1 comment

Fantasy

A mechanical voice sounds over the p.a. system: ALERT! BATTLE ACTIVITY IN SECTOR NINE HUNDRED AND FIFTY ONE!

A strong voice follows after the announcement. "We have a battle ensuing in Riverside California, bring all displays of the area on screen, real time. Who's involved?"

The young woman at the center console enters a sequence of keystrokes on her computer. The several large screens adorning the front wall of the command center switch to live footage of the event. "It appears to be the hero Tempered Sky facing off with the villain Severed Ring. I show reports of three civilians injured."

The strong voice booms out again. "That's unacceptable!" On the main screen two costumed individuals collide against each other, striking each other fiercely before separating. "During his last assault, we confirmed that Severed Ring draws power from the surrounding electrical sources. Have we completed upgrades for the area?"

Across the room a younger man speaks up. "Yes sir! The technical upgrades were completed and came online last week."

"Begin countermeasures! Reduce electrical productivity in the immediate region, spread out to a four mile radius, Tempered Sky has a tendency to relocate the battle when he attacks his enemy, so let's make sure he doesn't get to the point where Severed Ring can get a recharge." 

A flurry of activity rushes through the room, seemingly echoing with the clatter of computer keystrokes. A meter appears on a side monitor, reading the dropping levels of electrical power being supplied to the area. "Good! Activate the dampeners! Let's see how much of a punch his energy rings hold when we flood the streets with sub-frequency vibrations on opposing wavelengths." A separate chart appears on screen, reading out the strength of the emitted frequency, and the measure of Severed Rings power output.

Several minutes go by before the monitor shows Tempered Sky fly through another energy ring before slamming into Severed Ring, knocking him out and ending the battle.

In a lower tone, sounding almost tired, "Switch to individual monitoring status. Thank you for tonight's service, but please, remain vigilant for other occurrences." The lead man of this Organization steps away from his position, dressed sharply in a brown suit, with a yellow shirt, sporting a silver capped cane. Automatic doors open to allow him passage to a long corridor before he hears swift clicking from a woman's high heeled shoes.

"Mr. Thaden! Mr. Thaden! I was wondering if I could have a few moments of your time?"

The silver haired gentleman eyes the woman up and down. "Certainly Ms. Noita. Do you mind if we continue walking as we converse?" Without an answer the older man begins walking, slightly leaning on his cane, though it's obvious he doesn't truly need it.

Sue Noita falls into step with him, struggling just a bit to maintain his speed. "I wanted to talk to you about…"

"About why I terminated your position with my public company, correct?" Sue nods, but has the feeling that Derek Thaden didn't need for her to confirm his suspicions. "Well, Ms. Noita, do you want the broad explanation, or the specific?"

Sue is taken aback that he is seemingly willing to divulge his motives. "The specific reasons, if you please."

Thaden smiles, "I knew that would catch your interest. Well, to sum it all up, as you worked for my public company, Thaden Immersive International, I took note of your prestigious background, your superb work in mathematics, and engineering. These are all qualities I value greatly, especially here in The Organization. During your tenure at Thaden Immersive, I supplanted specific ideas to you through mass emails, meetings and the such. Doing so, I ensured that after your termination, you would go on to create your own lucrative business venture, which you did, actually surpassing my expectations of you. Unfortunately I couldn't leave a resourceful mind such as yours in the throws of the business world, so I 'bought out' your partner. I use quotation marks because he was never really your partner, he was another pawn of my machinations, right from the beginning he was fully prepared to sell out to my offers, which then brought your company to an end, but enabled you to live a life of luxury. Again, I couldn't let your mind rot in such a manner, so I approached and recruited you to The Organization. Does that answer your questions?"

Sue Noita lags a step as she processes this revelation. "You're telling me that my business wasn't really my idea? That everything from the moment of my being hired was you using me?"

