!”

David looked at Jack. “See? I told you we got the right girl!”

“I didn’t doubt you.”

“Bullcrap! You were gorging on your gross Big Mac when I came out from my lab and showed you her picture and you said ‘that's not her!’” He mocked his partner in a high voice.

“Whatever,” Jack scoffed.

Everyone stayed quiet for the rest of the ride.

“We’re here!” Chabs announced as he drove up to the cottage and stopped.

“Thank you, Chabs. You want a million dollars for that announcement?” David snapped.

“You know when I don’t, you'll miss me!”

“Just get out

He huffed and complied.

“Why are you so mean to him?”’ Petunia asked.

“I don’t like him, OK? End of subject!” David said and got out with his partner.

“OK!” Petunia said and hopped out.

The warm sun felt great on her head. What a sensation! She never thought her heads could feel this good! She touched her scalp and smiled. I’m gonna like going to the beach and suntan!

“Come on!” Jack urged, snapping her back to reality.

“OH!... She followed the man up to the door.

David opened it. ”Chabs, you idiot! You forgot to lock it!”

“Me? Since when am I responsible for locking the door?!”

He ignored him and trudged into the hall. “Come on, Petunia let's go into my Control Room!”

“OK…” She followed him down the hall. She looked at the photographs on the wall. One showed them having a water gun fight. Another was Jack making a goofy face. ‘How could they be in charge when they act like children?’

David opened the door and they walked into a messy room. Pizza boxes were scattered all over the place. Clothes covered chairs.

“Nice, uh, room,” Petunia said, stepping around Coke cans and empty buckets.

“Thank you,” David replied and picked a pizza box up, opened it, and grabbed a slice.  “Want some?”

“No, thanks.”

“OK.” He took a bite. “Lets get down to business.” He pushed the pizza, soaked cardboard, and magazines littering his desk away and grabbed a tablet.

“Uh David, you sure you know what youre doing?”

“Yes, why?”

“Its just that you act like a…”

“Like a what?”

“Nevermind.”

“OK.” He showed Petunia a picture of what looked like a red-faced witch “This is Inferior. She's a very powerful witch from the underworld who will stop at nothing to enslave the human race.

“Underworld? You mean H—" Petunia was cut off by Chabs putting his fingers in both ears.

“Lalalalalala!” he sang. “There's no such thing as… the H word, OK?”

“OK?” Petunia replied.

“There's just the Underworld and regular Earth, where we’re standing on, OK?”

“What about Heaven?”

David Sighed. “Dammit, Chabs.”

“Can we get back on track here?” Petunia asked and looked around. “Hey., where's the other guy?”

“He went back to bed. He just wanted to come along. He really doesn't do anything… lazy piece of—Yes, of course. Back on track!”

BUZZ! BUZZ! BUZZ!

“WHAT IS THAT* T!” Petunia yellred, covering her ears.

“Screen on!” David exclaimed.

The widescreen TV turned on. It showed a chaotic downtown; buildings damaged; villains screaming and running.

“You have to go now and kick that witches butt!”

“But how do I access my powers?”

“From within, trust yourself.”

“’Alright.”

 “This is your watch. Push this button to change into your super clothes.”

“But—”

“Trust me., youll be okay.”

“I’m not sure in cabn—"

“That town is getting destroyed. GO!”

“Alright.” She put the watch on, rushed to the door and opened it. “Good luck!”

Petunia ran out in the backyard and looked up.  “OK, here goes nothing.”

She took a deep breath and concentrated. Then before she realized it, she was two feet off the ground. “I’m flying! I’m flying” she exclaimed but she didn’t have time to celebrate.

She flew high up and soared over her neighborhood. It was a minute when she saw downtown.

Cars had been turned over, a fire hydrant ripped out of the ground, a huge waterspout was in its place. She soared to it, flew down and landed nearby in the street.  

“Well, well, well, what have we here?”

I’m, uh, Super Powerful Girl and I’m here to stop you!”

“Stop me? You look as threatening as a wet carrot.”

“We'll see about that!” She was right next to her foe and raised her first but the witch immediately threw her hands up, blocking it.

“Nice try, but too slow.” She grabbed Petunia as an arm and flipped her over on the pavement.

“Oof!” Petunia exclaimed, rubbing the top of her head.

Inferno laughed. “They sent a child to destroy me? Ha! Pathetic!”   Inferna soared horizontal and rammed right into Petunia.

Petunia let out a cry as she struggled to hold her ground.

Inferno laughed. “What's the matter? Getting tired?”

Petunia got up and shot fire out her fingertips

“Ugh! This is getting boring!” as flames landed on her. “I’ll be back later to kill you!”    A black cloud appeared and she vanished.

Her new phone rang. She pulled it out and pushed   

“Yeah?”

“Is that the way you darn teens answer calls these days?” David asked.

“’I mean, hello.”

“That's better. first… Superpower Girl?! Are you kidding me?!”

“Well, I’m not creative!”

