"Cocoa Coziness: A Winter Tale of Friendship and Warmth"

Written in response to: Write a story where someone shares a cup of hot chocolate with a friend.... view prompt

0 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Friendship

Disha is a graphic designer who comes from Lucknow and has been in New Zealand for 5 years. Disha has a friend named Kiya who belongs to a poor family and lives in Lucknow. She is a teacher at a government school. Both the girls study in the same school. But after reaching college Disha comes to New Zealand.  Every month in December Disha visits to Lucknow to meet her parents. But she was never able to meet or contact Kiya who lived just a few distance away from her. Many years passed like this and one day everyone heard that Kiya eloped with one of the local guys who happened to be her boyfriend. But after a few days, her boyfriend clarified that he had not seen her for the last month. And also states that they have a huge fight over her highly ambitious talks. Disha is shocked to hear all these things about Kiya. One day after Disha returns to New Zealand from Lucknow it was a chilly night when Disha was making a cup of hot chocolate when suddenly she goes in remembrance of her and Kiya’s childhood. When Disha and Kiya were children one day while returning from school suddenly rain started to pour heavily so Disha took Kiya to her home. Disha belongs to a rich family and that day her mother makes hot chocolate for them. Both the girls enjoy that cup of hot chocolate and from that day whenever rain begins, Kiya goes to Disha’s home and shares a cup of hot chocolate with each other. Today after hearing so many negative things about Kiya Disha decided to find the truth and go deep about it as she didn’t believe in the rumours people were spreading about her.  Disha visited Lucknow and she contacted the school administration where Kiya used to work.  But nothing comes in hand. As Disha continues to investigate one day a miracle happens and Disha gets a call from New Zealand that someone has come to see her at her apartment. Shocks Disha leaves everything and heads back to New Zealand. But as she comes to the entrance of her apartment she is horrified to find a beautiful girl in the kitchen and the door of Disha’s apartment is wide open. Disha doesn’t remember the grown-up Kiya and ask her to introduce herself but Kiya doesn’t utter a word and just smiles at her and hand Disha a cup of hot chocolate and also pour one for herself. Disha is silent and after sometimes Kiya narrates her story. But that day Kiya didn’t say anything to her. The next day however Kiya starts to narrate. At first, Kiya tells Disha that she is in love with a boy named Mohan who belongs to Lucknow only. He was a software engineer who was living in the USA.  But the people in Lucknow start hating her family as she belongs to a poor family and a rich boy proposes to her. One of the local family hires a boy from their village and instruct him to woo Kiya and marry her so that she is not able to marry Mohan. But as soon as he is not able to pursue her and one day Mohan and Kiya marry each other the people of Lucknow become furious about it and kill the boy who was instructed to marry Kiya and they pour acid in Kiya’s face after which they left her to suffer along with Mohan. After a few years, Mohan passed away due to a heart attack. Kiya suffers a lot after his death. Everyone discarded her and disowned her from the entire Lucknow. After a few years, Kiya did plastic surgery on her face with the money Mohan had. Disha is shocked to learn about this painful story of KIya and feels sorry for her and her loss. Disha promises to help Kiya to lead a better life and asks Kiya to stay with her. The friends whose paths are apart meet again and now both of them promise to live together and work together. Kiya starts working in a school in New Zealand and Disha continues her work as a graphic designer. Disha is unmarried for the rest of her life and both friends stay with each other forever both the girls drink a cup of hot chocolate sometimes Kiya made and sometimes Disha herself. After a few years, they open a home for girls who suffer from acidic attacks and give them a loving and caring environment. They are served hot chocolate as breakfast and snacks to the acidic attack girls by Disha and Kiya.  The girls love the hot chocolate. Soon after a few years as the girls are becoming old they decide to explore their home. So they teach the girls to make hot chocolate and open a hot chocolate training along with the home. After a few years, Disha dies due to blood cancer. Kiya along with one of the girl run the home and the training institution. After a few years, Kiya also dies a natural death. Now the girls who stay in the home run the institution and home. There is a big banner of Disha and Kiya. The same kindness and hospitality are present here and everyone shares a cup of hot chocolate in their memories. This news spread like a fire and today lots of interviews have taken place.  Many girls publish the recipe on the internet and many people make that recipe during the winter seasons as a memory of Disha and Kiya. After finishing the story Deben shows it to his publisher who gets impressed by his writing style. Deben Varma is a young writer who works in a publishing corporation. Although he is a male he is famous for woman empowerment. And “Cocoa Coziness: A Winter Tale of Friendship and Warmth” is another masterpiece. The way he explains the friendship between Disha and Kiya is just amazing. Their journey of friendship and also the incident that changes Kiya’s life ends up with her most trusted person her friend her one and only companion. 

December 08, 2023 04:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.