"No my dear. I haven't begun using you. Not yet." Thaden strokes his short silver beard. "The extent of your usefulness has yet to be determined." He expels a short sigh, "If that is all? I'd like to grab a coffee before my next shift."

Sue begins to nod, but stops herself. "No. That's not all. Since I have you here, I'd like to ask: Why did you found this Organization? You are the one who founded it. Correct?"

"What leads you to believe such a preposterous…"

"You're the only person associated with The Organization who has the means to create and fund this endeavor. Above that though, I also have reason to believe you were once a hero yourself."

Thaden eyes Sue suspiciously as he stops in his tracks, changing the way he grips his cane. "And just what hero would you believe me to have been?"

"An unknown hero. The way you've secured the secrecy of The Organization means you value anonymity, even down to the fact that no one who is employed here has any semblance of family, friends, or a social life, thus no one to tell their secret to."

"And what if your suspicions are true? Who would you tell? What would you do with this knowledge?"

"I was hoping that you might be open to training me?" Sue stands before Thaden, closing her eyes to focus. Before Thaden can speak, to dissuade Sue against seeking his tutelage, an aura of fissures erupts around her, obscuring Thadens view of her.

Thaden staggers back, actually surprised for the first time during their conversation. Each of the fissures displays differing elements, conflicting climates, otherworldly sounds emitting from them. Within seconds though, Sue's power fades from the hallway, leaving her drained.

"Ms. Noita, that was quite thrilling, and most impressive."

Doubled over and breathing heavily, Sue finally opens her eyes to look at Thaden again. "Will you train me sir?"

Thaden stares back at Sue, a sad smile spreading across his face. "Ms. Noita, you are correct that I was once a hero." Taking a deep breath, he reveals his longest kept secret. "I was a hero, without powers. I fought on par with villains, and even my partner who had enhanced strength."

"What was your codename?"

"I never had one. None of what I did was for recognition, or fame, but simply to do what I thought was necessary."

"You had a partner? What happened to him?"

Thaden smiles. "Well, my old friend went on to be named Striation." A look of awe takes over Sue's face. "Yes, he was always a bit of a showboat, even when we worked together, he would call out these boneheaded attacks. They never worked, all they did was alert the villains to his next move. Then he was photographed on the first night he wore his red suit, and he became utterly impossible to work with as he continued to seek that publicity. We went our separate ways, because I believed we needed to remain a secret, and he sought glory. Still though, he was a great friend, keeping my secret, even to this day."

"That's incredible Mr. Thaden. Why do you think Striation had powers, and you didn't?"

"Dear, heroes and villains gain their powers by a very fickle chance. For most villains, they are chosen by some nefarious higher being, sometimes a being referred to as a 'god' from some pantheon or another. Heroes though, and I believe this applies to you as well, they receive their powers in direct opposition or contrast to a newly minted villain. My current theory is that the spirit of the earth herself, Gaia, is the one who chooses heroes."

"Gaia?"

"Yes. Now, I must advise you to get some rest, my training regimen is murder on a newbie."

"You're going to train me?"

"As best I can dear." Thaden pats Sue's shoulder before he begins walking again. After a few steps though, Thaden stops and turns back to his new protege. "Sue Noita, with how I intend you to operate as a hero, this may be the only time you hear these words, so I'd like to say them myself. Thank you, for all you have done, and all that I believe you will accomplish"

April 29, 2023 03:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mike Rush
17:51 Apr 29, 2023

Andrew, Man, oh man! This ain't my genre, but I thoroughly enjoyed being in your realm while I read. It's a sweet blend of sci-fi and Marvel. This sentence, "Let's see how much of a punch his energy rings hold when we flood the streets with sub-frequency vibrations on opposing wavelengths." Was so cool. I have no idea if you made it up, and I have no idea what it means, but it authenticated you as an author, which for me, in a genre where I don't belong, is important. It's, "I don't know what's going on, but the guy telling this story does,...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.