“Oh I see that!... Go back to your normal life now, we’ll call you when Inferno, who has a much better name returns.”

“Alright,” she fumed.

When you return to school, everybody should forget about us. We threw a Forget Me orb. Memory gas comes out of it, and blah, blah, blah.., “

“So they’ll forget you came and took me?”

“Yes, so keep your identity a secret… Blah, blah, blah…”

“I will’

“Bring me back a hamburger!” She heard Chabs shout.

“Shut up you pathetic piece of spam!”  David exclaimed. “Sorry. Don't listen to that old muppet fart.”

“Uh, OK, …”

“Good, until we meet again, stay safe!”

Petunia flew up and the wind whipped at her face

She soared under the clouds. The whole town glimmered below.

“Wow!” she exclaimed as she saw everything. She landed in front of Greggory High school. She ducked in the bushes, pushed a button on her watch and changed back into her clothes. She jumped out and put her glasses on. She went to the door, opened it, and walked in. She marched down the hall and turned the corner.

Laura was by Mr. Finklehiemer’s classroom, waiting. She heard someone and looked. her Jaw dropped open. “Petunia?”

“Yes, it’s me.” She walked over

“What happened

“I shaved it

“Why?”

“I wanted a new look.”

“Well, you have it, that’s for sure

“You like it?”

“No.”

“Oh.”

“I love it!”

“Really?”

“Yes! I wish I had the courage to shave my head.”

“Well, why don’t you?”

“Can I touch it?”

“What?”

She- blushed. “Um, sure.”

Laura stuck Her hand out and rubbed Petunia's scalp when Mr. Finklehiemer walked up to the door.  Blushing too, Laura retracted her hand.

“Hi, Petunia?” Mr. Finklehiemer stared at her bald head.

“I shaved it

“Well, you look great.”

“Thanks!” Petunia said as he unlocked and opened the door. Petunias and Laura went in and took their seats.

“Nice haircut

“What happened?”

“Petunia?”

She sat down, “Did those guys shave your head-?”

“No, I did/”

“Why?”

“I just wanted to.”

“Yeah right. Somethings up, you leave with those guys and come to class bald.”

“I wanted to shave my head and those guys — Wait, you remember?”

“Huh?”

All of the sudden, she was in a cornfield. “Huh?” she blinked. “What's going on?”

Then the cackle echoed throughout. “You silly girl, didn’t expect I would return so soon, did you?”

“What have you done to my friends?”

“They're in a safe place… for now.”

“Come out and fight.”

“Not yet, someone wants to meet you first.”

The corn stalks moved and turned into a monster. It roared and started walking towards her. Petunia flew up and took a deep breath. she exhaled as sharp needles shot out of her mouth. They flew and cut through the monster; the monster roared.  It extended its leafy arm and whacked her, she flew across the cornfield hitting a scarecrow and landing on her back.

“How do you like my creation?” Infernia appeared standing above her. She grabbed Petunia by her collar and lifted her up. “You're weak.”

Petunia clutched Infernia’s arm and pulled. 

“Bye-bye,” said Petunia as her belt glowed blue.

“What the- “ SHROOOOMM!. A laser blasted out, desegregating the witch. Black ash fell to the ground.

Petunia gawked, not believing what just happened.

“Petunia, Petunia.” Someone was shaking her.

She woke up and opened her eyes and stared into Mr. Finkleheimer’s face. “Glad you finally woke up, I guess my lesson on logarithms was boring!”

The class laughed as Petunia sank down in her seat.

“Sorry!”

“Maybe you need more sleep at night, hmmm?”

“Yessir,” she replied. 

It was one day since she saved her school from Infernia. The building magically returned with everyone unharmed. Jack had erased their memories so life was back to normal… well, not quite normal….

“Now, where was I?... Oh yes! Logarithms. Now—!”

BANG!

Mr. Finkleheimer jumped and looked.

“Sorry, I sneezed!” Petunia said and there was a huge hole in the wall.

July 04, 2020 03:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Raven Quill
01:18 Jul 10, 2020

Hello! I came across your story through Critique Circle so I thought I'd share some thoughts I have. - very cute and unique names - make sure to remember to close your quotations - This stuck out a lot, but in no way would a teenager be that trusting so fast, I would try to develop that more so it makes more sense. (Maybe introduce the conflict earlier to force her to believe?) - I really liked the dynamic between David and Jack, it was very comedic. However, sometimes I got confused with names since you use a lot of nicknames I think -...

Reply

Charlie Murphy
19:00 Jul 10, 2020

Thank you. I understand my story might have been rushed but I ran out of time Maybe next time, I'll try to finish my first draft early, so I have time to edit.

Reply

Raven Quill
03:09 Jul 11, 2020

Sounds like a great plan, best of luck in the future!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Grace M'mbone
07:52 Jul 07, 2020

Charlie I liked your story. It's unique as it is creative. Those are the foundations for any brilliant author. Great work. Please keep writing.

Reply

Charlie Murphy
23:27 Jul 07, 2020

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.