0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

The ad in the matrimonial column read: “Male 38 years, Master of Business Administration, working for a large company needs bride. I am a divorcee. Own an apartment in which I live alone. Divorcee will be considered.” Other details were the usual photo and contact details. He received 4 responses and felt the one from Asha was suitable. He invited her for dinner at a restaurant and she accepted. He was waiting for her wearing a flowered T-shirt over well-ironed trousers. He was tall. fair and bearded with his curly hair nicely parted and was a striking figure at the restaurant. Asha arrived in time. She was fair and tall with long hair spread over her shoulders and was nicely made up too. She was wearing jeans with a flowered blouse on top and looked quite attractive. He noticed she had almost no jewellery on her but carried an expensive handbag as could be seen from the brand name.

He said “Madam Asha, I’m Naveen.”

She nodded and he led her to the dining room where a table had been booked by him. They had appetisers and shared background details. Then she said “I’m not married but.....” She paused and said “We need to be frank. Let me continue about my past. I was in Chicago when I met someone who suited me – a young man from India. We met a few times and got engaged. He.......” Naveen saw she had difficulty in proceeding further and he guessed the details were painful.

He said “I know it would be painful for you to speak about disagreeable happenings of the past. However trust will beget trust. Food is being served. You can talk as we eat.”

She was impressed with the man’s empathy. She asked “Mr.Naveen you’ve said nothing about yourself.”

“I joined this firm where I work two years ago.” He realised that he should speak about himself and said “I got married to Lily who had been a colleague in another firm where I had worked earlier”. He paused and said “We’ve to wash our dirty linen as it were in the presence of each other.” He sighed and said “I soon realised Lily and I weren’t the type to get on together. We had widely different views on almost everything. We got a divorce by mutual consent. After our separation I had given up all thought of remarriage. But then how long can one live in isolation? And my ad appeared and you responded. How was it in your case?”

She liked his forthrightness and felt encouraged to speak. She said “As I said I was in Chicago and had met Nayak with whom I had come into contact through my friends in India. We met a few times and then decided to get married the following March. During the December holidays we went camping and due to weakness on both sides I lost my virginity. In February Nayak was killed in an air crash. If you’re going to marry me you should know all details about me.” They were now eating and she said “I’ve still got the job in Chicago. I was tired of the American way of life and wanted to choose married life in India. That was why I responded to your ad and have been frank.”

Naveen said “Let me think it over.”

“You haven’t told me where you live.”

“I own a penthouse apartment in Eldorado. Perhaps you know where it is.”

“Sure. It’s a well-known high rise. How do you manage there?”

“I’ve an elderly woman living in the upstairs room. She runs the house and cooks for me. Very reliable. She has been with me over 5 years now.”

At once Asha’s mind thought she could tap info about Lily and so on by talking to cook.

Two days later Naveen called up Asha and said “If you consent I’m willing to marry you.”

She said “Fine. When will it be?”

“In the next ten days.”

The witnesses signed and the wedding was over. Naveen took the bride home. He introduced Cook to her and Asha thought that Cook would be a gossip monger and resolved to be friendly with her.

Naveen showed no haste in sex with Asha. He thought he was still courting her. However Asha was active and it was her initiative that set the two to be intimate. He was to learn that he had a wife and  mistress in one Asha! And the number of things he didn’t know! He concluded that Nayak was surely a past-master in the simple reproductive act which ability he had transmitted to Asha!

Meanwhile Asha had opportunities of talking to Cook. She asked Cook about Naveen’s first wife Lily. Cook said that the relations between Naveen and Lily were normal. She was in high praise of Naveen. She said “You’re lucky you landed him. He’s most cooperative and accommodating. Very helpful to people, particularly the poor.”

“Why did Naveen divorce Lily?”

“Because of her rigidity in running the household. She wouldn’t tolerate any infringement of her code. Naveen had invited his Boss and Mrs home for dinner. I had arranged with a caterer to serve an elaborate meal. The guest was late since his wife had hurt her knee and couldn’t come. Lily refused to participate and went out. From then on there were frequent quarrels between the two. She suddenly left with her belongings and never returned. She was a bad character as far as he was concerned. After the divorce he said he would never marry again. But then he changed his mind. He was impressed with you and gave up that resolve.”

“Why did Lily refuse to participate?”

“How can I know? I’m a simple cook.”

Asha and Naveen got on well. Then one day Naveen said “Our wedding anniversary is coming. I”ll invite Boss and his wife to dinner.”

She said “Sure.”

Asha and Cook made arrangements for the dinner. However boss came alone as he said his wife had sudden guests at home. Boss consumed liquor fast and was soon in an inebriated condition. He patted Asha on the back while joking. In a while Boss started taking further liberties with Asha when she chided him. She slapped him hard when he tried to grope her. He fell into a drunken stupor and had to be carried out to his car. The chauffeur said this would happen often and drove away homewards.

After Boss had left, Naveen questioned Asha about her insulting behaviour towards the Boss. She shouted “No one except you can touch the parts of me which that fellow attempted.”

Naveen said “He is an old man and can do no more.”

“There’re limits to such behaviour towards another’s wife.”

In due course the diinner had its effect. Naveen was sacked for incompetence at his job. He said “Asha see what you’ve done?”

“What I had done is right.”

“Now I’ve no job. This man will give me a bad report and no one will recruit me.”

“You’re unreasonable. Instead of defending me you’re finding fault with me. It’s shameful. If you can’t support me without a job, I’ll get back to Chicago.”  And that is what happened.

In Chicago, Asha ran into Lily herself by chance. When she said she was Mrs.Naveen Lily said “You married the wrong guy. Was Cook working there?”

Asha nodded. Lily said “She is a procuress and was being used by Naveen to keep his bosses satisfied. I divorced Naveen after I saw an orgy in the premises with even Cook participating. That Boss had a wife who was ugly, and huge and he used Naveen and Cook to satisfy himself with more eligible women.”

“Naveen said the boss wasn’t capable of anything beyond groping.”

“Could be. But he was a keen watcher of debaucheries in that place. Naveen was probably slowly trying to allow orgies with Cook bringing in participants and with your consent. I feel sorry for you. Divorce that Naveen and find someone else.”

“I’ve no luck! I’ll divorce the fellow and continue here.”

END

November 24, 2020 12:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.